Texas A&M CC vs. Texas

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by NBHorn7, Apr 5, 2016.

1. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

I'm sorry but ...Augie's philosophical stuff doesn't work with these kids these days.

2. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

KSU beat Nebraska 4-2 tonight, so there is that. Not looking too good for this weekend.

3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Has to be said, put a fork in us.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

5. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

We are playing really bad baseball right now. I'm afraid it is going to continue for the entire season. Nobody on the roster is hitting, and most don't catch a pop fly when it matters.

6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

How do you recruit players with ball-hitting skills?

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

:whiteflag:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

NB, assuming that Augie hangs it up, or has it hung up for him, after this season, who should we be looking at to replace him?

9. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

I think Schlossnagle would be an early favorite.

10. Phil Elliott

Gene Stephenson is available and, at 70 YOA, is younger than Augie.

11. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

Who in his last start gave up 4 runs in 1/3 of an inning. But he didn't look rattled at all facing Texas and, really, why should he? Our hitters don't instill any fear in any one and shouldn't. They are terrible in every way you can be terrible.

How this team managed to take 2 of 3 from TCU is beyond my capacity to comprehend.

12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

ByBirth,

Ease up, take a deep breath, and imagine how bad it would have been if we had played Houston-Victoria, the team that riddled the kid for 4 runs in 2/3 of the first inning. Victoria might still be batting. :deadhorse:

• Like Like x 1
  13. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

We won two games from TCU because we shut them out in one game and held them to three runs in the other. TCU helped with some key errors.

I know people may not believe this, but Texas just can't pick up the phone and get anybody they want anymore, without a battle. It may be a little harder than people think. Top coaches at top schools are harder to get now. Some really like where they are and don't want to leave and maybe have to do a rebuild, under circumstances and recruiting areas, they are not familiar with.

Some of these schools have money too. At the time of the last change at Texas, college baseball wasn't a money maker, as it is now, didn't have television contracts and conference networks.

Back in 1996 we just picked up the phone and went down the list. Dodds first phone call went to LSU and coach Skip Burtman, who turned down the Texas job. LSU was dominating college baseball then and he stayed, they even offered to give him the AD job, if he would stay. He did and then he got that AD position, when he quit coaching, that was big stuff for a baseball coach, at a major college.

Then the call went to Augie and why wouldn't he leave Fullerton, to come to Texas, he had left them to go to Illinois, then went back to Fullerton. Illinois is never going to be a big baseball power and it didn't work out. You only leave a successful Fullerton program, that you built from scratch, for an Illinois because of money. Fullerton isn't a money bags school.

The names being thrown around are these, because of their success of late. They are Tim Corbin of Vanderbilt and Brian O'Connor at Virginia. They both have established good programs and won national championships recently.

These schools aren't poor in resources, as in money.

Some think that they have had help in building those programs, that others don't have, discussed here. It's a good situation they have going.

Fitt: Don't Expect Institutional Aid Reform | D1Baseball.com

Jim Schlossnagle is kind of an interesting as a possibility. He is well established at TCU, but he hasn't won a national championship. Does this matter to Bellmont or not, who knows.

He does know the recruiting scene in Texas. This is always going to be the vast majority of players, for a TCU or a Texas, with not that many out of state guys.

He may be quite happy with what he has built at TCU and they would probably come up with a pretty good package to get him to stay. Would he want to coach against his former team, in the same conference? These are things to be considered.

Skip Johnson does have some support at Bellmont I understand. He has kept the ship afloat with his pitching staff and coaching, under some difficult circumstances. Some people in power have seen this.

He was a very successful coach at Navarro, from 1994-2006. That's a good program, for people that don't know. Think about Wayne Graham, at San Jacinto, and then to Rice.

He would continue to get top pitching talent and hire some top notch assistants , who have been needed badly for years now, at Texas. He knows the Texas recruiting scene as good or better than anybody, so would his assistants. Coaching baseball in the state of Texas has been his life. Texas needs some big time recruits that can hit and play their positions, we haven't had many of those kind of players, in the last five years.

It took four seasons once Aguie arrvived, for the program to get back up to speed again. Put in a new system and learn recruiting in Texas. That's why I would prefer a coach who knows the Texas recruiting scene and the Texas baseball program.

I would prefer Schlossnagle or Skip for the reasons stated above.
    Another candidate mentioned is Dan O'Connell, at Louisville, we could become UL-West. He has built a good program there. There are a few other college names, but these are the favorites.

A couple of non college coaches mentioned are former Texas players, Spike Owen and Ron Gardenhire. Spike has been coaching in the minor leagues and of course "Gardy," had a long head coaching stint, with the Minnesota Twins. Ron has been out of coaching for a couple of years now. Don't know about his interest in the Texas job, but I would think Spike would be very interested.

Who knows what the thinking at Bellmont is right now? They are way more worried about the struggles in football and building a new basketball arena. Baseball may not be a high priority right now. They may put things off till those matters are more settled, as in wait another year, unless the bottom falls completely out, the rest of the season.

There will as always, be the standard, we will evaluate things at the year response.

• Like Like x 1
  14. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Right now TCU is losing to UTA 4-0.....So there is that.

15. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

UTA is so much better than A&M CC, the final score was 4-3, TCU had the tying run on, in the ninth.

TCU is now 22-6 on the season, they will be in the race for winning the Big 12 all year and then they will host a regional again.

Texas Tech beat Florida State 8-4, on the road, to split a two game series, their series this weekend with OSU, in Stillwater, will tell much about the conference race.

16. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Hernandez is a freshman coming off a superb high school career at a high school that plays real good baseball and he got rattled against UH-V. He didn't against UT, which is CC A&M's big game every year.

And Texas can't hit.

17. Phil Elliott

If you can just recruit the Houston area well, you can be a successful college baseball coach, IMO. HS baseball is *huge* in Houston.

18. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

We're 5 games below .500 with 23 games left. Here's a postseason reality check...

Aside from Ole Miss (30-26) and Clemson (32-27), the 3rd worst at-large record was Tulane (34-23). All but 2 at-large teams finished with 11+ more wins than losses.

To even match Ole Miss' worst at-large record from last year, Texas would need to finish the reg season 28-24. Which means going 16-7 the rest of the way.

It's safe to say this season is all but lost already. I can't see this bumbling team squeezing 16 wins from the final 23 to receive an at-large...or winning the conf tourney again.

The only logical conclusion is we're overdue for a HC change. It's best there is no half-mast, late season aberration like last year to paint over the rotten foundation.

19. bmbb

bmbb < 25 Posts

https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=doEMAAAAIBAJ&pg=1199,5763442&hl=en

It was reported Augie was the first choice. I do not believe DeLoss would have made that statement to appease anyone.

A Fullerton friend told me that Augie left because of lack of support regarding facilities for the team. The field did not have lights among other issues. He returned in '91 after 3 years with the agreement of better facilities.

Goodwin Field was remodeled and opened in '92.

Schlossnagle would have to change his recruiting method to be accepted at Texas. At TCU (lower academic standards) he relies heavily on juco transfers.
    TCU has 4 transfers in their starting lineup this year and about the same or more last year.

[/QUOTE]

20. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Dodds said, "I am going to get the best, I am going to talk to the number one guy, if he refuses, then I going to talk to the number two guy."

I was there when it said this.

The number one coach in college baseball in 1996 was Skip Burtman, having won the CWS in 1991, 1993, 1996, then again in 1997, then again in his last year as coach in 2000. He became the AD, the next year.

He and LSU dominated college baseball in the 90's. He was named Coach Of The Year, in every one of these years. There was no question who the number one coach in college baseball was at that time. Media people said he was contacted.

Everybody also knows why he got the AD job, to keep him at LSU, that was common knowledge also. This was unheard of then and still is now, for a college baseball coach to get the AD job, at a major school.

Did your Fullerton friend happen to mention the money involved with him going to Illinois? Did he mention that the AD at Illinois was the former AD at Fullerton? That this AD was let go, for the misuse of funds, that probably helped Garrido in his decision to go back to Fullerton, with him gone.

The incentives were better and his salary was larger, by far at Illinois.

One Sad Coach Still Loyal To Stoner - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

Coaches like the ones at Vanderbilt and Virginia would also have to change their recruiting strategies, wouldn't they. I think Schlossnagle could adjust at a place like Texas, if this is a problem for other coaches, then take Skip.

21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

NB,

Not being argumentative, but am curious if Deloss told you he went after Skip?

Also, look very closely into Skip's promotion to AD. While not very popular with a large number of the bayou donors, it had to be done. LSU was faced with a Jackie/aTm type situation.

I do know that Augie was Gus' first choice (obviously after Darren which would never happen). Deloss confirmed that in a one on one conversation before Gus "retired". (FWIW, I wanted Ty Harrington.)

As far as changing recruiting styles, Brian O'Conner would have to broaden his scope because we have far less academic restrictions than does UVA. While Vandy proclaims to have tough restrictions, they cheat their asses off and have a much softer entrance and curriculum for their athletes. O'Connor is the real deal; not sure about the Vandy guy.

22. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Dodds wanted Gus "retired," most baseball people know why. It was a messy experience for all, Gus was not happy. It was kind of like the Abe Lemons experience, without the lawsuit. I don't think he would be real concerned about who Gus wanted to replace him.

It's kind of ironic with the earlier post about "Houston recruiting" and now Deron, who I went to UT with. It was a nasty time for Texas baseball, with a bitter end.

Dodds said the above about possible baseball coaches, in response to a reporters question, didn't mention names.

I am sure LSU could have gotten lots of qualified people to be their AD, yet they somehow chose the very successful baseball coach, which wasn't a popular choice with influential Tiger folks. Some people looked at this hire, years before it actually happened.

23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

NB,

I am well aware of the situation with Gus (nothing to do with the camp funds), and was one of the people raising the most hell about he needed to either change things or be "retired".

I was just curious if anyone had ever heard Deloss mention Skip by name.

24. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sabre, thanks for final closure for me on Gus. I always believed that was a crock.

One of the "cons" of being a successful coach at Texas is one tends to lose context. When 100's of thousands of interested parties keep telling you thanks for the memories, one tends to overlook that "thanks for the memories" also can mean it is time to move on.

25. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

He was told on several occasions what had to be done. He refused. It is one thing when complaints are voiced by disgruntled alums with an ax to grind, but totally different when it comes from highly respected and very successful people within "the industry"; people with the ability to influence great prospects to go elsewhere, but worse yet to completely publicly destroy our program and do irreparable harm to the entire athletic department. Fortunately, those people, while having never attended Texas, were class acts, who gave The University the time and opportunity to take action.

• Like Like x 1
  26. orangeblack&gold

orangeblack&gold 500+ Posts

Wow, I would never have imagined this miserable thread would turn interesting. Glad I turned it back on again.

:popcorn: