Tennis

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by 10SNE1?, May 14, 2011.

1. 10SNE1?

10SNE1? 500+ Posts

Now that the season is officially over with for both the women and men, what does the future hold for both teams? I dont see any blue chip recruits coming in next year.

2. KEYSERSOZE

KEYSERSOZE 100+ Posts

I have not been impressed with the women's coach's ability to recruit top level players. She is being out recruited by Baylor every year. The men's coach has done a pretty good job after a slow start to his career at Texas. I think it is time for a change for the women's tennis team.

3. woowoo worster

woowoo worster 25+ Posts

men's tennis could really struggle next year,for the first time in 6 or 7 years, as there is no elite player in the mix at all. Corrie and Damico were solid, though Corrie did not have the year he is capable of - and we lose both. Unless Sock out of Kansas(?) decides to come here, this team will not likely be top 15, and risks being 3,4, or 5 in conference. Center is a good coach, and may close some international players though, so stay tuned... It is always a possiblity that the current scholarship players will have a "breakthrough" and advance to the elite level -- they certainly have the pedigrees, but have been injured or just haven't shown themselves as yet.

4. 10SNE1?

10SNE1? 500+ Posts

2012 is looking good for the Men's recruiting efforts.

The following Blue Chip recruits, who are from Texas, have verbaled to Texas:

#12 Andrew Korinek
    #18 Nicholas Naumann

Anybody know what schools #3 Shane Vinsant and #4 Mitchell Krueger (both from Texas) are looking at?

5. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

6. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

Another tennis commitment for Class of 2011 (Spring 2012):

Joey Swaysland from Australia.

7. 10SNE1?

10SNE1? 500+ Posts

Is Jean Andersen not coming back?
    The Link

8. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

I guess not. That's the first I've heard about it.

9. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

We have a new women's player from the Class of 2011

Noel Scott from Los Angeles

10. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

11. 10SNE1?

10SNE1? 500+ Posts

Only 8 on the Men's roster?? [​IMG]

12. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

It looks like Mladenov and Anderson are both gone. That's a real surprise since they were two of the top returnees, and some thought the upcoming season was going to be a little tougher even with them in the lineup. It also hurts that the nation's top recruit, Jack Sock - a likely Horn signee - has apparently decided to turn pro and forego college altogether. Oh well, it might be a down year, but that happens to all programs, and perhaps the eight we have on board will put together a good season. We still have a great coach and talented players so anything is possible.

13. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

14. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

15. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

It is alarming the the Men's team have been losing good players to other schools and this has happened in the past. Regarding the Lone Star Showdown I thought that men's tennis would have an even chance against the Aggies but now the Aggies have to be favored. I am concerned that the Aggies may get both tennis points since our women have to play at CS this year.

16. overseasbbfan1

We've had some transfers during the past seven or eight years (Ruiz, Hegelsen, Venus), but honestly that's not uncommon. Transfers happen at all schools and it works both ways; I can think of at least four transfers coming into the program the past 3-4 years.

As far as this year's squad is concerned it was going to be a bit of a transition anyway because we were losing both #1 and #2 singles players. Anderson turning pro probably wasn't expected but it happens, and as a result the team lost their top three players all at once. Losing Mladenov, who moved around but player primarily at #5, on top of the others definitely hurts, but it's too soon to say how this season is going to turn out. We return four (Holiner, Whitehead, Chen and Sitaram) who were all regulars at the #'s 4-6 positions, and add some talented newcomers. In addition to Hess-Olesen and Lewis, we're also adding a top junior out of Australia (Swaysland) in the Spring. That will put the roster at nine and so we should be able to field a solid rotation of six.

I think the program is in a great position overall. We've made three final fours including a championship match within the past five years, and continue to attract some of the nation's top recruits. In fact we would have likely signed the #1 recruit for 2011 (Sock) if he hadn't turned pro. So this may be a re-building year but we've got some strong athletes and a great staff and hopefully they'll put together a successful season.

17. KEYSERSOZE

KEYSERSOZE 100+ Posts

From TexasSports.com

AUSTIN, Texas – University of Texas head men’s tennis coach Michael Center announced Friday the signings of Lloyd Glasspool (England), Andrew Korinek (Mansfield, Texas) and Nick Naumann (The Woodlands, Texas) with the Texas Men’s Tennis program. Glasspool has signed an athletic scholarship agreement (ASA), will join the Longhorns in January and will be eligible to compete next semester. Korinek and Naumann have signed National Letters of Intent (NLI) and will enroll at Texas in August of 2012.

Glasspool has ranked as high No. 1,443 in the ATP world singles rankings. Glasspool reached the singles semifinals and the doubles finals at the 2010 AEGON Nottingham Junior ITF event and recently defeated the singles runner-up at the 2011 Junior Championships, Wimbledon. Last week, Glasspool posted a singles win over Frank Moser, who has ranked as high as No. 288 in the world in singles and currently ranks 71st in the world in doubles. Glasspool will join Australian Joey Swaysland, who signed an athletic scholarship agreement last summer, as Longhorns newcomers in January.

18. TX10sfan

TX10sfan 100+ Posts

Guys seem to be doing well this season considering the youth on the team. Losses to UVA, Ohio State, aggy at the final Texas Cup, and a weird one to San Diego will only make this a better bunch at the end of the season. That being said, they do host 3x NCAA Champion USC tonight.

19. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

The Link
    The USC match is actually tomorrow.

20. woowoo worster

woowoo worster 25+ Posts

What has happened to the Men's Tennis team?
    Anybody with any insight, here? Not only can Center not find the right doubles combinations after ¾ of the season, but singles is falling apart as well…

21. longhorns06

longhorns06 100+ Posts

Men's team is really banged up this yr. They don't have a healthy roster and even the ones who are playing aren't 100%. This is def a rebuild yr despite their injury.
    Next yr will be a really good team, well at least the start of Spring i believe with a 3rd addition.

22. overseasbbfan1

Yeah, if you look at the lineup, it seems as if we could be really strong next year. Some freshmen are doing very well, and there's not one senior on the roster. And if we add any top recruits, all the better.

23. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

24. longhorns06

longhorns06 100+ Posts

I can confirm this kid committed this past week. He is a very excellent player who most expect to get better too. Definitely top catch for the class.

25. 10SNE1?

10SNE1? 500+ Posts

Got a name of the recent commit, longhorns06?
    Thx.

26. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

27. longhorns06

longhorns06 100+ Posts

Yup Adams. We'll see which class he enrolls in. They'll be looking at some more recruits for 2013

28. 10SNE1?

10SNE1? 500+ Posts

Awesome about Harrison Adams! He's currently ranked #3 in the nation in his class.

On other news, incoming Freshmen, Nicholas Naumann, won his 1st match in the qualifying rounds in the US Men's Clay Court Championships in Houston today.

29. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

30. Branyon

Branyon 500+ Posts

Nice to see the women defeat Eastern European University of Waco today.