Tesla

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by Dionysus, Jan 22, 2020.

1. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

To put that 300 miles of range in context...one could no longer drive to Austin and back to Houston, or probably to/from Dallas/Austin, without having to stop...at least not without choosing to "risk it or brick it."

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

What is the cost of a normal recharge?

So the libs want to go to electricity which may or may not cause a new demand resulting in cranking up the coal generated plants and nuclear plants.

God, please help my grandkids to forgive me for the mess I am leaving them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

What happens when you "brick it"?

Does running the battery completely down ruin it?

4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Taxpayers pay for the charging stations. It’s in the’bill’.

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

It's a battery, you recharge it

6. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Yeah but running a battery completely down will hasten it’s demise.

7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

nash
    Thanks. That is what I thought.
    Only a Dem would think it is ok to use our money to build charging stations.
    Dems hate the free market.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Owners have been warned that a complete discharge requires a new battery pack. Whether that is wholly accurate or not, I have no idea and I also have no desire to go find out.

9. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

That was a huge issue with old Ni-Cd batteries, but from what I've read, hardly an issue with Li car batteries, nearly impossible to completely deplete them.

That said, buying AA and AAA rechargeable Li batteries was a complete waste of $. They worked through 1 recharge and then were worthless.

10. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

But there ARE problems with them, highlighted by, among others, Tyler Hoover (Hoovies Garage) where his Tesla would only charge to 50 miles of range after sections of the pack went bad.

His situation highlighted that SOME garages are capable of doing repairs but it was still something like $5K versus the $22K for the full pack replacement. Either way, there are a lot of people who won't be prepared for that sort of a repair nut after they abuse the system or, alternately, just dared to keep a car for more than a few years.

11. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

^ and to those who CHOSE to buy I say caveat emptor
    but like you I don't want the gov't forcing me to buy
    and especially do not want to pay for charging stations for others.

12. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Hence my comment that I'm not sure why someone who would want to do that would buy a Tesla anyhow. It would be damn near impossible. Then again, driving to Vegas and back probably isn't the most efficient use of an ICE either. We can wax poetic about the open road and freedom and even how wonderful fossil fuels are, but actively marketing something that needs regular maintenance as an open ticket to "go drive 800 miles because you can" isn't especially practical. It helps sell vehicles for sure in the US. Europe and Asia? Not so much.

Driving around the nation was never the "vision" of the EV market, but with the strides in it that have been made over the past 20 years, it's not hard to fathom that more progress will be made in coming decades.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Agree Horn11
    Let the free market decide it, right?

14. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I think if you eliminate all government subsidies in either political direction, EVs will still have the gradual takeover. It might take longer, but they'd still get there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Nothing wrong with it taking longer.

16. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

As it turned out, driving was probably faster than flying given the nonsense that went on in the airports that week...and I know I would have things coming home that wouldn't go carry-on and I HATE checking luggage.

Flying to and from Vegas became a whole lot less convenient when the red-eye disappeared from the schedules in the past year and a half. Part of my regular routine was flying out on a Friday and then doing the 1AM that put me back in Houston around 530A. When the last flights out of LAS were changing to late afternoon, it meant the entire calculus of the trip changed...

17. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I'm definitely a pro-road-trip kind of guy too, mostly for the convenience of having a vehicle so I don't need to rent wherever I go. It's also why I want EV's to improve... not just range but efficiency. And charging speed. And all of those aforementioned reasons on this thread.

If this lug eventually gets a bit more range and a better pricetag, I'd think about the waitlist:
    2022 Ford® F-150 Lightning Electric Truck |All Electric and All F-150

18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

So Ford is going to give me my choice in an F150 4x4

1) Electric and sit in Bucee's in Ennis while it recharges on my way to Dallas

2) Love the new 4 cyl engine Ford is pushing.

Current King Ranch F150 4x4 has to last to carry me to the cemetery, cause I ain't buyin that ****

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

One thing I can say for the Tesla, IIRC he took no federal subsidies.
    Pelosi is trying to shove billions through that would include $12,500 in rebate to people who buy EVOs and billions to build charging stations.
    That is BS.
    One thing missing is any money to study WTF is going to happen with spent batteries.

Edit. I was wrong. The Govt does give tax credits to buyers if EVOs

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  20. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

J.B. Straubel, former Tesla CTO, started Redwood Materials to work on battery recycling. I expect this will be a rapidly growing industry in the coming decade as EV adoption spreads.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Ah
    Thanks Dion
    Free Enterprise at work:trophy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

P.S. The VP Business Development at Redwood is named Odd-Even.

odd-even.png

• Like Like x 1
  23. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I was wrong. There is now a 7,000 tax credit given to people who buy EVOs including Tesla. It covers up to 200k cars from each company

24. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I think that one is from years ago, no? There was talk of a new EV tax credit but I don’t know if that’s going to happen, or when if it does.

25. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Just saw this link to the Build Back Better Framework on the WH website.

Excerpt:

Specifically, the Build Back Better framework will:
    • Deliver substantial consumer rebates and ensure middle class families save money as they shift to clean energy and electrification. The consumer rebates and credits included in the Build Back Better framework will save the average American family hundreds of dollars per year in energy costs. These measures include enhancement and expansion of existing home energy and efficiency tax credits, as well as the creation of a new, electrification-focused rebate program. The framework will cut the cost of installing rooftop solar for a home by around 30 percent, shortening the payback period by around 5 years; and the framework’s electric vehicle tax credit will lower the cost of an electric vehicle that is made in America with American materials and union labor by $12,500 for a middle-class family. In addition, the framework will help rural communities tap into the clean energy opportunity through targeted grants and loans through the Department of Agriculture.
    I saw discussion elsewhere that it will be $7500 for an EV, another $2500 for American-made, and $2500 if built with union labor. Tesla doesn’t qualify on the union labor bit so maybe it is a $10,000 credit for those?

26. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

27. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Plus the Govt will increase the costs to own AND to operate an ICE thereby increasing the potential savings claims. It’s a racket.

28. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Tesla is no different than any other major company but the narrative that they haven't been the beneficiary of some significant tax subsidies doesn't match the facts. Here's an LA Times story that reports that Elon Musk's 3 companies have been the beneficiary of $4.9B in government handouts.

Tesla is a very well run company with a tremendous product. The fact that they've gotten as far as they have with the infrastructure of a gas station on every corner is a testament to their marketing and a lot of help from local governments.

29. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

From the article...
    So it is not as though Musk and his companies are the sole benefactors, especially since the tax credit to buyers is also incorporated in that inflated estimate.

It is ironic that we don't hear AOC bleating about the property tax credits in New York which are worth about $260B across a decade but she didn't want Amazon coming in for what amounts to the same cost. I guess her pet causes are worth more to her than employment in decent paying jobs for the voters...

30. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Well, they (including state/local govts) could increase the cost to own and operate by getting rid of the $billions of breaks the manufacturers have been giftwrapped for about 50 years now. Yes, the costs will be passed on to consumers.

We could also double the federal gas tax and our rate would still be lower than every other country in the OECD except Canada. The HTF would also double with it. With that extra $40000000000 from the first year alone, they could start retrofitting existing roads with sensors that would work hand in hand with the sensors on EVs to make everything safer, cleaner, etc.