Texas at Kansas Wed (01/31/18)

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jan 30, 2018.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

#8/#8 Texas (16-4; 7-2) will travel to play 11-10; 2-8) NR/NR Kansas Wednesday night. The Horns won in Austin earlier in the season, 79-62 to run their record in the series to 25-10. Texas will be going for their 12th straight win against the Jayhawks.

KANSAS JAYHAWKS
    Kansas, like Texas, depends on their starting guards to provide the majority of their scoring. The Jayhawks’ two top scorers are both first year transfers: Christalah Lyons (#0, 5-5 Jr. G) at 14.6 ppg and Brianna Osorio (#2, 5-8 Jr. G) at 14.4 ppg. Their third leading scorer is Kylee Kopatich (#33, 5-10 Jr. G) who is averaging 12.1 ppg. Those three have scored 411 of KU’s 626 pts in conference games. That’s 65.7% of their scoring. Osorio (20-46; 43.5%), Kopatich (23-62; 37.1%) and Austin Richardson (#14, 6-0 Jr. F), another JC transfer who is hitting 35.3% (12-34) are the main 3pt shooters from BTA. The starting guards for the Jayhawks are also the top three at getting to the FT line. Lyons is tops with 41 of 58 attempts (70.7%). Osorio and Kopatich each has made 20 of 30 FTs (66.7%). The top FT shooter by percentage is Chelsea Lott (#1, 6-3 Jr. C) who is making 71.4% of her FTs (10-14).

Kopatich (4.6 rpg), Richardson (4.1 rpg) and Osorio (3.9 rpg) are the top rebounders for Kansas. The Jayhawks have four players that have reached double digits in assists. Lyons tops the four with 29 and Kopatich is second with 26. Osorio (15 assists) and Richardson (10 assists) make up the rest of the quartet. Their guards are also the top three in steals with Osorio having 17 steals, Kopatich 16 and Lyons 11. In ten league games, no Jayhawk has reached double figures in blocks. Richardson (9 blocks), Chelsea Lott (6 blocks and Bailey Helgren (#35, 6-5 Fr. C) with five blocks are the best shot blockers for Kansas.

Of fourteen players listed on their roster, 12 have seen action in league games. Jessica Washington, named the 2017 Big 12 Newcomer of the Year and to the All-Big 12 Second Team, is out for the year with an ACL injury. Brittany Franklin, a 6-5 Fr. C, has yet to play this season. In their ten Big 12 games to date, Lyons, Osorio and Kopatich have ten starts. Richardson has eight starts in ten games and Helgren has started nine of ten games. Chayla Cheadle (#22, 6-0 Sr. F) has two starts in nine games. Lott has one start in ten games. Kansas has used seven players in all ten league games and three more have played in nine games. The starting guards all average over 30 mpg: Kopatich is at 36.9 mpg, Lyons averages 35.9 mpg and Osorio comes in at 31.6 mpg.

TEXAS LONGHORNS
    Texas’ starters are providing 76.3% of the points scored per game. LaShann is averaging 18.8 ppg, Ariel 15.2 ppg, Brooke 12.1 ppg, Jatarie 8.9 ppg and Audrey-Ann 5.6 ppg. That leaves 18.8 ppg to come from the bench. Our three starting guards have taken 312 of the team’s 620 FG attempts (50.3%). LaShann tops the team in FG% at 62.4%( 63-101). Ariel (52-99; 52.5%), Audrey-Ann (20-36; 55.6%) and Jordan (10-20; 50.0%) all hitting at least half their shots. Rellah in the three games she played also joined that group at 60.0% (9-15). Our starting backcourt are the main 3pt threats, having made and attempted 27-94 treys. As a team, the Horns have made 37 of 139 triples. LaShann has the best percentage at 37.5% (9-24). Brooke has the most attempts (9-40; 22.5%) while Ariel is in between the two at 30.0% on 9 of 30 3pters. Those three are our best FT shooters as well. Ariel is almost automatic, making 24 of 25 (96.0%). Brooke is 22 of 25 (88.0%) as she and Ariel have the second most FTs attempted. LaShann has hit 34 of 46 (73.9%) to lead the team in FTs made and attempted. Alecia (11-14; 78.6%), Chasity (1-1; 100.0%) and Khaléann (2-2; 100.0%) are the only other players hitting at least 57% of their FTs).

