Ted Kennedy apparently has passed

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Horn-N-LA, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Horn-N-LA

Horn-N-LA 1,000+ Posts

Just saw on FOX news.

Didn't care for his politics, but he was a fighter for his beliefs, gotta respect him for that. End of an era.

2. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

cnn too.

Love him or hate him...he was an icon.

Imagine of JFK, RFK, and Jr., all so beloved, that probably the most hated of the family lived so long.

3. Namewithheld

Namewithheld 2,500+ Posts

His politics sucked but I admire the ol' man for sticking by his beliefs.

The problem with his politics was that his legislation always affected everyone but himself. Also I wonder how much the 1969 Chappaquiddick incident, when he left Mary Jo Kopechne to die in the submerged car will be mentioned. That incident kept him from being President. In the praises for him today I hope they won't be too "Camalot" because he sure wasn't.

Prepare for a MAJOR push by some to use his death as a catayst for healthcare......the syrup is going to flow in the coming days.

4. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

5. Orangeblood90

Orangeblood90 250+ Posts

Rest in piece, icon for sure

Now there may be a small glimmer of hope to see some of my tax dollars on day returning to my wallet.

6. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Better go with what my Mother taught me about if I don't have anything nice to say....

RIP [​IMG]

7. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

Well, he finally got across a bridge.

Hope he can RIP.

8. groverat

groverat 2,500+ Posts

Class always tells, they say.

9. MojoMan

MojoMan 1,000+ Posts

Rest in Peace, Ted.

10. UT Spring Branch

UT Spring Branch 500+ Posts

My condolences to his family

11. johnnyhorn

johnnyhorn 250+ Posts

I never did get the whole Democratic adoration of the Kennedys. I guess I am too young. That being said, RIP.

12. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I humbly offer a prayer of comfort for his family and friends.

13. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

This is truly the end of an era, the last of the four Kennedy brothers and the only one to die of natural causes.
    Teddy was beset by demons in his younger days, and had a serious drinking problem, but he quit at some point, either due to his marriage to his wife Vicky or because of the example he was setting to younger family members who got into serious trouble (probably the latter).
    At some point he dedicated himself to being the best senator he could be, and is recognized as the most effective senator at least since LBJ. Joe Scarborough and Pat Buchannan were including him in the names of the most effective senators at least of modern times, even mentioning him along side giants like Henry Clay, on this mornings' show.
    Despite being rich and privileged, the Kennedys devoted themselves to public service, and championed the rights of the poor, the workers, and the aged in many legislative issues, such as minimum wage laws, medicare, and the current health care reform battle. This is why they are so beloved by the public, because they didn't have to open themselves up to the public scrutiny and criticism which goes with the jobs they chose.
    Senator Kennedy is the last of an era in another important way, as he is noted for working both sides of the aisle, and befriending political opponents, who often found some common ground with him. Few remain who work this way in the legislature, unfortunately.

14. allweatherHorn

allweatherHorn 1,000+ Posts

Some of you guys are pretty judgemental -- at the least appropriate time to be so. Kennedy, like anyone, had some significant shortcomings. The death of Mary Jo Kopechne was tragic, and Kennedy certainly bore fault in that -- even if no one but him could ever know with certainty what happened. But he also had a hand in a lot of legislation that helped disadvantaged people, including minorities and those stricken with HIV and AIDS. At the time of his death, maybe a little forgiveness and even credit is due the man.

15. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

16. allweatherHorn

17. johnnyhorn

johnnyhorn 250+ Posts

18. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I was commenting this morning how I can listen to conservative points of view from Pat Buchannan because he thinks before speaking, chooses his words wisely, and respects the opposition, which is how Ted Kennedy won friends on both sides of the aisle and was able to work with them.
    A lesson to be learned by some around here, and I know, I can certainly improve in that regard myself.

19. Namewithheld

Namewithheld 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

20. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

Wow, did not take long...
    The Link

Byrd: Rename health care bill for Kennedy

[​IMG]

21. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

I woke up to the news and as i was daydreaming on my drive into work, i had some sliver hope the Kennedy thread on this board wouldn't turn into what it is becoming.

I wanted to believe. I fully expected this type of thread at Texags. Was hoping not here. I should have dismissed my naivete.

Sigh.

22. Nordberg

Nordberg 1,000+ Posts

I like it when those of you that are true sacks of **** openly show yourselves. It makes it easier in the future to skip your posts.

23. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

Didn't like his politics, but admired his passion. RIP. [​IMG]

Lost 2 this week to brain tumors. First, Bob Novack, and now Ted Kennedy. I'm afraid I'll be joining them in the next year. Once I gather my thoughts on this, I plan to post my own EOL thoughts on Quacks in a month or so.

24. buckhorn

buckhorn 1,000+ Posts

Ted Ed could be a gas bag. He made errors, some egregious. He also was an effective senator and gave his life to the process of democracy. I admire the Kennedys for consistently taking up the mantle of public service.

RIP

25. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

So.....the Ds now have 59 senators. That's one vote short of a filibuster proof margin. Assume the Mass legislature doesn't change their law to allow the Governor to appt a successor.......can the Rs successfully filibuster the HC legislation...?

26. 911_horn

911_horn 500+ Posts

27. DFWAg

DFWAg 1,000+ Posts

28. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

14bevo or whatever ur name is, Your a real class act is all I can say

29. allweatherHorn

Are you switching to Seagrams? Seriously, your posts could only be explained by alcohol or home invasion.

30. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

Yeah and Im sure you worship Bush, cheney and all the other war criminals