Tell me about Miami

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by KingBobo81, May 7, 2008.

1. KingBobo81

KingBobo81 250+ Posts

I am going to Miami for business in a few weeks and may just schedule a Memorial Day weekend out of it. I have never been...where do I go, what do I do?

2. CalHornGal

CalHornGal 25+ Posts

Joe's Stone Crabs (get the stone crabs with the incredible creamy mustard sauce)
    Yummmmmm

You'll empty your wallet - but its well worth it. Don't stray from your mission - the stone crabs are what you are after. NOTE - they are known for their "no reservations" policy. Be prepared to wait. There used to be a crusty old maitre'd that the locals had a "password" with (which would turn your potential 2 hour wait into 20 minutes) - but he's got to be long gone by now...RIP.

No relation to Joe's Crab Shack - thankfully.

3. Nuclear Bear

Nuclear Bear 1,000+ Posts

South Beach-- Tourists, Euro Trash. If you have never been to miami you have to do SOBE at least once. Not really my favorite part of Miami, but a lot of fun.
    Mangos, The Clevelander (not sure if this place is still open), the Delano are all cool places. SOBE is not very big so its pretty easy to go bar hopping.

Coconut Grove- Where Miami residents and college kids hang out. Some very nice restuarants and bars in an area known as the Coco Walk. Not far from the University of Miami. Pretty upscale, posh area. Think Rice Village in Houston or West Village in Dallas.....but much cooler.

Ft Lauderdale- More laid back beach scene up in Broward County than in Dade. Will seem much More "American" than Miami which translates to more WASP's. Much cleaner than Miami and still a pretty good scene. When i lived in South Florida I lived in Broward county and preffered it to living in Miami-Dade County.

Aventura- Very nice mall in Northern Miami that straddles the Dade County, Broward County line. I have never in my life been in a place that had more hot women.

4. crash_davis

crash_davis 250+ Posts

miami is a nice place to visit, ONCE. go enjoy the latin/cuban scene and then be thankful that it's isolated to miami only. chics are hot but are bigger gold diggers than strippers. the entire city culture is more fake than a dallas divorced mom.

as others mentioned above, see the other sites. but you do have to do the sobe thing, just once. that way you'll learn never to go back.

5. GatorHorn

GatorHorn 250+ Posts

As for some off-the-beaten path type of indulgence, there is some nice historic architecture at Viscaya and Coral Gables but you'll need a car really to enjoy it. Viscaya isn't that far from the Coconut Grove scene, however. Coral Gables has a vibe similar to the areas near Rice U., as a comparison.

Other than that, I can't add much more to the conversation. Everything is pretty spot on, although traffic around Aventura can be one serious bastard, so be prepared.

6. Iconoclast Texan

Iconoclast Texan 250+ Posts

I am going to South Beach for Memorial Day weekend as well and am staying at the Hotel Victor. Any opinions as to that hotel. WIll hit Nobu and Tuscan Steak for sure. Any recommendations as to nightclubs/bars good for a couple in their 30s?

7. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

You had better take one of these along.

[​IMG]

8. The Bloak

The Bloak 100+ Posts

2nd Coral Gables......solid area with some nice bars/restaurants.

On Ocean Blvd (South Beach) you will find your tourists and guys standing by their lamborghini, bentley, etc to pose for the tourists and pick up said gold diggers.

Walk a couple of blocks off Ocean and you will find some better clubs. Two things: be prepared to wait- bouncers will create lines to make a club look popular yet there are 20 people inside and the drinks are INSANELY expensive- talking $13 for a crown and coke. I will say the people watching is something to behold.

9. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

10. DeadHorse

DeadHorse 1,000+ Posts

11. longhrnfan

longhrnfan 500+ Posts

PM me with specific questions. I live and work in Miami.

12. The Bloak

The Bloak 100+ Posts

Napoleon, tip noted.

As you can guess, going to uber-trendy clubs is not something I do frequently, so someone, like myself, who doesn't hit these places all that often probably wouldn't expect to pay $13 for a crown and coke either.

I guess next time I'll just have to say damn the torpedos and do bottle service- be like the other cool guys in their shiny shirts and ostrich skin boots. Awesomeness!

13. stabone

stabone 500+ Posts

14. Utkclack15

Utkclack15 100+ Posts

A someone who lived there half his life, there is a bit of truth to everything posted on this thread.

15. KazooMan

KazooMan 250+ Posts

If you are flying in or out, try to go into FLL instead of Miami International - MIA is America's token 3rd world airport, and has more stolen items from luggage than any place outside of JFK. And if you are going to be in South FL over a long weekend, head down to the keys for a day - laid back, great beaches, and a Crown & Coke will not empty your wallet (until you get to Key West!). I agree on seeing SOBE - once will probably be enough, but you will never believe what we tell you about the eye candy until you actually experience the view.

16. NoleHorn

NoleHorn 25+ Posts

I have a dream that someday the rest of the state of Florida can seperate from miami.

17. Texas007

Texas007 1,000+ Posts