Ariel (6.8 rpg), Jatarie (5.8 rpg), Brooke (5.6 rpg) and Audrey-Ann (5.2 rpg) are the mainstays in rebounding. Brooke’s 44 assists (4.9 apg) leads a group of five more players that average at least one assist a game. The next two are Ariel (27 assists) and LaShann (20 assists). Audrey-Ann’s 15 blocks (1.9 bpg) double up Ariel’s 8 (0.9 bpg) who is second in blocks. Our guards set the pace in steals with Ariel (26), LaShann (20), Brooke (8) and Alecia (7) in order.

The Horns’ starting lineup has been stable with Ariel (9), Brooke (9), LaShann (9), Jatarie (9) and Audrey-Ann (8) making up the quintet. Alecia has the only other start to date. Those five all play between 33 and 21 minutes with Brooke and Ariel both breaking 30 mpg. Alecia joins the other three in playing over 20 mpg.

LINEUPS
    Projected starting lineups are based on the last game played.
    upload_2018-1-30_16-25-58.png

While Kansas has some height to match Texas: 6-3 Lott, 6-5 Helgren, 6-5 Sara Boric (#50, Jr. C), 6-2 Tyler Johnson (#55, RS Soph. F), 6-5 Brittany Franklin (#31, 6-5 Fr. C) and 6-2 Micaela Wilson (#12, Fr. F), only Lott, Helgren, Cheadle and Johnson play significant minutes. Texas should have an advantage inside controlling the boards, especially if Joyner continues to play like she did vs ISU. The first game between the two teams was the one that Audrey-Ann sat out with an injury. It will be interesting to see how she does as Joyner and Jatarie were close to reaching double doubles.

The matchup of guards was close to a wash in the last game they played with the edge slightly in Texas’ favor. Texas should be able to force TOs and take advantage of the fast break to rack up points. The Horns will need to guard the 3pt line and not help off of the KU guards as they penetrate as all are capable of hitting open 3s.

STATS COMPARISON
    Team stats are for Big 12 games only.
    upload_2018-1-30_16-29-20.png
    upload_2018-1-30_16-32-9.png
    upload_2018-1-30_16-34-39.png

Texas should dominate inside. While KU has height to throw at the Horns, their bigs will not be able to run with the Horns. All three primary posts for Texas should be in double digit scoring. The Texas guards will need to trust the posts to handle things inside defensively and not allow the Jayhawk guards open looks from BTA or this could be a much closer game than it should be. The one thing Texas cannot do is put them on the FT line. In the last game, they shot exceptionally well on FTs to help keep them in the game.

Even playing at Allen Fieldhouse will not provide the Jayhawks with much of a home court advantage. They are 1-4 in Big 12 games at Allen Fieldhouse and Texas should be able to add another digit to their loss column.

Kansas played primarily man defense against KSU on Sunday. If they stay with that, Texas should be able to get open looks by penetration. Even if KU goes to a zone, logical given the Horns’ trouble hitting from outside generally, penetration is still key to getting teammates open looks. Horns should be able to use their press effectively to generate TOs. Dominance on the boards should also allow them to fastbreak frequently.

Hopefully, this will be the game in which our two frosh guards are healthy enough to get some playing time in.

