Tenn upsets S. Carolina

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jan 30, 2017.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

76-74 with two FTs with 5.9 seconds left on a questionable call against SC.
    Still, it's a Lady Vol win over the #4 team.

2. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Yea that was a very questionable call. Road win for the Lady Vols

3. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

A lot of ifs in this game for SC - the technical Aja Wilson earned really changed the way the second half was played. Getting her 3rd foul with 6 minutes to go in the third quarter and then reacting in a way to get the technical (4th foul) really limited what SC was able to do.

• Like Like x 1
  4. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I thought that call was questionable too, but the Tech was deserved. She should have kept her composure instead of being so demonstrative and giving the ref no choice.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Happy for Tenn.
    Hookem'

6. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

A call at the very end like that to decide a game is never good but honestly just a few plays earlier a call went SC's way that gave them an extra basket so in the end it all evens out.

Beating Stan, ND and SC should put Tenn back in the top 25 which would be nice.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  7. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Tennessee is a hard team to grasp. After beating Stanford, they won 4 in a row, then lost to Mississippi State (understandable), but then lost to Ole Miss. They beat Notre Dame after that, then lost to AUBURN by 18!! It will be interesting to see how they play LSU this Thursday. They seem to play at the level of their opponent.

8. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Not sure, but I don't think this does anything for us RPI or resume wise since we beat Tenn but lost to USC. Can anyone confirm?

9. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I don't know if helps us or not. They will for sure be rated now, but I don't believe they were rated when we beat them, so does their new rating to be not count for us? (I don't understand what RPI is.)

10. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

RPI is just math based on your wins and losses, your opponents wins and losses and your opponent's opponents wins and losses. So where Tennessee is ranked at any point in the season is a non-factor in RPI calculations. Since SC and Tennessee are both in our opponent calculations, the upset is a wash.

11. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

You might be right but I think it also takes into account the strength of the teams you played win or lose so Tenn winning is a big upswing for them, but I doubt that it is much of a downgrade for SC. Not sure myself actually...

Regardless, I am happy to see Tenn rise. It was sad to not see them in the rankings.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  12. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

You are right it takes into account the strength of teams, that strength is calculated based on wins and losses. You seem to be implying there is some subjective part to RPI like the polls, there is not it's just a mathematical calculation.