Texans know what they are doing now with the draft

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Iconoclast Texan, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Iconoclast Texan

Iconoclast Texan 250+ Posts

In Rick Smith I trust. I am loving our draft so far. I desperately wanted a 1st round LT and am very happy they got a guy they really wanted. The Alex Gibbs addition and imprint makes this pick a lot safer than what some prognosticators are spouting about. Gibbs and Ray Rhodes on defense are great additions and will make huge improvements. I am hoping that Ray Rhodes pushes aside our current DC.

Now in the third we have addressed our other CB and RB needs with excellent picks in Molden and Steve Slaton. I am VERY EXCITED about Slaton in a Texans uni. His breakaway speed is a perfect in our one cut running game.

This has been a very solid offseason for the Texans and we are priming ourselves for a legit playoff run this year.

GO TEXANS!

P.S. The Titans are morons. They draft a friggin TE in the 3rd round when they have Scaife and Crumpler already.

2. Mr. Bohunkers

Mr. Bohunkers 25+ Posts

I really like the Texans' picks so far, as well. With Gibbs' new ZBS, Brown makes a ton of sense, being so athletic and fast. I like addressing the CB and RB needs, as well. I think those were the biggest holes for the Texans, and they've been addressed nicely. I'd like to see a safety or a DE taken with the 4th round pick

3. anhyzer

anhyzer 250+ Posts

4. I can't believe the Titans didn't take Kelly or Limas Sweed. Vince needs receivers in the worst way, and I don't even KNOW who their fourth round pick is.

5. Xavier Adibi with the fourth round pick. Interesting they're going LB.

6. TexanWolv

TexanWolv 1,000+ Posts

It's a good pick...And high value.

Lost Danny Clark in free agency and need to continue to find better speed and insticts at the OLB position. We are continually too slow in pursuit to the outside angles.

7. Iconoclast Texan

f**k ESPN btw. They are running fan comments for each team and EVERY ONE of ours have been negative. Hell one was from a guy named NYGiantfan or something.

Michael Smith is the only guy I really like on ESPN. He has always been fair to us and resists the Stephen A Smith style bs that ESPN seems to like.

8. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

Molden is a good pick because a lot of scouts think his best position in the NFL will utlimately be at free safety...he can help out in sub-package situations this year at CB, and with (hopefully) Dunte back at full strength in 2009 he can slide over to FS...he's got things to work on, but if he didn't he wouldn't still be there in the 3rd round...love the Adibi pick...

9. GatorHorn

GatorHorn 250+ Posts

The Molden and Adibi picks are big time. The Brown pick is okay, about 15 spots early, but in drafting him (and moving down), you're able to pick up a Slaton in the third round to boot.

Ends up being a good move.

10. Iconoclast Texan

The second day of the draft has been awesome for us Texans fans. We have addressed needs and gotten value. Our defense is going to be salty with the additions we have made in the secondary. I love the Adibi pick as well. He will pair nicely with Meco.

I am extremely excited about getting Slaton in a Texans uni. We will have a 2-3 headed monster rb situation next year and can see Slaton ripping off some big runs as a change of pace back.

11. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I saw Slaton going there and did a fist pump. This could be exciting for y'all.

12. denilson

denilson < 25 Posts

Adibi was a terrific pick. Made plays all over the field. somewhat like Demeco Ryans.

13. And here comes one of your own. Texans take Okam in the fifth round. Me likey. Can NEVER have too many DTs.

14. newport horn

newport horn 25+ Posts

Second day has been terrific for the Texans!

15. Iconoclast Texan

When we make the playoffs this year or next, we will look back at this draft as the one that put us over the edge. The additions of Duane Brown, Alex Gibbs, and Steve Slaton makes me VERY excited about our run game and offense in general. Our passing game was already good, I can't wait to see it with a real rushing attack.

We are adding the necessary depth required of playoff caliber teams.

Kudos to Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak in building a legit NFL playoff contender in less than 3 years after taking over a team decimated by crappy personnel moves and coaching.

16. GatorHorn

GatorHorn 250+ Posts

I think the DE out of GT is still on the board. If Houston picks him up (or a similarly rated DE), then this draft will be incredible for value, depth and need.

17. orangeblood83

orangeblood83 25+ Posts

Very solid 2nd day for the Texans. All the picks have a chance to contribute next season and are good value as well.

Slaton- Wasn't a huge fan of him at WV but he's got speed and quickness which is something the Texans don't have in their backfield.

Adibi- Great value in the 4th, there should be good competition at OLB come training camp.

Okam- Glad to see another Horn on the roster, if there is any way he can 75% of the player he should be, the Texans DL w/ Mario/Okoye/Okam should be pretty good for years to come.

18. YChang

YChang 500+ Posts

If Drew goes undrafted, I hope the Texans take a good look at him.
    Man, I'm really excited to see how this team continue to progress. I hope Kasey stays healthy and contributes this season.

19. Holden

Holden 500+ Posts

A+. I love this year's draft for the TEXANS. The fact that the organizatin is dynamic and progressive makes me happy about their future. Sure they have screwed up big time, but the willingness to go in a new direction will lead this team to new heights. Great job!

20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn 1,000+ Posts

As a self described texans hater who roots for their misery I ddin't get any joy out of this draft.

I don't get what they were doing in the first round but I really think they helped themselves 2nd day. Slaton was a great pick for them. Why the Titans, for example, couldn't take a guy like that in the 3rd round and concentrate on improving their horrid WR corps I have no idea.

21. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

After letting it sink in for a day or 2, I like what the Texans did in the draft - especially if Okam elevates his game. BUT . . . my main complaint with them is the same as in the past - they need to be more aggressive with some of the non-drafted FA's. In particular, guys like:
    Darrell Robertson (DE from GaTech)
    Eric Young (OL from Tenn)
    Adarius Bowman (WR from OKSt)

22. HoosierHorn

HoosierHorn 500+ Posts

i saw Rick Smith eating breakfast at Chacho's once.

Rick Smith &#62;&#62;&#62; dog **** &#62; Charley Casserly.

23. Iconoclast Texan

Dog **** it is relatively easy to clean up. Charley Casserley's reign of error has taken more than 3 years to right.

24. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

25. GatorHorn

GatorHorn 250+ Posts

In reply to:

26. TexanWolv

TexanWolv 1,000+ Posts

As much as I hate Casserly....(I simply can't watch the NFL Network when he is on)...He DID draft the Mario, DeMeco, Owen Daniels, Spencer (hurt) and Winston class...Albeit with Kubiak now making some calls as the coach.

27. YearOfTheSteer

YearOfTheSteer 500+ Posts

28. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Charlie Casserly screwed the Redskins up majorly as well. The man is a zit that needs to be popped off the face of anything to do with the NFL.