Tech game, wow

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Mr. Football, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Mr. Football

Mr. Football 100+ Posts

That's like two years in a row the Red Raiders come back to win in a highly improbable fashion. Leach is now 5-1 in bowls over the last six years.

2. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

3. Burnt Orange™

Burnt Orange™ 25+ Posts

Wow. Add another win for the big 12!

4. Mr. Football

Mr. Football 100+ Posts

So that's 4-2, correct?

Texas, Texas Tech, Mizzou and Okie State win

OU, KU yet to play

Could go 6-2. Not bad considering the SEC commish had his hand in the bowl slotting.

5. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

Congrats to the Pirate and that offense that has never won a big game at any level.

Not such a crappy league after all huh?

6. homer

homer 500+ Posts

Not hiring Mike Leach -- a loss for UCLA/PAC-10. A big win for Tech/BIg-12.

Ohh..yeah...and a BIG BIG BIG loss for pooooooooooooooor aggggggy.

7. crimsonlonghorn

crimsonlonghorn 100+ Posts

We gave up on it when UVA went up by 14. Luckily I still had the last few minutes it saved in the Tivo buffer when my brother called me to talk about it, so I rewound and witnessed UVA's major meltdown in arrears. Talk about GIVING it away, all they needed was 1-2 first downs at any point in the last three minutes and they don't lose - or at least get to overtime. Nice win for the Big XII. [​IMG]

8. 4th&5

4th&5 1,000+ Posts

9. EPThorn

EPThorn 500+ Posts

10. capitalcity

capitalcity 100+ Posts

I was listening in the car when Riley (OL) f'ed up his foot/ankle.

Did anybody see it? Tech radio was saying it was turned around the other way, and then they couldn't figure out how to secure him to the cart cause he's a biggin.

11. malageno

malageno 25+ Posts

Tech fan here... that was probably as bad a performance by the entire team since the CU game. Dropped balls, receivers making the wrong reads, stupid penalties, players running into each other, linning up offsides, not getting the right personnel in, etc.

Anyway, it was a good win versus a well coached UVA team but Tech should have murdered them. I think they UVA as in shock at the end of the game but a win is a win. Next year should be interesting but I hope Tech can land one of the top flight receivers it is recruiting as they need someone else other than Crab on offense. Tech is the 2nd youngest team in the country and so another year of maturity will do wonders.

12. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

It looked like Tech was trying to give the game away. UVA just refused to win.

13. NebLHAB

NebLHAB 500+ Posts

Despite that toad Harrell (this year), I always try to catch Tech's bowl game for the entertainment factor. Like Cal v Tech in the Dec 04 Holiday Bowl, these folks that don't play Tech just don't understand [​IMG] Basketball on Grass. UV is just another victim.

AND another bowl win for the Big XII.

m/

14. malageno

malageno 25+ Posts

UVA is just that bad. A half-way decent team would have beaten Tech like a tied up goat. Tech should have killed them. However, Chris Long is a total bad *** and will be a stud in the NFL. I don't think I have seen a single defensive lineman other than one from NCState a few years ago who later blew out his knees that caused Tech so many problems.

Best individual performance versus Tech is still OU's Roy Williams who made Kingsbury crap his pants and the best defensive gameplan was by Greg Robinson of UT.

15. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Tech squandered so many opportunities early that I thought they were destined to lose that game. They had 4th and goal on the 2 and didn't get it mid 4th and I thought that was it....

that is what I get for doubting the power of the pirate [​IMG] aarrrrrgggghhh!

16. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

Ahoy matey! [​IMG]

I thought Al Groh went out of character by passing a couple of times at the end. UVa really hurt their own cause, but then Tech was imploding all day, as noted above. Glad this one went to TT.

17. homerX

homerX 100+ Posts

While it was a hell of a comeback (or give-up depending upon how you look at it), Harrell was playing so ****-a-ly that I wanted to reach inside my TV and slap his gigantic bobble-head. Hell, even Crabtree was dropping anything throw his way. Just an all out rotten performance.... right up till the backup QB for Virginia screwed the pooch and let the Pirates back in.

Why can't we get one of those performances out of a Tech QB from time to time? [​IMG]

18. skyranger43

skyranger43 100+ Posts

The mad scientist may have more up his sleeve. He has (2) 4- Star, JC, DEs recruited and is in on the top 1 or 2 rated WR in the country from Alabama. Hang on to your hats boys the scientist is in his lab!

19. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

They had to go with sparkles as they could not get the sequins to not make bumps on the helmets under the top coat. Maybe next year.

Leach's idea of the team wearing eye patches did not work either. Survived the first six plays in the spring game.

20. Oranjello

Oranjello 100+ Posts

"Swing your sword." [​IMG]

21. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

Concerning not winning a big game at any level with that style of offense:

Rings and Trophies are what distinguishes Big Games.

Remember UH, the 1992-1995 Buffalo Bills, the Warren Moon Oilers, etc? The "Greatest Show on Turf" is fun to watch, but there are no cigars at the end.

22. BreakPoint778

BreakPoint778 25+ Posts

What about the New England Patriots? They are basically doing the same thing that Tech is doing. Passing the ball 70% of the time, with little dump-offs to Welker and the occasional deep ball to Moss. They may win a title this year with a similar offense.

Seems like the spread is moving on to the nfl as well.

23. malageno

malageno 25+ Posts

Just think this year Tech played significant parts of the year with three walk-on offensive lineman as they had to replace four starters from the previous year. They recruited very well on the oline last year and bit the bullet and were able to redshirt them all.

Tech also lost three of their top receivers and their starting running back who essentially quit playing. On defense, they started a very young team that consisted mostly of freshman or true sophmores and fired the worst DC in the history of college football during midseason. Despite this, they posted nine wins with the second youngest team in the country.

If you look at the present and future, things look pretty good. Leach has finally figured out the importance of recruiting and has a staff that now dedicates a lot more energy iand time n this area. Defensive recruiting has really improved and they are finally developing some depth on both lines. On defense, they will add two JUCO DEs that will contribute immediately and be an upgrade over what they currently have. This will enable them over the next few years to at least compete with OU and UT on the line of scrimmage.

All that is missing now is a few more top flight receivers that can be playmakers similar to Crabtree. That is a few players that can match up one on one with UT's and OU's defensive backs. I think Tech will sign one or two difference makers on offense as they finally disproved the lies that OU, Okie light and aggy used against them with Crabtree. Schools can no longer say that a reciever will not get enough touches or recognition in Tech's offense as they have to split receptions with 3-4 other guys.

These next few years are going to be interesting and I am pretty optimistic about what Tech can do in the Big 12. Forget about running the table but who knows how the South will fall next year or in 2009.

24. baboso

baboso 250+ Posts

"Just wait 'til next season." The annual cry of the Red Raider faithful.

25. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I watched it-a crappy game with a great ending. Tech played badly almost the entire game. That was an ugly injury to the lineman on the touchdown play late-I think a Tech lineman pushed a Virginia lineman down on the back of the guy's leg, and it broke badly. I guess it is amazing that sort of thing doesn't happen more often, with all those huge bodies flying around withing a yard or two of the line of scrimmage. Hope he will be OK.
    Tech can be a real handful to stop when the qb and receivers are on the same page. They weren't for some reason yesterday.

26. Les Claypool

Les Claypool 25+ Posts

27. malageno

malageno 25+ Posts

Tech is recruiting the following recievers right now listed by their Rivals position ranking:

1) Julio Jones - 5 star - Foley, Ala.
    4) DeAndre Brown - 5 Star - Ocean Springs, Ms.
    5) Deion Walker - 4 Star - Christchurch, Va.
    7) Jameel Owens - 4 Star - Muskogee, Ok.
    28) Jarious Wright - 4 Star - Warren, Ark.

This list means nothing for UT or OU who have 4 stars piled up, but for Tech, it is a big deal. Just think if Tech steals Jones or Brown plus Jarious Wright who is a shaky Arkansas commit. That would immediately be an upgrade over very solid but not physically talented Danny Amendola and Erick Morris.

Also a great blog posting by Richard Justice from the Houston Chronical on how young Tech was this year:

blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2008/01/guns_up_red_rai.html

28. Virginia committed the cardinal sin against Texas Tech.

They got a 14 point lead and tried to sit on it against the West Texas Pirate. That...is a big no-no. Gots to keep your foot on the gas against Tech. UVA learned that the hard way.

29. skyranger43

skyranger43 100+ Posts

Husker love your style! VA did commit the cardinal sin and tried to sit on a lead. They only had 14 pts! Heck, Minnesota had 'em 38-7 and tried to set on it and got bit. The West Texas Pirate! I love it. Boy does he make the Big 12 interesting!

30. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

Why hasn't Julio Jones committed to anyone yet? Every school on his 'list' seems to think they still have a chance.