Texas at UConn in Jimmy V game

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Dec 3, 2016.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I think Jada could fill this role. Or Alecia. Both have sweet strokes shooting.

Re finding LaShanna on Samuelson, I guess, given her quickness, she would have been a good choice to give Brianna a break but, for some reason, it was a poor matchup. I think Jada will be a better matchup should the teams meet again.

We were able to clean up our fouling. That's what I had worried about. Our TOs, not so much. Only against Miss. State did we make that many TOs. I would expect that some of those will be cleaned up before the Tenn. game. We will need to have both under control to beat Baylor.

Looking forward to watching the replay tonight to get a better sense of what happened in the fourth quarter.

• Like Like x 1
  2. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

I have to push back just a tad on Lashann vs Samuelson. She was in great position and she just hit some really tough shots. I watched all but 2 of Uconn's other games before ours and that post up/flex cut that they were running for her was new. I imagine that was because she had been struggling with her shot.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I think both Jada (6-0) and Ariel (5-11) would have spend some time guarding Samuelson, providing a different and taller option. Hard to guard someone who has six inches on you and can elevate quickly like Samuelson. Neither Brianna nor LaShann were in bad position but she just shot over them. Credit good offensive execution instead of poor defensive play.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

5. Charlie Syracuse

Charlie Syracuse < 25 Posts

The problem is that you can look through the game film and find instances where Samuelson was getting beat up and calls that were not made too. The game is not decided on one play, and to dwell on one is a disservice to the team by being too emotional and not learning. One should not settle on an excuse but learn as much as possible from great games. Texas is a much better than the record and I believe will be in the final four this year. But only if they do not dwell on the losses but learn from each game. Could they beat these teams if they played them again?...yes, are they much better than the beginning of the year?...definitely!

• Like Like x 2
  6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

yeah, but we are fans. We can do that, just like UConn, ND, OU, you name it, fanbases do. And it has no effect on the team's performance.

I agree the team should learn from each game and strive to improve.

• Like Like x 2