Game day is Jan 31 (Wed) at 7 p.m. The site is the Allen Fieldhouse in Lawrence, Kansas. The game will be carried online by the JTV/ESPN3 (WatchESPN). Radio will be the FM 105.3 although I am beginning to doubt that as I have had trouble getting the game on that station. I do get another ESPN sports talk show, though. :smile1:

http://kuathletics.com/news/2018/1/29/womens-basketball-kansas-faces-no-6-texas-in-midweek-matchup.aspx

• Like Like x 3
  2. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

3. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

So, we have scored 8 points in over 15 minutes?????!!!!! EIGHT?!

• Like Like x 1
  4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

yep. a bit discouraging. defense is solid but our offense is not there. KU's just barely managed to score two threes.

5. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Horns came out of that TO to score five quick points but gave up another three. That's three treys for KU in the last couple of minutes. This is going to be a battle.

6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Better finish offensively to the third quarter. Back up to five point lead at the end of three. Still too close for comfort. Both teams simply unable to hit many shots this quarter.

Brooke is carrying us with 13 pts, including 3-5 threes.

7. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Audrey-Ann with two steals leading to four Texas pts. :hookem2:

• Like Like x 3
  8. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Horns unable to grab that reb, KU takes advantage of several offensive rebs to drain a three. Horns up 47-39 with 4:45 to go. Still too close for comfort.

9. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Horns up 12 with about two and a half to go. Brooke & Ariel scoring for Texas in the fourth.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

looking pretty now, up 14 with 34 secs to go. :hookem2:

11. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

55-41 Texas pulls out a road win. :hookem3:

• Like Like x 1
  12. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Whew! Some grit from the Horns to win, with an off shooting night for everyone, other than Brooke and Ariel!! :hookem2:

13. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Ariel leads Texas with 16 points (5/11, 1/3 from 3, 5/6 from the line). Rounded out the stat sheet with 7 boards, 3 assists and 5 steals.
    • Joyner with 10 points and 7 boards.
    • Brooke had 13 but took 15 shots to get there (5/15, 3/8 from 3).
    • Texas +8 on the glass.
    • Held Lyons to 3 points in the 2nd half after letting her score 15 in the 1st.

14. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Boy oh Boy Brooke could not hit her teardrop shot tonight. I think she missed 5 opportunities and that has been her Signature shot in the past. TCU this Saturday is going to be a VERY tough test for us. They run a very tight zone and we have not responded well to the 2-3 zone. I will have to admit that the team's defense in the 4th quarter was stifling. Hopefully they will not let TCU shoot 82% from behind the arc and 58% on field goals like the last game. I am sure KA will have them ready this time!!

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  15. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Only one dominant quarter, the first and 14 pts in the fourth but they held KU to five in that last quarter. Ariel (16 pts) and Brooke (14 pts) led the Horns. Brooke (3-8) and Ariel (1-3) wee the only ones to hit a three. Ariel & Audrey-Ann tied for the rebounding lead with seven each. Audrey-Ann had three of the team’s five blocks. Ariel (5), Brooke (4( and Audrey-Ann (2) were the leaders in steals.

Horns had only 12 TOs, forced 20, including 15 steals. Horns got 19 pts off TOs and 12 fast break pts. They ended up making 75% of their FTs (9-12). They only hit 36.2% of their FGs but held KU to 31.3%.

Tougher than expected (by me anyway) road win but it was a win.:coolnana:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

Not a championship offense.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Good defense. Enough offense to win, but not good. Brooke came through in the 3rd and Ariel in the 4th. What happened to our offensive confidence? Early in the year, Lashann and Sug were putting up three's and mid-range jumpers with confidence. Now Lashann, especially, seems to have gone back to her old self (which was good, after all). They don't want to take three's, unless there is simply no option. The one she had to take went in, no surprise, though she didn't beat the clock. All I can think of is that Brooke's shooting woes have been unnerving to everyone on some level. Ariel can be so fantastic, but also really streaky. It was again good to see Joyner looking more like herself.

I don't know what happened after he 3rd quarter in the Baylor-OSU game, but Baylor didn't look like any world beater through three. Like a different team than the one who beat us. They probably turned it around in the fourth, but still...

18. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I’ll take a road win anyway we can get it, but that was just an odd game. I hate that Brooke seems in a bit of a funk, but if a bad night still gets her 13 points, 4 rebs, 4 assists, and 4 steals... well we really are lucky to have her here.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Sometimes I go thru these feelings that Brooke is having an off night, why not just sit her. Then I see that our offense seems lost without her.
    Lately I've wondered Is Sug ready? Will Chasity be ready inspite of her lack of playing time this year. I can't wait to see the transformation of the 3 freshmen after the coming off season conditioning.
    Ok now back to the here and now....Good road win Ladies!

• Like Like x 2
  20. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

IMO, there is something off with the chemistry of this team. Not sure when it started but they don't seem to be on the same page. As Joe Dallas mentioned, they are hesitating and/or passing up three pointers. Hopefully they will figure it out or else we could be sputtering towards the finish line.

• Like Like x 3
  21. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Another PATHETIC performance. Six years ago we couldn't attack a zone defense. Granted, we lacked the talent and shooters then but what's the "excuse" six years later with 10 McDonald's All-Americans? Let me guess... the recruiting rankings were GROSSLY inaccurate about our recruits but they don't seem to be inaccurate about others???
    #noncoaching

22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Baylor didn't play all that great on Sunday at West Virginia against a team without a bench. Playing on the road is tough for all teams.

23. seanzozo

seanzozo 25+ Posts

No matter how much you say it. The problem is simply not in the X's and O's. If a person were shown only our home games, they would see a team that destroys zones and junk defenses. At home, we are among the top offensive teams in the country with an aggressive and opportunistic defense. At home, the team has made good adjustments and has managed to always punch back.

The problem has been, since Tennessee, that our road team has been far less consistent. Solid offense in many of the road games, but questionable defense in a number of those (like TCU). Bad at both in Baylor and now solid defense with really poor offense at Kansas. My eyes see an extra hesitancy to act in those bad road games (as if the players are trying not to make a mistake, rather than trying to succeed) that has never been present at home. I don't know why Karen has had trouble keeping the team confident and consistent on the road. And I do think the Karen needs to figure it out and should not be immune to strong criticism for it, as it's her responsibility. But please keep the tirades at least slightly tethered to reality.

• Like Like x 8
  24. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Idk that you can call a road win in one of the nations toughest conferences a "pathetic" performance if you're giving an honest assessment. KU is a difficult matchup for Texas in general. For context, we beat them by 17 at home and by 14 on the road.

But I suspect you don't care about context because you go above and beyond to be negative in most cases.

Also I've never bought into or even read any posts where a someone said the AA's were "grossly inaccurate". If I recall correctly they were saying that things weren't what they appeared on their face because our freshman have all had set backs that kept them off the court this year

• Like Like x 2
  25. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Unlike some I don't wear the orange-colored glasses. I've been a faithful fan of this team for a long, long time... probably longer than most others on here but can't say for sure since there's no personal connection. I just call it like I see it and it ain't pretty. I can't believe THE TRUTH offends so many as if they were related to someone on the staff. When they step it up, get with the X's and O's, throw in some variety so other teams can't use a template game plan against us, develop the talent, and stop getting stomped by Baylor and challenged by much lesser teams then I'll STFU. I'd like nothing more than to do that... but I have a feeling I'll be singing this same song for awhile. If you can't handle the truth... ROUGH ROCKS!

26. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

This is where we start eating our own.

27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

With fans like brnkj, who needs enemies?

• Like Like x 1
  28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

29. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Why the hell not?

By the way, statistically speaking your argument doesn’t hold up. It’s simply emotional in nature and far from “the truth”.

Everything looks better with a burnt orange tint :smokin:

• Like Like x 3
  30. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

the FACT is that we're a top 10 team that many (who get paid to analyze the game) predict to make a run to the final 4. Something we haven't done in 15 years. If that means the sky is falling in your eyes, then by all means carry on

• Like Like x 6