Texas at Tech Sat, Jan. 20

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jan 19, 2018.

1. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Interesting that for a few minutes, the "Big 3" of Jatarie, Audrey-Anne, and Joyner were playing together. Guess Karen was seeing how that would look against Baylor.

• Like Like x 3
  2. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Actually you said 60 not 70. And the fact that high turnovers have historically been a part of our game, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t strive to lower that number. Against UConn we had 9. As good as that is, I want none. And I’m pretty sure Aston would want any number less than 18 in our game against Tech.

Just curious. How many do you think is acceptable against Baylor? I’ll go out on a limb: as few or as many that still allows us to win and then one less for good measure.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  3. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I think Aston is OK with 13 or less turnovers from what one of the broadcasters said a few games ago.

I would have never bet money on 9 against UConn.

• Like Like x 2
  4. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Same here.

5. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I almost felt bad for Tech, not quite but almost.

One things for sure, Karen isn't going to reward a player for being lazy, I don't care who it is. Neither is Geno, Tara, Muffin or Kim. I guarantee a lazy player wouldn't play for Geno. Samuelson and Nurse are the thinnest I've ever seen them. And Geno can do whatever he wants when it comes to PT and no one will question it because he is the God of women's BB. Karen can do the same thing and will be criticized because she doesn't have the same reputation.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I agree that players must earn their playing time. But, posters on UConn's message boards have talked at length about Geno not going to his bench more often, especially as it concerns the freshmen. So, no one is above criticism.

• Like Like x 5
  7. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

It was nice to see shots of Jody Conradt with Marsha Sharp at the game together and a mini-reunion with between Sheryl and Tina.

But it looks like Mackenzie Calvert just up and quit the team. Wow.

8. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Who are we referencing as "lazy" doubt any of the girls fit that mold, they're just inexpereinced and the Aston way takes some time to get used to.

Re: Questioning Geno, of course he doesnt get questioned because he WINS. Winning cures all. PERIOD. If he had lost to Tennessee, TCU and Texas with having 4 All-Americans on the bench I am sure there would be questions for him too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

And that still doesn’t make it okay. I talked about Geno playing his best players the majority of every game and some on here said that I was wrong. Megan Walker the number 1 recruit rode the bench the entire game against Texas and the majority of her minutes have come when UConn is blowing teams out and when Samuelson was injured earlier this year.

I appreciate the way that coach Aston runs her program it’s not about 1 player. The other players are always watching and if they see a coach letting players slide with things they won’t respect that coach.

• Like Like x 2
  10. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Good Job Texas
    Hookem'

11. utfannforlife

I think we'll civilly disagree on this one. IMO winning does make it OK. Thats his job, to win games. If he can do that playing 5/6 ladies then thats a hell of a testament to him and those 6 gals

• Like Like x 1
  12. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Totally agree kurupt. This brings me to Rellah. It appears Rellah is in Coach Aston's doghouse since there's been no disclosure of injury, it's been confirmed she is DNP - Coach's Decision, and doesn't travel with the team to away games.

The last time we saw her play, she was immediately pulled when she drained a 3-pointer at the top of the key. This coincided with Joyner getting playing time in front of Rellah. For the good of the team, I agree Joyner needs to more playing time in front of Rellah. But from Rellah's perspective, she's been practicing and been with the team all season and suddenly another player who's been absent from the team is not only getting more playing time, but is playing in front of Rellah who's been there since day one of the season. It's a fragile circumstance if not handled correctly.

13. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

I really hope I am wrong but I have to assume that Rellah will not play or travel with the team until she adjusts her attitude, buys into the program, learns to play defense before offense and gets in better physical condition so she can run the floor with the rest of the team. The few times she has been in games she immediately wants to shoot from the perimeter when it seems, she has been told to stay in the paint. She obviously has great skills and wants to contribute but it's a team sport and she must learn to be a team player.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

We will disagree on this one. The means doesn't justify the ends. I did admire the time that he took 6 players and won the national championship but that was dictated, like Norte Dame this season, by injuries, not by stubbornness as in this season in developing his bench and running those six players into the ground, The core has been hit by injuries with three of the six sidelined due to playing when subs were available to give them minutes off.

We complain about Coach Aston not playing the three frosh but she does have a bench that she makes liberal use of. Even Coach Mulkey with only eight players, uses her three reserves to give her starters a rest during games.

And Geno has very talented freshmen and sophs sitting while the core five play without subbing except for one transfer whom he is not very happy with. His coaching failure if he does trust his subs enough to give his starters a few minutes rest.

• Like Like x 1
  15. utfannforlife

Personally I only complain or express my frustration with that strategy when it leads to a loss. If like Geno, she were able to win big games without playing key frosh then it would be a non issue in my book.

Also to be fair to Geno, judging how his reserves played in their second to last game I can certainly understand why they dont play more. He says they've been that bad all season. Idk if we can say the same about our girls because we see them do positive things when they get on the court.