Texas at TCU Wed.

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Appreciate all the updates! :hookem:

Men beat a good WVU team tonight. Excellent bball for all the Horns.

• Like Like x 2
  2. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Horns win!! Whew, that was too close! :hookem2:

3. UTFORLIFE

UTFORLIFE 25+ Posts

Great win!!!

4. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Meanwhile...OSU and ISU are in OT. OSU is up 73-69 with 2:15 to go.

5. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Only five TOs in the second half after 11 in the first.

Imani got another double double (19 pts, 10 rebs) & six blocks and four steals.

Imani had 19 pts, Ariel 13 and Brooke 11. Celina had 8 assists to go with 6 pts and four steals.

Brianna had nine pts, five rebs, three assists and two steals.

Strong second half to pull this one out. TCU only hit two 3s in the second half after making five in the first two quarters. Horns lost the rebounding battle, 35-37 but doubt that anyone really cares right now.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

jusme828, thanks for the tip about ISU-OSU. Gonna catch the last half minute.

7. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Biggest second half of the season. They couldn't lose this game, it would've been bad for them mentally after what happened last year.

• Like Like x 2
  8. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

OSU wins 79-76 in OT.

9. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Well they DID value the basketball in the 2nd half. :bow:Dogfight, but a good win!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Really happy to get this road win. Even before the Baylor loss, I had this game as possible just based on TCU's style of play. They may be undersized in the post, but they play very aggressively and put a lot of pressure on the ball. I think Lang fell victim to the pressure with two overpass turnovers. Conversely, Celina played like a solid senior floor leader; one of her better games, IMO; she seemed very fast tonight and played in control all night.

TCU had OU on the ropes in Fort Worth a few weeks ago. They also played well in Waco. TCU will get a big home upset this season; hope it's against Baylor.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  11. UTFORLIFE

UTFORLIFE 25+ Posts

Didn't get a chance to watch the game. Did the turnovers in the first half come from trying to force the ball into the paint?

12. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I'm repeating myself, but Celina is the glue. After the early fouls against Baylor, her first foul came tonight in the 4th qtr.

• Like Like x 1
  13. HookedorNot

HookedorNot 25+ Posts

Nice road win!!! This was one of those gotcha games. The young ladies just started classes and coming off a tough loss on Sunday. They responded and I was glad to see Coach A and staff tighten up the rotation in the 2nd half. Celina, Brooke, Ariel, Bri and Imani were flowing. Empress had an off night but was solid with her defense as usual. Kelsey still has to get tougher but did an okay job with finishing a few shots.

It was good to see Coach A remain calm on the sideline when we started off slow. We seen her start subbing way too early in the past, which can put us further behind.

Hook'em Horns!

• Like Like x 1
  14. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

As I mentioned earlier, this was a real "trap game" for us....coming after a demoralizing loss--- and just before the big Red River Rivalry Game. We stayed calm, and kept to our game plan even though we were behind for most of the game.

I noticed our coaches didn't take McCarty out when she drew her 2nd foul in the first half. Lesson learned! This team seems to play with more continuity---more smoothly---when Atkins and McCarty are on the floor at the same time.

Because we were in such a battle, our coaches left the strongest rotations in the game from start to finish. I think it's becoming more and more evident who our go-to lineups should be.
    This is taking nothing away from our #'s 8, 9, 10. They ARE and WILL CONTINUE TO BE major players as we move forward, but things dictated a "no questions asked" rotation tonight, and our coaches did very well determining our lineup and substitutions.

Congrats to the team on a well-deserved yet hard-fought victory. Imani was excellent tonight, obviously. This should give her confidence for Saturday's game against Okiehoma. I'd feared she might be uptight and flat tonight after Sunday's game. But she played with such determination and poise tonight! It was such a pleasure to watch her play, as it was with the entire team.

Good efforts by all!!
    Hook'Em....

• Like Like x 2
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Pretty sure I saw Brooke get pulled immediately after her second foul. TV cameras showed her frustrated as she sat on the bench. But, she definitely came back prior to half time.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Coach Cathy Self-Morgan and her Duncanville team were in the stands - were vocal any time Ariel made a play.

17. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

The light color of the floor is different....very modern, and the hue projects a stimulus, visually, towards the school's purple color. Many of their jerseys have silver outlining, and the color of the floor entices that stimulus, as well. Great design concept, actually!

18. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

If McCarty got pulled, it was for the blink of an eye, literally.....as she played more minutes (34) than any player on the team. And Atkins got 29 minutes...double what she had against Baylor.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Play-by-play shows that Brooke was subbed out at the 4:21 mark in the second quarter. She did not return prior to halftime as I had previously thought.

20. TagHorns

TagHorns 250+ Posts

Thank the Lord we won that one! Smooth lineup? It was horrible! I had never seen us play so bad! Midway through second half got a little better. We looked like bafoons tripping over our feet and looking lost on defense. So many lazy turnovers. That had to be Brooke's worse game Ive seen her play. She finally hit some later but she was off especially defensively. Their guards ate her lunch. She ended up with 10 or 11 I think so she cleaned up her offense Somewhat. Empress was on defensively but looked like she rushed getting to the basket too many times. Several sitting around us were saying there's no way this was the same team that our record shows. I completely agree. It was embarrassing! We got lucky with this win. Imani saved our butt. Ariel played well too! She should be in there more! Kelsey had a hard time with those small posts and finishing. Relieved we won but we looked horrible!

21. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Thanks for letting me know that. I must have thought her first foul, with around 6 minutes left in the first half, was her 2nd, and I saw she was still playing. Isn't it amazing that she could have played more minutes than any player tonight? And she looked so fresh in the 2nd half as she ignited our run to get that win...whew......

22. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

You're funny! I think I could learn to like you!

• Like Like x 1
  23. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

We played a good team on the road and never gave up until we got the win. Couldn't ask for more than that. Good job Horns.
    :hookem:

• Like Like x 3
  24. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Nothing personal but I just watched the replay and it wasn't nearly as bad as you made it sound. TCU got really, really hot for about three minutes in the second quarter at the same time we had a couple of careless turnovers and went a little cold. Other than that we played great ball. We pulled it together and dug ourselves back out of a hole. Kelsey in particular had some great moments. Brooke lit a fire when we needed one lit and Imani was steady and sure.

TCU managed a few timely threes that made it look like the game was getting away from us.

I am sure watching it live was extremely scarey and frustrating because we never got the lead until the end so I bet many Horns fans were on the edge of their seats watching it live. Watch it in the replay and I think you'll see it differently.

• Like Like x 4
  25. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I was proud of the team for coming back. It would have been devastating to lose to TCU right after Baylor, and taken our confidence down bad. We played a good second half, did not quit fighting, did not go crazy with turnovers like we did last year. Imani was very special. Can't agree with you that Kelsey had a good game. She needs to do some individual work on her passing.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

Texas would have lost badly without Imani, who had one of the best offensive games she's ever had---a variety of graceful shots, turn-around jumpers, hooks, etc. We'll miss her next year. In my opinion Texas didn't play very good defense and let the quick TCU guards get open time and time again. They got past our guards and went to the hoop easily. Fortunately Imani was usually there to defend. Most of us--and I bet that includes Karen Aston--- had a chilling sense of deja vu, as TCU clung to their lead and kept it close throughout the second half. Would this be 2015 again? Fortunately we got that monkey off our back. I won't call this a "good "win, because we didn't play that well, but it was a profoundly necessary one. We played a basic eight player rotation, but it didn't really produce more points than usual for us. That doesn't mean it was a bad idea. I think next year, without Imani, Texas will need to change its offense, put more motion, versatility and screens in it, and generate more mid range opportunities for the shooting guards.

• Like Like x 2
  27. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

We will be able to point to this game when the season is over, because a win here got us refocused and prevented what could've been a 2-3 game slide that would've knocked us right out of the conference title race.

• Like Like x 3
  28. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

I think they should play small next year. They will have a lot players that are versatile and can play multiple position. If they play small next year I think their offense and defense will be very good. It will create more space on offense and they can switch every screen defensively.

29. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

TCU scored 72 points against Notre Dame earlier in the season so let's give them some credit. We beat a very good team on the road. They have a record that doesn't paint an accurate picture of their program. Outside the B12 they would have many more W's under their belt especially with three really great three point shooters including (I think) the top two in our conference.

30. HookedorNot

HookedorNot 25+ Posts

TCU played really well in the first half, they were hitting their 3 ball. The second half was totally different, we picked up the defensive intensity and locked them up and started hitting our shots. I do not agree with the earlier assessment that we played bad. TCU is a tough game because they do things others in the conference can't do. They have three athletic guards that can all shoot the 3 ball, plus they play a lot of zone defense (which we do not see often).