Tell me how to cook my talapia

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by jt09, Nov 1, 2007.

1. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

I bought a couple of talapia filets the other day out of curiousity (and the salmon was all gone). Going to grill them up tonight. Anything besides lime, S&P and fire I should add?

2. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

i usually just melt a bit of butter and mix it with mustard and lightly baste it on, then lightly sprinkle some paprika on top. tastes good.

for appearance's sake, may want to toss something green on top too, but i usually don't bother with that - minced green onions maybe?

bottom line, tilapia will basically taste like whatever flavors you put on it, so go easy.

3. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

I usually like to take panko (sp? the japanesse bread crumbs) and mix parmesian (good stuff not kraft) and some seasonings (to your taste) and then lightly crust both sides of the fish before pan frying in butter.

4. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

I go with either a lemon pepper or some cajun spice on both sides and cook in a little bit of olive oil. Pretty simple.

5. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

people always like tilapia, because it does not taste like fish.

i always wonder why they do not eat a ribeye instead, since it too does not taste like fish.

6. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

I rubbed a bit of olive oil on the filets, sprinkled some cajun salt seasoning that was laying around in the cupboard and squeezed a lime over them when I put them on the grill.

Cut one up and put it on a salad of baby spinach, 1/2 an avocado, 1/2 a tomato and a couple of slices of fresh mozzarella w/ some balsamic vinagrette. It was delicious.

7. ERhine

ERhine 250+ Posts

8. Arnold Layne

Arnold Layne 25+ Posts

Blacken it.

9. iamtigerwoods

iamtigerwoods 500+ Posts

just an fyi..

farm-raised tilapia from Thailand are bred such that they can live off of animal and human feces...

so, you might want to throw something a little spicy on top.

10. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

Thanks for that one! [​IMG]

My fish did not taste like poo, so I'm going to file that in the same place I file what I know about hot dogs.

11. Ankf00

Ankf00 250+ Posts