Ten Most Overrated Artists in Art History

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by YoLaDu, Feb 11, 2011.

1. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

you rarely see some of these revered painters get the treatment. Some serious art smack.

The Link

My favorite critique, Marc CHAGALL:

2. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

He's spot on about Modigliani... I always thought his crap looked like 6th grade self portraits with no concept of proportion.

3. buckhorn

buckhorn 1,000+ Posts

Critic's have got to eat, too, I guess.

Nothing of value there at all.

I think Modigliani is great.

W'evs.

4. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

Warhol hands down

5. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

I don't see how Jackson Pollock isn't on there. And Andres Serrano. Hey, why don't you take a picture of what I make when I orgasm, mix it with some blood, and bam, you've got art.

6. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I've seen better critical writing on the walls of Scholtz's Biergarten. What an idiot.
    Da Vinci, Renoir, Chagall, Dali...all most overrated of all time?
    Get a new job to which you are suited, maybe teaching finger painting to kindergarteners. And stay on your meds next time.

7. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

Basquiat. Here is a sketch of his you can have for 65k
    The Link

8. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

What about Mark Rothko?

Rothko

9. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

Speaking for many an old wasted and burned out hippie, I strenuously object to the inclusion of Salvador Dali to this list. As far as I'm concerned, he is THE MAN.

10. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

don't you dare imply Rothko should be on that list. [​IMG]

Seriously though, one of my favorites.

11. buckhorn

buckhorn 1,000+ Posts

Warhol -- No one has been more important over the last 60 years, maybe longer. As great as they come.

Basquiat -- Awesome, distinct, full of life's force -- a favorite of mine, admittedly.

Rothko -- His color fields are ******* great.

Pollack -- I get being non-plussed by his drippings, but he was immensely important, which is to say, innovative. I even like some of his stuff.

Trying to pick fights with all-time giants. Gnat work (I can see quibbling over Damien Hirst or, say, Matthew Barney -- the jury's still out).

12. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

13. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

14. Longhorny630

15. buckhorn

buckhorn 1,000+ Posts

16. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

YoLaDu, I like Rothko too. I also love Magritte and a few on that list above. I was suggesting him as a name that has come up in discussions about this with friends in the past. He is one of the artists that kids would exclaim, "I could do THAT!" in the Smithsonian when I would be there. (used to live in D.C. and went quite often).

I just offered it up as somebody that many would feel could be there. Dali's other works, the ones not on calendars and posters, are stunning and actually the ones I prefer.

In no way do I agree with that guys list but that's what makes art (music, paintings, whatever) fun. It's all individual and opinions will always vary.

17. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

I know next to nothing about art. I know enough to know that I like going to the Art Institute when I am back in Chicago and enjoy looking at paintings. I get some stuff and don't get others. I will say that some paintings/painters look so easy and yet the complexity and beauty is still astounding.
    That being said as a preface to the fact that I LOVE Pollock. I really don't see that what he does is hard. Really does seem like splashings of paint, but try to recreate it. You think you can, but you can't.

18. Gasman

Gasman 25+ Posts

Most of those guys are OK, but I think we can all agree that Bob Ross is the greatest artist of this or any generation.

19. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

When someone looks at a work of art and says to me dismissively: "i could have done that.", I always respond: "well, why didn't you?"

Then come the usual excuses.

20. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Apparently some of you did not include a couple of art history classes in your degree program. I recommend it highly.

21. Longhorny630

22. atxbomber

atxbomber 1,000+ Posts

i find engineers would be a lot more tolerable if they all just got laid every once in awhile.

23. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Or got jobs at job fairs. Something, yeesh. Captain Sunshine, I really hope you get your **** together and hope you are not 1/10 as unhappy as you seem.

24. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

25. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Do they rival the ice event in Austin thread?

26. Longhorny630

27. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

28. Longhorny630

no, but you will have the opportunity to watch me on national tv in about 3 weeks

29. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

30. Namewithheld

Namewithheld 2,500+ Posts

One of my favorites:

[​IMG]