Texas at Georgia: Big 12/SEC Challenge game

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Dec 1, 2017.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

not going to hit our nation leading 95 ppg. But a solid win over Georgia. holding them to about 20 pts below their average.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  2. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

final score will be 81-53, Texas. :yippee::hookem3:
    Ariel led with 17 pts, Jatarie with 13 pts and Brooke and LaShann with 12 pts led the Horns.

All 12 players available played and ten scored. As expected, our top six played a lot of minutes with Audrey-Ann limited to 17 minutes due to foul trouble. Brooke (33 minutes) and Ariel (30 minutes) led the ten veterans as all played at least ten minutes.

Great game, even with that low scoring last quarter. Georgia only had nine pts while Texas scored 14. Horns outscored Georgia in every quarter and never let Georgia show their typical strong second half. :hookem2:

• Like Like x 5
  3. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Very good business like win.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

UConn escapes ND, 80-71.

5. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

nice job on the road, ladies!!!:hookem:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Good first true road win.

Glad to see us start out well in the first quarter. Ariel's shot was just perfection early (and for most of the game).

Audrey-Ann frustrated me in the second quarter; just small mistakes that led to lost possessions/turnovers. But, she made up for it later in the game; glad to see her three-point shot falling this season; has to help her confidence.

Jordan Hosey looked like herself today; much more fluid around the basket. Just did a lot of good things on the floor today.

Nice to see Aborowa continuing to have success; definitely a much more confident player as a junior. The game seems to be coming to her easier now.

Really wish the freshmen would have seen more action, especially with it being on the road; honestly, if you can't put them in with a minimum 21 point lead in the second half, then when will you? Not saying they all need to be on the floor at the same time, but would have been good to see one occasionally to give them the experience other than in mop up duty.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  7. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I thought I saw Rellah in the second or third quarter for a couple of minutes

• Like Like x 2
  8. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

http://www.hookemplus.com/story/atkins-white-lead-no-2-texas-easy-win-georgia/

9. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Replay of the game coming up at 9 PM on the LHN.

• Like Like x 2
  10. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Great effort ladies!

11. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

12. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

We played a great game overall. I agree with Moooooo --- when you're up nearly 30 points in the early fourth quarter, I believe it was, when are the freshmen going to get to play? The two minutes at the end were better than nothing, but, IMO, they need to be substituted in, probably one at a time, for more minutes earlier than that if they are ever going to learn anything. We were lucky enough to get three highly ranked freshmen. They are raw at this point, but how do they learn without getting minutes? I was thinking how Celina and Empress were lucky in a way when they had to be thrown into the fire as freshmen because we didn't have anybody else. They got pretty danged good by the time they were seniors.

I guess it depends on what you like in announcers, but I thought Brenda Van Langen and Carol Ross were excellent on the call.

• Like Like x 2
  13. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

It's way down the road, but I'm wondering how we are going to handle Stevens down low when we play UConn. She was impressive.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Push her out of her comfort zone when she is on offense. She will be a handful, though, if she continues to play at that level. We do have a lot of experience scoring on posts with her height. I am more worried about the last Samuelson. This UConn team does seem to be dealing with more injuries than normal.

Can't wait to for this game to be played.

15. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Here's an interesting study in journalism, the recounting of the Texas-Georgia game:
    https://www.swishappeal.com/2017/12/4/16732410/texas-georgia-sec-big-12-ncaaw
    If you read it in a hurry, you might almost think that Georgia won, instead of the Longhorns. I had to go look at the home page of this sbnation posting to see if it was indeed a Georgia site. No, it's a women's basketball site. I'm sure (?) the author didn't set out to make it so Georgia-centric, but it was weird reading an article so tilted to a team that lost by 28 points.

• Like Like x 3
  16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Saw the same article and got the same impression.

• Like Like x 1
  17. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

The author, Sydney Shadrix, is a Georgia native who is currently getting her masters from UGA. If she were writing for a neutral site then she should put less of a hometown spin on her story.

18. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

Nice win. However...We still haven't played a top team. Georgia is picked to finish eighth in the SEC... In my opinion we will need a full speed Joyner Holmes to have a shot at UConn or to reach the Final Four. I watched the UConn/Notre Dame game, which was terrific basketball. Again in my opinion it was played at a much higher level than our contest. Yes, we will play up to the level of top competition, but we still have a ways to go. Agree with those who want to see more of the freshmen. We need to develop that potential. We may need Rellah Boothe in particular.

19. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

The question in my mind is how many games will it take to get Joyner back into the right shape and right basketball chemistry with the team? A friend said, "Well, she played USA BB this summer." True, but that was months ago. The passing under the basket has been sharp for the Horns. How long before she's ready for a sudden pass to her under the basket?

• Like Like x 2
  20. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I really liked Coach KA substitution patterns...I thought it kept pressure on Georgia. It will be great when she trust the younger ladies with more quality minutes. But from what I've seen game minutes are earned during practice, not game day. I trust Coach's decisions period.
    On another note the Celeste Taylor verbal is a great commit! She has a really good game.

• Like Like x 3
  21. LutherIsMyDog

Agree with Racer. Although it will be a boost to get Joyner back on the team, I expect that it will take a while for her to get into game shape and to get into the groove with the team chemistry. The current team has been working out together relentlessly for the past 6 weeks. Even though Joyner may have been working out on her own (hopefully) she has missed valuable training time with her teammates and coaches. I'm still excited for her return.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Did yall notice the "Tina Thompson" affect on our bigs..seems every game we play "14" (can't spell her name)LOL gets better and better. I love the way she is learning to keep ball high. And her shot has improved so much. Everyone is working on the drop step move Coach is famous for. I'm so excited for Rellah future.

• Like Like x 5
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Nothing to gain by worrying about Joyner's offseason conditioning, or how many games it will take her to get re-acclimated with the team and offensive/defensive changes.

As a former triple-jumper/track athlete, hopefully she has always been able to work on her conditioning in the offseason; and, she used that to her advantage the last several months away from the team.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  24. LutherIsMyDog

I'm not worried about Joyner. I'm excited about her return. Just being realistic that it's going to take a while for her to get up to speed.

• Like Like x 4
  25. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 10
  26. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I agree... I'm anxious for Joyner to rejoin the team. I'd be very surprised of she isn't working out hard but, as a former player, I can tell you most certainly that you can neither simulate the workouts the rest of the team has been through nor gain the level of conditioning that comes with them. Hopefully she's somewhere tirelessly working on her shot, and spending several hours a day running full court pickup games with guys.

• Like Like x 4
  27. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Love the way we are playing early.
    If we continue to improve, we are going to be Tough.
    Georgia has a nice team.I look to see them upset some Team's in the SEC.
    Hookem'

• Like Like x 3
  28. Karen

Karen 25+ Posts

I am also looking forward to Joyner, but one player can't make or break the team.

29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

One elite player can for sure make the difference between conference champion or runner-up; and, Final Four versus Elite 8.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  30. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

Few things are more fun to watch, or to play, than transition basketball.

• Like Like x 2