Texas at Cal

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Wishbonemac, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Wishbonemac

Wishbonemac 250+ Posts

Just bought RT tickets on United for $ 204. Non-stop to SFO.

And its during San Francisco Beer Week too. Anyone else going? 4 game series.

I'm predicting post-season play this year.

It'll be fun to see if Clemems and Schiraldi can crack the lineup.

Rice opens at Stanford 3 hours earlier, I may go and boo both teams for a couple innings!

Does anyone know if John Curtiss is throwing yet?

2. OrangeBull

OrangeBull 100+ Posts

Going. Leaving Fri Am. Be there for all 4 games.

3. petscii

petscii 250+ Posts

Taking the train down from Seattle on Thursday then flying back the following Monday.

In.

4. billygoat hill

billygoat hill 250+ Posts

Flying in Friday on SWA points. Taking BART to catch the double header on Saturday.

5. Wishbonemac

Wishbonemac 250+ Posts

Learned tonight that the Website owners are expected to attend. Wilson too.

6. Wishbonemac

Wishbonemac 250+ Posts

Tickets went on sale moments ago, all General Admission apparently.

Their stadium only holds 2, 500 so don't delay.

7. petscii

petscii 250+ Posts

Purchased two sets of three for all Texas Games. I wonder if this is going to be a San Diego situation where they cap entrance to the stadium.

Evans Diamond was more a primitive camping situation when I was there to see Washington play. They also could not host their own regional during the "OMG SHUT IT DOWN OH NOES" season a few years back.

8. Wishbonemac

Wishbonemac 250+ Posts

I think the Bears mean business again this year.

In keeping with the University’s new branding identity, their team will be sporting new uniforms when they open their 2014 campaign! The new uniforms arrive on the heels of the Visual Identity the California Athletic Department launched in April of 2013, including a set of graphics, colors and imagery that pays homage to Cal’s historic past while presenting a contemporary look with an eye toward the future. Look for that!

Just like the other new uniforms Cal’s teams have unveiled in 2013, Cal baseball will have modernized uniforms that portray a coherent theme throughout all sports, including consistent use of Cal’s colors and marks.

“We are looking forward to showcasing our uniforms this season,” said head coach David Esquer, entering his 15th year directing the Bears. “The new hats and jerseys provide a classic look that our players like. We enjoy being a part of the University’s new branding.”

I'm sure this is is response to something new that Stanford is doing, I'll research that next week.

I DO plan to doff my cap to their opening night pitcher, Kyle Porter, who eliminated Baylor in the Super Regional and beat Aggie in Omaha as a freshman in 2011. How'd we let HIM get away?

9. billygoat hill

$7.00 fee for will call. WTF?

10. Orangeblood

Orangeblood 1,000+ Posts

Just print them for free.

11. billygoat hill

$3.00 for print at home. Total crap!

12. Wishbonemac

Wishbonemac 250+ Posts

The California State Teachers Retirement System has an estimated shortfall of $80 billion, don't be so selfish.

13. billygoat hill

14. sbmcruise

sbmcruise 100+ Posts

Sucks to start the season on the road far away: California.

I can't find any live coverage: Streaming, Radio, Live Stats etc. Does anyone have a source?

The Zone (1300) often carries away games, but their internet stream doesn't. I'm in Waco and want to follow the games someway without driving to Austin to listen in on the radio (very marginal reception of 1300 in Waco.

It appears KLAX The Link has the first game Saturday radio via streaming.

Maybe someone at the game will keep us posted via a game thread or I will follow on Twitter.

15. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

I been looking too and usually can find something. The trouble seems to be that the all access for Cal is covering basketball both women's and mens during baseball.

It doesn't look like there is any video source for any of the games. KVET won't stream any Longhorn broadcasts anymore. So it is really looking like we are shut out of a series like never before and on opening day and a four game weekend one to boot.

I will keep looking, but if there are no sources you can't access them. [​IMG]

16. petscii

petscii 250+ Posts

I assume we'll still be able to pay for the Longhorn audio via:
    The Link

I've done this a number of years, including back when it was Yahoo then CBS sports...

It is too bad they wont do video.

I've been thinking about offering to pay for someones account to watch the longhorn network during baseball season.

17. sbmcruise

sbmcruise 100+ Posts

I don't see baseball listed for internet audio this year. I didn't see 1300 as a supported station on the CBS site either???

Confirmed with 1300 "TheZone" that they will broadcast all four games live over the air in Austin, but not streamed over the internet. (UT rules)

I may end-up spending the weekend in Austin at my SO's daughter's house just to be able to listen to the broadcasts live unless I can figure out how to capure the braodcast signal and stream it to myself in Waco. I could just have the SO's daughter put her cell near the speaker, call me and let me listen in that way, but she's going to object to me tying up her phone that long. We all have unlimited minutes.

Anybody with a better idea?

18. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

I emailed the provider for the Texas Media Player on texassports.com which is called SIDEARM.

They are telling me that they will be offering streaming baseball again this season. The games should be listed on the showcase page in the coming week. This at least gives us some option for the Cal series.

They can't do video for Texas home games because of LHN.
    Of course before LHN all home games were web cast by UT for free and used the radio broadcast with Craig Way for audio.
    They were good productions with graphics and replays. The picture feed was very good too, better than the LHN interenet feeds I have seen which vary all the time from good to terrible. They seem to be even more unstable during live game feeds, maybe because of increased traffic. You would think ESPN could do better.

19. sbmcruise

sbmcruise 100+ Posts

Texas Media Player updated to show 1st couple weeks of baseball

20. Wishbonemac

Wishbonemac 250+ Posts

I'll be visiting Eureka! (2068 Center St in Bezerkeley) for their "Beer Flights of Bay area beers" prior to Fridays game then visiting Bobby G's Pizzeria (2072 University Ave) after the game as they tap their keg of Pliny the Younger that night.

Anyone wearing Orange and joining me gets their first beer on me.

I'll be taking the BART to SF Saturday night as Magnolia will be tapping a keg of their Old Thunderpussy Barley Wine and that mustn't be missed.

I'll be stopping at Toronado on the lower Haight on the way back to SFO Sunday afternoon for the Toronado Barleywine Festival. It should be raucous!

21. petscii

petscii 250+ Posts

Anyone else getting a hard sell, both email and phone calls to buy season tickets from Cal?

22. Referee13

Referee13 25+ Posts

For those going to Cal. Checked out Evans Diamond today. Only bleacher seating on the first base side. A grassy hill on the third base side with a few benches behind. Parking is terrible, only on the street or in a parking garage a couple of blocks from the field. They were cleaning the place, getting ready for opening day. Talked to a guy and he says Cal is a young team and the big question will be their pitching.

Looks like we will have a nice UT crowd.

23. Texas___Fight

Texas___Fight 2,500+ Posts

Not sure if anyone mentioned it but you might try the Tune-in app on your phone. [​IMG]

24. Wishbonemac

Wishbonemac 250+ Posts

We're tapping the keg of Pliny at 5 pm CST at Bobby G's Pizzeria, 6 minute walk from Evans.

25. ElginHotSausage

ElginHotSausage 500+ Posts

I am very jealous Wishbonemac.

26. billygoat hill

Man, that keg sounds tempting. I just might have to drop by. Hook 'em!

27. ElginHotSausage

ElginHotSausage 500+ Posts

They deked me. the iheart radio feed of kvet started the pre game show with Craig Way, then it cut off and went back to the fox sports ********.