Texas #1 for business

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by gecko, Jul 11, 2012.

1. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

Check out the video.....
    The Link

You know it has to be killing Perry to be pimping for the UT medical system.

2. BrothaHorn

BrothaHorn 1,000+ Posts

But, but..our healthcare sucks. No one wants to business here

3. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

As Governor Perry so eloquently points out. Texas doesn't have a problem with access to health care. While we wimpy liberals worry about the number of Texans who don't have health insurance, Perry celebrates that we just have a lot of folks who voluntarily choose not to be part of an insurance program.

As I heard Perry talk, so proud of Texans enjoying their freedom not to be insured, I relived the final moments of Bravehart, except instead of enduring a torturer William Wallace wastes away from cancer ... his last words "Freedom FREEDOM!"

4. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

I'll take freedom over health care insurance, but that's just me.

5. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

Same here Gecko. I'm not really in the market for a cradle-to-grave babysitter.

6. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

Crockett, we don't have a health care problem. We have an illegal problemo.

7. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Kramer from Downtown for 3!!!!!!

8. majorwhiteapples

Get rid of the illegals, graduation rates rise, crime drops and uninsured motorists go away as well as the uninsured health care emergency room visits.

Solve one problem and you alleviate a half dozen others, not a tough concept.

9. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

and lawnmower sales skyrocket.

10. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Where is California ranked?

11. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, now that I equate going nekkid on health insurace with the core joy of personal liberty this is kinda fun. How about channeling some Patrick Henry to fight Obamacare. "Is grandma's new hip so dear, or emergency gall bladder surgery so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death! "

12. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

That is absolutely purely stupid.
    Grandma has medicare
    can anyone name even 10 people who have been denied health care is Texas?

if it is a problem prove it and it will be solved. Everyone should be able to get healthcare.

but to say it with no proof is sily

13. djimaplon

djimaplon 250+ Posts

Someone needs to visit the emergency room at Parkland in Dallas.

14. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

15. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

As thoughtful analysis on health policies I'll admit to you Horn6721 that my posts on this thread are pure whimsey. Please realize I was simply having fun with Perry's concept that the uninsured in Texas, probably 95 percent of whom are two paychecks away from homelessness -- are cheerfully exercising choice. I was just ejoying the idea of taking Perry's novel insights a step further. We don't have to be serious here all the time do we?

16. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

The Lone Star State makes a triumphant return as America’s Top State for Business—its third time at the top of our rankings. California was #40.

17. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

I know Rick Perry's friends agree

18. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

19. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

20. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

So militaryhorn doesn't like business, I guess. Quite a generalized rant there. You must realize that execs and a good number of employees for large companies are shareholders themselves, right?

21. militaryhorn

22. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

I think MilHorn is addressing the "one for you, two for me, one for you, three for me" type of payout plan many execs are so fond of.

I'm all for rewarding genuine risk taking and innovation but when execs get million dollar payouts because they've been able to squeeze the salaries of Avg Joe an extra 2% this year, I take issue with that scheme.

Or when they bemoan that we don't have enough skilled workers, or enough labor workers....blah, blah, blah.

Really, what they mean is "I want to still make $20 mil next year and the only way I can do that is if I pay you $7.50 hr instead of $9 hr."

so please mr. politician, keep the immigrants coming. legal/illegal it doesn't matter, just keep expanding the labor pool to depress wages and provide me with more consumers. You can rant all you want mr. politician just don't actually do anything effective like work place enforcement or scaling back of visas.

23. militaryhorn

24. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

25. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

Militaryhorn, I'm really surprised by the comments about your uncle. My guess is that your uncle brings a great deal of revenue into his company that helps the company employ more people accordingly. My expectation is that the company pays him bonuses to help to ensure that he continues to do that for Seagate and not for someone else. Thus, more people are employed by Seagate. Just a guess but that is how it works in my business. "Worker bees" are absolutely essential and important to the success of a business but it is people that generate the revenue that make a company's economic engine run in the first place. What I like to do is to keep an eye out for the "worker bees" who work hard and learn quickly who can move up into more lucrative positions that help the company grow.

26. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

It is militaryhorn's kind of thinking that has killed silicon valley and innovation. In the interest of fairness, the government decided to make all companies account for stock options at their fair market value. Government was hoping to spread the wealth from CEOs to the general population.

Well, CEOs were still given their stock options because there is a scarcity of qualified individuals. Lower level employees and mid-level managers were the ones who were screwed. Now it is increasingly difficult for a young, bright, energetic individual to strike it big at the next Apple and it is too hard for a start-up to retain such individuals when the individuals can make more money, receive better benefits, and have more stability at an established company.

Fewer new jobs have been created as a result. And instead of spreading wealth, there is less wealth overall. What is interesting to me is that people then want to attack the wealthy even more because of the even greater disparity between the rich and everyone else. I wish people would realize this policy fails and the better decision would be to institute policies that reward individual and corporate success. Screw being jealous of the ivy league educated and old money CEOs and playboys. Allow people the opportunity to create something for themselves.

27. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

28. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

29. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

30. majorwhiteapples

These people negotiate these bonuses are part of getting hired. That is part of their compensation package that if the company does X and or Y they get this bonus.

f**k you people that have never worked on commission or in a bonus structure. It is stick and carrot, the backbone of every successful society. Then again you liberal fucks just want **** handed to you! This is the biggest crock of **** I have ever read!!!