Tennis season thus far

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by 10SNE1?, Mar 12, 2013.

1. 10SNE1?

10SNE1? 500+ Posts

Does anybody want to comment on how both teams are playing currently. I had my expectations set too high this season for both teams.

I believe the women are definitely under performing.

2. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

If you had your expectations set too high, then are the women under performing relative to their capabilities, or your expectations? There's a difference, and if it's the latter, then they are perhaps not under-performing.

3. 10SNE1?

10SNE1? 500+ Posts

I expected the women to be better than a 3-7 record at this point and losing to Rice, that shocked me.

4. woowoo worster

woowoo worster 25+ Posts

Fair to have had high expectations for the Women, with the great addition in Breaunna Addison they should have improved over last year. Thus far, they have had an extremely disappointing season, not even managing to be competitive in some matches (0-7 loss to #20 Stanford!?)

The men on the other hand have outperformed my expectations (FSU notwithstanding). Though he is playing low in the lineup, Nick Naumann has been a force, and Glasspool has impressed at both the #2 and #3 spots. Whitehead and Sitaram need more consistency - though Sitaram looks to be confortable now at the #4 spot. Not having a standout #1 player hurts this team, as having Soren at #2 or #3 would turn this into a different team altogether (as obvious as that sounds). The real difference between this team and the best Longhorn team's of the past 10 years is the lack of an elite #1, and the poor quality of doubles play. Doubles had been a strength of the program -- not so over the past 2 seasons.

More simply, the following lineup would be in the hunt for a 2013 National Championship:

#1 - elite player A (not currently on roster)
    #2 - elite player B (not currently on roster)
    #3 - Soren Hess-Oleson
    #4 - Lloyd Glasspool
    #5 - Danny Whitehead
    #6 - Sitaram or Naumann

Anything better than a 1-6 outcome in this week's matchup vs UVA would be excellent for this team.

The addition of Berkowitz and Goldhoff will more than offset the loss of Whitehead in next year's lineup - though I don't expect either to displace Soren at the top (would be pleased to be wrong about that). I would expect that team to be 6 or 8 spots higher in the rankings than this one, though still one elite player short of being top 5.

5. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

Dang - Caleb may have cost us an NC in Men's Tennis this year.

6. woowoo worster

woowoo worster 25+ Posts

7. TX10sfan

TX10sfan 100+ Posts

I'd like to think I'm pretty up to date with men's tennis so forgive my ignorance, who is Caleb?

8. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

9. TX10sfan

TX10sfan 100+ Posts

Aha.

I didn't know Swaysland was playing very much.

10. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Nice. Caleb Jones hurts 2 UT sports with one punch - maybe one a contender for a NC by his thoughtless assault of a stranger.

11. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

Plus WorsterMan he also bothered one of our key volleyball players from our NC volleyball team. This team has a good chance to repeat next year and these king of things don't help even though it would been helped if they weren't where they were at that time in the morning.

12. woowoo worster

woowoo worster 25+ Posts

1. I'm sorry that Joey is hurt. But his being hurt will not affect in any way the W-L record for men's tennis.

2. Men's tennis is not now, nor were they before the incident, in any position to compete for an NC this season.

Sorry I mentioned an NC in earlier post. The point I was so poorly making, was that we are two VERY GOOD players away from competing for one.

13. TX10sfan

TX10sfan 100+ Posts

So the men go to Collie Station to play A&M-Corpus Christi in round 1 then face the winner of Marist/A&M in round 2.

I'm still trying to figure out how they are ranked higher than Texas with that stellar 17-12 record...

14. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

15. TX10sfan

TX10sfan 100+ Posts

Men beat A&M-Corpus in first round 4-0, lose to A&M in the second round 4-3.

16. 10SNE1?

10SNE1? 500+ Posts

Down go the women as well.

I believe Texas was up in lines #3 and #4 by a score of 4-1 and couldn't hold serve to win the match.

17. woowoo worster

woowoo worster 25+ Posts

Both UT men and women are having the best individual NCAA championship tournament that I can recall. Hess-Olsen is all the way through to the Quarters, as is Addison on the women's side. Holiner/Camillione are playing the best doubles of their careers and are through to the Quarters as well. That's 4 All-Americans for Texas there!

18. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

19. TX10sfan

TX10sfan 100+ Posts

Allison ends up making the national semis, Hess-Olesen gets to quarters, and Camillone-Holiner are national doubles runnersup. Not bad at all.

20. 10SNE1?

10SNE1? 500+ Posts

I'm sure the women's team does have new recruits for next season but who are they. Tennisrecruiting.net has Texas as having 0 commits for next season.

21. 10SNE1?

10SNE1? 500+ Posts

Noel Scott transfers to LSU!
    The Link

22. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

Andrew Korinek also transfers to LSU.

Link

23. 10SNE1?

10SNE1? 500+ Posts

Michael Riechmann transfers to Texas.

He was a 5 star recruit.
    The Link

24. woowoo worster

woowoo worster 25+ Posts

Texas men were positioned to have one of the best lineups in recent memory:
    Hess-Olesson, Glasspool, Berkowictz, Nuaman, Goldhoff, Sitaram, and Holiner (that is not necessarily the starting order...)

Did I hear correctly that Berkowictz (National Junior College champion) has injured his knee? Anyone else know anything?

25. tennisman

tennisman < 25 Posts

Adrien had minor knee surgery in june. He is running and will be fine for the season. Clement Homs will also challenge for the top spot.

26. tennisman

tennisman < 25 Posts

Berkowicz had knee surgery but it was minor and is back hitting. Don't forget about Clement Homs. On paper he could be the best player on the team. Time will tell.

27. woowoo worster

woowoo worster 25+ Posts

Excellent news about Berk. being back hitting already.
    If Homs can compete with H-O,Berk, and Glasspool -- then this will be a fun year for the horns.

28. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

29. 10SNE1?

10SNE1? 500+ Posts

Not sure if this was already mentioned or not but Joey Swaysland transfers to Oregon.
    The Link

30. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

I noticed Swaysland wasn't listed on the Texas roster anymore. I didn't know he transferred to Oregon. I thought maybe he had just gone home to Australia.