Texas at Miss. State this Sunday

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Nov 19, 2016.

1. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I can't seem to stop complaining, but "pressure defense" isn't the answer to every ball game. MSU is certainly just as quick and deep as we are, probably more so considering the turnover ratio between them and us.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I did see a 2-3 zone after Ariel got into foul trouble. But, with Tasia playing, that zone looks really small.

3. "Anna hook em"

"Anna hook em" 250+ Posts

I sure wouldn't want to be in that lockerroom right now, it's a ugly game but not over by longshot

4. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Just not very good on both ends of the floor. Outside of Ariel, Brooke, and Lashann they don't have anyone on the perimeter that can put the ball in the basket. Also the lack of size is effecting the rebounding as well.

5. "Anna hook em"

Likes the way it's starting

6. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

See???? Audrey-Ann can hit those!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

really? :rolleyes1:

8. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

much better intensity on both ends and running the offense.
    Horns looking good this quarter. :hookem3:

• Like Like x 2
  9. "Anna hook em"

We need to finish it the 4th quarter is our quarter!!!

10. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

Before I muted him the very yappy announcer said he watched the practices and Texas was coached and specifically prepared for this kind of game from MSU. The team knows what to do but they are not executing.

11. HookedorNot

HookedorNot 25+ Posts

I agree Imani is missed but we aren't losing because of post play, we are losing because we don't have any offensive flow. Celina allowed Brooke to be a scorer but now Brooke has to run the offense. I also think Coach Mays used to make halftime adjustments for Aston. I can't see us beating any of the top teams but Tennessee.

12. "Anna hook em"

So true we still have time Left but we need to execute

13. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

The second quarter killed us. If we had stayed up with them then, we might have hung all the way. We are losing these games, but great learning experiences. Brianna Taylor was a really bright spot. I like Holmes being assertive. Hope she will become more so, and work on her shot. Does she sometimes shoot better from outside? Maybe we will surprise someone and win one of these games.

• Like Like x 2
  14. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

They're not good on offense or defense. Imani's shot blocking, rim protection and rebounding was huge for this team. Offensively they don't shoot the ball well from the perimeter and they don't have anyone that can post up an score close to the basket.

15. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

79-68 MSU. Disappointing loss but like the no quit shown by the team. Much improved in the second half. Now we need to carry this experience forward. Our frosh are getting to swim in the deep end of the pool before Big 12 play starts.

Still lots to work on before South Carolina comes to town Dec. 1.
    :hookem2:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

The mainstays on our team know what it is like to play without Imani as she missed many games in her career at Texas. We used Kelsey Lang much differently in the past, it seems, and she was effective when Imani was injured. Haven't seen much of her 10 foot jumper this season.

I do not like the offense where we are starting Audrey-Ann and/or Joyner at the top of the key, and no one under the basket. The coaches are going to have to use Joyner much more under the basket as she is definitely our strongest and quickest post player. Audrey-Anne and Kelsey won't get it done if they don't have a power forward playing with them in the paint.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

And, the burnt orange in our shorts does not match the burnt orange in the jerseys. Nike should be ashamed they sent those to be worn as a set.

• Like Like x 2
  18. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

I agree that we need a consistent threat from the outside. Chaz Patterson may bring that outside shot next year. Tatum V also has a great 3 pt game so I hope we keep recruiting her. Tatum reminds me of one of those OU players that will kill you as they keep draining threes.

19. breckenj05

breckenj05 100+ Posts

Anyone know when Khale-Ann (sp) will be back from injury? Disappointed with the loss today but I did like how we finished the game. South Carolina has arguably the two best post players in the country to go along with Kaela Davis and Alisha Gray. That game could be ugly if we don't fix something. Maybe this tough schedule will just help us be better prepared for conference but we'll just have to wait and see. Like Moooooo stated, I also noticed that the shorts and jersey did not match and was wondering what was going on with that.

20. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

From what I know, Khaleann was expected to miss the first 2-3 games, minimum. Not sure how her rehab is going yet, so it could be a couple more games.

21. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

Some stuff to work on but it's early and the team looked better in the second half. We out shot the Bulldogs and had a +10 rebounding edge, but those 24 TO's (twice as many as Miss State) did us in. Better get that under control before we face SC, UCONN and the Vols in consecutive contests.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Agreed our uniforms look terrible! We look like bell hops!! I really like the black trimmed unis much better!!

23. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Sounds like everyone noticed...those shorts and tops are completely different colors, colors which happen to look very bad together. How could this happen? At a university which can pay for just about anything for athletics...isn't there some kind of quality guarantee or warranty? Surely they weren't ordered this way. Reminds me of a high school or middle school team making the best with what they have.

24. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

IMO, there is much more to be worried about than the uniforms. This team is young, and the only senior that seems to be playing hard is Bre. I love Kelsey, but she just isn't strong enough to handle other powerful posts down low. Seems we need an offense kind of like Notre Dame. Motion, motion.

• Like Like x 2
  25. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

I think Kelsey will be fine. No doubt we are having to adjust to the loss of Imani, but I think post play will be one of our strengths this season. Joyner, Kelsey and the twins.....remember, none of these four have ever played together before, so they're figuring out roles, rotations etc. And we haven't seen Khaleann yet, and IIRC correctly she was injured after just a couple of contests her first season at Vandy, so effectively both she and Joyner are in their first season of collegiate play. It would have been nice to take a couple of road wins vs. ranked opponents to open the season, but perhaps the results vs. the Cardinal and Bulldogs will give us more to work on, and even enhance our preparedness and focus over what it might have been had we been entering those big three upcoming games at 3-0. That's the hope anyway. We've got 10 days before the SC game, and about 2 and 3 weeks respectively before facing the Huskies and Vols. A lot of time to work on what needs to be fixed, and learn from the mistakes of these early games. We have to avoid giving up the big runs, and eliminating TO's, both of which have been our nemesis during past seasons. And, for the most part, I think these issues are a thing of the past, though not in last night's game for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  26. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I think Andy Landers made some spot-on observations about our team which, in short, pointed out our overall lack of experience as the main ingredient for our deficiencies. For the most part I agree, and I am not really all that surprised at our current struggles. In fact I predicted it. Having said that, I don't understand Higgs and Sutton being played 8 min and 2 min respectively. I'm not on the staff, not an insider, and not in practices so I wouldn't begin to know what's going on that's causing them so little playing time.

• Like Like x 1
  27. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

OMG!!! I thought it was just me. That's pitiful. I know someone noticed the different shades of burnt orange. It looked terrible. Do I need to apply for the equipment mgr position?

• Like Like x 1
  28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Let's just go back to our black jerseys for road games. That mis-matched burnt orange looks like crap.

• Like Like x 1
  29. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Why does every other team seem to have players who look smooth shooting the ball and all of our players (with the possible exception of Brooke) look awkward as hell when they shoot?

• Like Like x 1
  30. airtightskipole

airtightskipole 25+ Posts

Yes it look horrible. This is the first game I've got to watch this year. Was that a mistake or are
    Those what our jerseys and shorts will be colored all year?