Texans - Go Get Vince

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Longhorn91, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Longhorn91

Longhorn91 25+ Posts

Seriously. Sign VY to a free agent deal and let him battle Schaub during mini-camps and pre-season. The league is evolving towards VY's style of play, so what does Houston have to lose by taking a chance? You know the guy will work his butt off for his hometown team.

2. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

If the league were evolving towards VY's style of play, he would still be playing.

Besides, the Texans don't need a thirty year old project at QB.

3. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

VY in 2013 does NOT run anywhere near the way VY in 2005/6 could run. Sadly, he's not what he once was.

4. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

Vince never had the uncanny passing accuracy of this new generation of mobile QB's. I love the guy and what he did for us, but it would appear the game has passed him by.

5. Zona Horn

Zona Horn 500+ Posts

VY is currently -- i.e. 2013, not 2005 -- old, overweight, out of shape, slow, and has lost his instinct on when to run and how to pick up third downs with his feet. He has not been the way he was in several years. And he has a bad reputation for work ethic and practice habits.

I agree the Texans would benefit from a more mobile QB. Lord knows Schaub is slow, and, unlike Brady and Peyton (also slow), he doesn't have the arm, system or the pocket presence to win games in the playoffs from a stationary position.

That said, VY is not the answer. Colt would actually be a better fit. He has an arm that is comparable, is just as accurate, and is younger and more mobile than Schaub. Never happen though.

Uncortunately, I think the texans will miss their window due to injuries (Cushing) and having a good but not great QB. Schaub can get you to the playoffs, but he can't score 40+ frequently enough to be a good bet to win it all, and a lot of that has to do with his athletic limitations.

6. Longbomb

Longbomb 500+ Posts

Last season he started for an average team and beat the eventual Super Bowl champs. You can't do that without a certain level of ability.

7. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

Does anyone here really think that the Texans aggy coach would ever have a Longhorn QB, no matter how good he is. If you do, then just keep on smoking that crack. [​IMG]

8. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I agree with Sangre, if this were three or four years ago, I would say it could work. I just don't see the same explosiveness showing up in him now. The reality is that in a lot of ways Vince really was ahead of his time. But the bad part of that is that if your skill set doesn't fit when you have it ready to use, you're out of luck.

9. dthree36

dthree36 500+ Posts

Another vote for VY's Age. he doesn't seem to be as quick any longer. I would hope he would get an opportunity but.. well.. I just don't see anyone taking a chance with a player with documented poor work ethic and possible mental instability.

10. HornFanAlways

HornFanAlways 25+ Posts

Not sure Vince is the answer for the Texans but Schaub sure isn't. Don't see the Texans getting to the next level with Schaub at qb and probably not with the Aggie coach either.

11. Zona Horn

Zona Horn 500+ Posts

The fact of the matter is that, with a few exceptions (Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer), in the last 10-15 years you had to have an elite QB to win a Super Bowl. And those two exceptions had truly dominant defenses.

Is it possible that the Texans can win with Schaub? Yes, but it's a longshot, and they blew it this year by going cold down the stretch and booting away homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. The Texans would have had a fighting chance against Brady if the noise level had rattled him and screwed up his audibles, but as it was you could clearly hear everything he was doing ("Alabama! Alabama!") at the line in the friendly confines of his home field.

This year we might see a new QB make his case to join the elite ranks (e.g. Ryan or Kaepernick), but the odds are that Brady will get another one.

The Texans are good enough to win 10-14 games with Schaub during the regular season. But in the playoffs they are going to continue having trouble against the Bradys and Mannings (and, soon, the Lucks and Wilsons and RG3's and Kaepernicks, though most of those guys are thankfully in the NFC). Schaub just presents too much of a liability against tough pass rushes, and he tends to wilt in big games, or just enough to lose.

To be fair, the defense gave up 41 points, so its not all on him. The problem is, if you get in a shootout against a Brady or a Brees or a Manning or a Rogers, you have almost no chance with a guy like Schaub at the helm,

As for VY, his ship has sailed. Maybe he would have had a different career path had he broken in with a guy like Carrol that keeps things loose and is willing to take a risk on a mold-breaker(guys like Harbaugh and Belicheck would have benched or cut him in about 5 minutes with his work ethic, attitude, etc). But the opportunity was a thin one for him given his specific skill-set, the NFL's risk-averse nature, and his various defects. Regardless, he has lost a lot of what made him good (athleticism, instincts, confidence, etc), so there is no use crying over cookies crumbling into the water under the bridge.

12. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Zona, you mean dam, right? Water under the dam.