Texas at Baylor 02/14/21

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Jacob Johnson, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I've watched most of if not all Baylor matches just for scout and here are in my opinion what Texas needs to do, and what Baylor does well......

What Texas needs to do

- "run this game through Collier/Ebo". Baylor switches guard to guard and big to big with Egbo and Smith and in my opinion neither can guard Collier one on one. Baylor will bring a double team when Collier gets the ball and it will be with a guard, probably Richard's.

- "overload one side with Collier in the paint". Baylor struggles with help side defense on an overload play. It worked very well for OK-state as well as K-state. Once you overload one side you could put Taylor on the opposite wing, Warren at the wing(with the ball), Ebo at the high post, Allen-Taylor at the short corner ball side because it's an easy over the top lob pass to Collier and if help comes it's a wide open 3 pointer for Taylor.

"BOX OUT/ REBOUND!!!" Baylor does a great job on the offensive boards. Their guards will crash the boards but it's mainly Smith. She is known for getting 2nd chance points and/or draw a foul.

"Get back in transition" I say this because Baylor is good in transition and although they are not a great 3 point shooting team, they will light you up in transition. Baylor really only has Carrington and Ursin who shoot on a consistent basis if left open. Smith has a great 15 foot jumper and can attack off the dribble but is a bit reckless so Audrey could really come into play in that aspect and Collier will have to be disciplined and not get silly fouls.

"Get to the free throw line/ make free throws" Baylor is a very handsy/physical team especially their guards. So the dribble drive should be work well with us if we use it right and to our advantage. I expect there to be some tension in this game because both teams have players who are not afraid to wrestle for the ball so expect a bit of chatting back and forth in this match.

Lol I had to put on a coaches hat for that one but that's just my key points for this game. Depending on which team we get, this should be a very good game. The way this team has been playing lately I would say they will be ready. All in all, that lineup with Warren, Ebo and Collier will need to be in the game majority of the time. Ebo will really be a key factor in this game! Lol sorry guys if this is too much or too early but since the softball games got canceled, I have nothing else to do until Sunday :(

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  2. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Great post. It’s always nice to have a conversation about our chances of winning as opposed to an over-simplified doom and gloom prediction of a loss.

Baylor is second in the nation in field goal percentage defense. We have to have more than just Charli scoring. Celeste needs to repeat what she did against OSU. JAT and Lambert need to get hot from the arc. Warren needs to be Warren.

On defense we have to (have to) shore up that weak side help. Baylor’s guards will do a lot of damage if we are slow to rotate. We did much better at that against OSU so I am hopeful.

Baylor sucks. That’s my story and I am sticking to it.

The sun'll come out
    Tomorrow
    Bet your bottom dollar
    That tomorrow…

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

We're going to need to do a lot of things right. I don't think you can leave the importance of Lambert having a good game out of this equation... Baylor is a good front-runner, once they get you down they can steam roll you. We can't afford to begin the game struggling offensively and turning the ball over. We really need her to show her stuff and have the others play like they're capable of also.
    Baylor can score the basketball especially at home, and we're going to have to score with them.
    We're going to need a good and balanced offensive effort, and play sound fundamental team defense in the quarter court. BOX OUT! They have so much more depth, we'll need to play good defense without getting into foul trouble.
    :hookem2:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Great/thorough post. I tend to oversimplify everything - Baylor struggles against teams that shoot three-pointers well (i.e. ISU). Shooting threes is not Texas' strength but we can hit them - especially Charli. I expect Baylor to double and triple team Charli. Take her out of the game and we lose half our offensive production. I hope others have career games and pick up the slack. Also - I wonder if the game may be postponed due to weather. Things don't look good Sunday and Monday.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  5. Jacob Johnson

I didn't even think about that. Especially since we are taking a bus I don't think it's safe as of now to be on the highway on a bus with all the ice on the road. We may be looking at a postponement here because like you said, it's not looking good. I saw one degrees on the map and had to do a double take. I have never in my life been in anything less than 20 so it's definitely going to be interesting

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I wonder if the team is traveling up today so that they can make it ahead of the winter storm, or if they wait until tomorrow and the game gets postponed?

7. WBBFAN19

WBBFAN19 25+ Posts

They traveled today, already there I think

• Like Like x 3
  8. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

A hotel in Waco. What a sacrifice. My heart goes out to them. :hookem:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. liatris

liatris 25+ Posts

With the forecast only getting worse wondering when they will be able to get out of Waco.

• Like Like x 1
  10. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Good question. I thought about that as well. We have TCU in Fort Worth on Wednesday... perhaps we go straight there once the roads are in better condition?

11. Jacob Johnson

Texas should reschedule that game Wednesday. Fort worth highway and roads are not somewhere they should be traveling right now especially by bus. It's supposed to clear up Tuesday but it won't be hot enough for the ice to melt then Wednesday it's supposed to pick back up. They should honestly just stay in waco until Thursday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

For the 1st time in my memory, team went to Bear-town yesterday, which was smart...hope they stay there tonight as well...and flying to Ft.Worth is risky as well on Tuesday...praying they all stay safe! Would sure be the best Valentines Day present EVER if we hand the Bears another loss! :hookem:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. zztx1

zztx1 100+ Posts

What we all want to see is a team that is confident in playing Baylor. In so many sports, when one side dominates the other, the losing team has a defeatist attitude from the first jump ball. I have seen it at every level and I have seen a program turn that around. I would be happy with a competitive game and a chance to win it at the end. I want to see our Coach go toe to toe with Mulkey Mulkey who will be screaming like crazy the entire game. The mindset needs to be there -- we clearly had that the last time we beat them. Looking forward to this one.

• Like Like x 3
  14. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

IMO this game won't be close. Texas struggles to score and baylor is one of the best defensive teams in the country. I think baylor wins by at least 20.

15. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Great, the game ahead of ours on espn just went into OT. That prob means we won't get to ours for 30 more minutes.

16. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Ours is showing on ESPNU in the meantime.

17. Jacob Johnson

Is your entire life revoled around negativity!!??? You come on this board before every game and all you do is speak down on Texas. It's sad and very pathetic. I try to find the positive in people and contribute only basketball to the women's basketball forum but when I look at your name even before reading the post I just know it's nothing but hate for Texas. You Baylor fans are something else:facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

O man I don't have espnu!

19. Jacob Johnson

Vic going to Ebo early as I expected. Interesting to see her guarding Smith Instead of Collier though

20. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

We have no chance if we continue to miss point blank layups...and FTs:mad:

• Like Like x 1
  21. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Has been an issue all year long. I don't get it.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Jacob Johnson

It's time to get Collier some looks! She has not taken a single shot and she is against Egbo who is known to foul

• Like Like x 2
  23. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Yeah, why Collier hasn't been involved yet is not a good sign.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Sigh. All self inflicted wounds so far.

25. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Killing us with the PnR

26. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Another game - more early foul trouble. YAY!

27. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Killing us on the O boards :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

Collier demand the ball and dominate. Please don't disappear in this game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  29. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

It's a miracle that we're down by 4. I think they should be pumped for that! Some good defense happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Jacob Johnson

I don't know if it's as cold in that gym as outside but they have got to wake up!!!!! Celeste Taylor and Warren have got to play with a bit more energy and finish layups and Collier needs to start on the block and get her shot from the paint then she should extend to jumpshots and 3 pointers.