Tell me again why we allow this?

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by CedarParkFan, Sep 16, 2014.

1. CedarParkFan

CedarParkFan 1,000+ Posts

Islam at its finest.

Seriously? This is now acceptable on our streets? Yeah, I know all about the First Amendment and the Establishment Clause, etc . . . But common sense has always dictated reasonable limits. You know the fire on a crowded theater" analogy. I used to think we've lost our moral compass and national pride. Now I know.

2. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

What part are you upset about? The weird float with no clear meaning?

3. CedarParkFan

Geez, never mind. [​IMG]

4. Larry T. Spider

I'll just play the guessing game. Is it the parade? Well that's been going on for 29 years. Is it the float? That might be offensive but the article claims to not know the meaning of the design. Honestly not sure what I'm supposed to be mad about.

5. CedarParkFan

A float depicting a hanging with images of violence plastered all over the side of it, images symbolic of the Muslim brotherhood, and thematic violence on display. It's not difficult to see what they are promoting.

6. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

The clueless PC Left.

7. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

CPF,

I'm generally unsympathetic to the plight of the Muslim, but you're wrong on this. Their message might be bad, and they be be communicating that message in a pretty screwed up manner. However, they have every right to do it, and we shouldn't develop an exception to the First Amendment to keep them from doing it. The remedy for stupid speech like what these Muslims are preaching is more speech to point out its stupidity, not a restraint on them from making the speech.

The "fire in the crowded theater" analogy isn't applicable. The state can prohibit that kind of speech, because it would create a panic in the theater and put the people inside in a very real, direct, and immediate danger of death or severe injury. That's not the case with these Muslims.

And Mich makes a very strong point. If we allow those wingnuts (and I don't care what your politics are, those guys look like nuts) to openly carry real guns in a Chipotle, how can we disallow another group from carrying fake guns in a parade? Doesn't make much sense.

9. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

Mr. Deez, welcome to the clueless, PC Left.
    . Hell George W Bush and Ronald Reagan wouldn't fit in with these guys anymore.

10. Larry T. Spider

Is be pissed if I knew they were promoting jihad. I'm not sure what they are promoting. Something to do with Egypt is all I can tell. Maybe the images of violence on the side of the truck are them claiming to be the victims of said violence. Nobody really knows at this point so I'll save my daily rage for something else.

11. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

chango?
    Honestly what point are you trying to make?

from you:
    Mr. Deez, welcome to the clueless, PC Left."

and then you mention Bush and Reagan.
    If you looked in a mirror maybe you'd see clueless too>

12. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

13. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I'm not fond of the Muslim Brotherhood, but there is an undemocratic, fearfully repressive government in place in Egypt that kills and intimidates. Egyptians can't protest at home, but they can protest here. Whenever Muslims need government permission to make a political statement and then we start making a list of who else needs permission ... well, I for one thank God for our Constitution and folks willing to defend it even for those who express unpopular ideas.

14. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

15. Seattle Husker

BTW, I don't have a problem with the police asking the parade guys not to carry the fake weapons. That seems to be inline with public safety as you never know when one of those Open Carry nuts could be packing in the crowd and go Rambo on the "jihadists".

I also think the police should be able to stop the open carry nuts from carry semi-automatic rifles into fast food restaurants in the interest of public safety.

16. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

In the interest of Public Safety, if you are a law abiding citizen with a permit and a license, I see no reason for you not to be able to carry a weapon, sure would have helped those folks at Luby's in Killeen back in the early 1990's. Not to mention a couple of McDonalds and a Humperdinks in Dallas.

17. Seattle Husker

18. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

19. CedarParkFan

I know that they are within their legal rights. My point is that there are limits to what is acceptable. I guess the troubling aspect is that they feel so comfortable putting this on display considering the climate that exists today regarding radical Islam, jihad, and the expressed desire for Muslim caliphate. Someone in an earlier post made reference to whether or not this could be viewed as pro jihadist. I don't think that's too much of a stretch. The float depicting the mock execution or hanging may play a part in shaping my perception.

Chango, as usual, I've got no clue as to what your post means in reference to the "PC left" followed by your reference to Bush and Reagan.

20. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

Why do you hate the Constitution of the United States, Cedar Park fan?

21. CedarParkFan

I don't hate the Constitution. Read my above post again. I recognize their legal right. I guess the title of the thread should be "why do we allow this to go unchallenged?" Hate the Constitution? Really?

22. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

CPF
    You know that is a silly attempt to discredit you.
    old tactic
    anyone who ha ever read one post from you knows where you stand.

23. CedarParkFan

Thanks Horn. I did get a little emotional regarding the content of the parade, but never intended to portray a hatred for the First Amendment or the Constitution.

24. Seattle Husker

I think the problem is that you heard "muslim parade" and equated them all to jihadists without looking at the context. When was the last time you saw a jihadist running around in military camo? You saw the "hanging" of a woman in a hijab, pictures of dead on the side of the truck and assumed they were jihadis out in the open on our soil. Heck, TheBlaze.com was counting on that reaction.

In reality, they were muslims protesting against what they view as religious persecution by a military controlled government.

We all fall victim to jumping to conclusions based on incomplete information. You simply chose to post that wrong
    conclusion here, like Horn69 on the Foxnews thread.

25. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I understand that we must hold the first amendment dear even when the speech or acts disgust us.
    I don't understand how students in Calif who choose to wear our flag on Shirts or display American patrioctic symbols can be ordered to take them off.
    Nor do I understand how students who chose to display flags on their vehicles on 9*11 could be ordered to take them down.
    all so we don't offend others?

26. CedarParkFan

Good point Horn. It's gotta work both ways. We'd bend over backward to avoid offending any type of minority population. By the way, minority is not limited to race.

27. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

VPH
    Apparently students don't have the same freedom of speech as non students. The 2 lower courts who upheld the school's right to send the American kids home who wore USA flags could do so IF the school felt the Mexican kids might be upset seeing the American flag, since it was on May 05(which as we know is NOT a big day in Mexico)

But, as an example, seeing Christ in a bucket of urine, even if it offends many people, Christians and others, is perfectly ok.

This will probably end up at the SC

28. Larry T. Spider

29. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

larry T
    If you don't remember the issue a quick search will provide you all the info you want and with sources you feel are credible.