Tell me about Haas School of Business (Berkeley)

Discussion in 'Horn Network' started by LongIslandIceSIP, Nov 13, 2007.

1. LongIslandIceSIP

LongIslandIceSIP 500+ Posts

Anyone know much about their MBA program? How is this school seen by "the street"? I've heard a big part of an MBA is the name of the program and the perception people have of their graduates.

thanks.

2. milk_monitor

milk_monitor 100+ Posts

Are you doing finance? Consulting? What?

3. LongIslandIceSIP

General management. But I want an MBA that is a good long-term "wild-card" for the future in case I someday want to switch careers.

4. Gardner Barnes

Gardner Barnes 250+ Posts

your MBA is only good for your first career. After that is all performance in your position. Dont expect it to open doors outside the Career Center.

5. LongIslandIceSIP

let me get this straight... Assuming I go back to my same industry after an MBA, and do a similar job (but higher up because of the degree)... it would be a waste?

So you're saying that 2-3 years after an MBA, I can't use the MBA as an excuse/ticket to change careers? (*IF* I ever decided to switch down the road)

Or that 2-3 years after an MBA, the name/prestige of the school I got the MBA from won't matter at all?

So... if I don't want to switch career paths right now, then I should
    a) not even bother getting an MBA?
    b) get one from a "cheaper" school?
    c) wait until I want to switch careers before I get an MBA?

6. LongIslandIceSIP

BTW I'm in technology now... and want to continue in the tech industry for a while.

I just want a "shortcut" for moving up faster... and I want a "ticket" to something different in case I some day want to change.

7. Gardner Barnes

Gardner Barnes 250+ Posts

wait until you want to switch careers to get an MBA.

8. milk_monitor

milk_monitor 100+ Posts

9. hornbeliever

hornbeliever 25+ Posts

I was accepted and visited Haas on one of their admit weekends. really great people, really great school. program seemed like it would be a challenge. all these factors make me say that you should go for it.

i had different reasons for going to school, though. wasn't directly for money. it was to take a break from reality and do something that was "valued" at the same time which is code for get drunk for a couple years, date around, and study every once in a while.

as far as full vs part time, once you graduate and are in a company, doesn't make a difference. however, the networking you miss out on is invaluable. i don't even use my friends for help in my career, but we do invest in projects together (that i could never do with my drunk undergrad friends)

10. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

11. LongIslandIceSIP

Yeah, it's Cal Berkeley.

Thanks for the advice so far.

From the info sessions I've attended, I noticed most of the people there have a technology background, not surprising from being in the Bay Area. However, Haas also has a great Entrepreneurship program, and that is something that interests me too.

12. iamtigerwoods

iamtigerwoods 500+ Posts

If Bay Area is your interest, I would think Stanford is a much better option..

13. LongIslandIceSIP

Yeah, I love Stanford. But they only offer a full time program. My opportunity cost to go to school full time is way too high. Not sure I would ever get a positive ROI on that. (2 yrs lost salary, 2 years tuition, 2 years living expenses)

Because I'm only considering part-time programs, Berkeley is the best option.

14. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

One thing to consider (if you are looking to change jobs once you graduate) is that placement from part-time programs is ****. I had to practically threaten to sue SMU to get any help from their placement office.

15. LongIslandIceSIP

Great advice. I'll be sure to take all of these things into consideration.

I really, really like my job right now. So leaving after the MBA is not a big consideration at the moment. However, I do believe that the MBA would help me move up the ranks faster. I'd say it would speed up the process.

16. hookemhookem

hookemhookem < 25 Posts

I got my MBA from there two years ago, so I can probably tell you more than you want to know. Feel free to PM. BTW, I don't think the comment about poor job placements from the parttime program hold true at Haas. The part time students were siting in the same on-campus interviews as those of us in the fulltime program.

17. LongIslandIceSIP

Thanks for you input hookem, PM sent.