Texas/Bama fan ratio

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LeftyLonghorn, Jan 11, 2010.

1. LeftyLonghorn

LeftyLonghorn < 25 Posts

Approximately what was the ratio of Texas fans to Bama fans at the game? I work with a Gump who was there and he insists that Bama had at least 40,000 fans in the stadium. It didn't look that way on TV, and I've heard others say that they were surprised that the Bama fan turnout wasn't nearly as many as they expected.

2. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

I was sitting on the 45 under the press box and there were MORE Texas folks...something approaching 60 %....similar to our last visit there.... [​IMG]

3. Hornoholic

Hornoholic 25+ Posts

I agree with the 60/40 ratio. At least...maybe a little more in our favor.

4. Whiterock Horn

Whiterock Horn 1,000+ Posts

It looked fairly even from my endzone seat. Bama was much louder in the second quarter (surprise), but I think we outdid them in the second half (surprise again).

Good showing by Horns fans.

5. mstrat

mstrat 250+ Posts

They were louder obviously for most of the night, but 60/40 is fair.

Was anyone surprised at how hazzy the field of play was this year?

6. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

It was about 50/50. The Bama fans seemed to be in their seats a lot earlier than the Texas fans, though.

7. KS1866

KS1866 100+ Posts

Outside the stadium I would have said 80-20 Texas. Inside the stadium, at least from our seats on the 20 on the Texas side but near the Bama end zone, it looked pretty equal to me. I agree that the Bama folks must have gone into the stadium a lot earlier than we did.

And, from my unscientific analysis, we had much better looking fans than they did. [​IMG]

8. LonghorninAustin

LonghorninAustin 1,000+ Posts

I thinnk it was 60/40 inside but as mentioned we had a lot more outside the stadium. I heard a Bama fan after the game say he couldn't believe how many more fans Texas had in the stadium. He said Texas outnumbered Bama 4 to 1. I laughed.

9. AlamoHeightsHorn

AlamoHeightsHorn 100+ Posts

we were in a suite in the pressbox and had a bird's eye view of the stadium from the west side.

I'm gonna be honest in saying that I would say it was 50-50 at best and perhaps more Bama folks than Texas folks in the common areas that the scalpers/brokers sold that were not distributed from the UA/UT ticket allotments.

there were alot of Bama people on the grounds that didnt get into the game as well.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. envgeo

envgeo 500+ Posts

Press box was on the Bama side this year, perhaps that made a difference in your view?

From my view, 50/50.

11. KS1866

KS1866 100+ Posts

Even back at the SAE house AlamaHeightsHorn was always kind of a suite guy.

12. Dirty Martin

Dirty Martin 500+ Posts

It looked 50-50 to me too.

13. AlamoHeightsHorn

KS-? do we know each other?

14. KS1866

KS1866 100+ Posts

Pledge brother.....

15. AmazonHorn

AmazonHorn 25+ Posts

Outside it looked like 10-1; inside it looked roughly even, and that surprised me; however, when I got home and watched the game on TV what I noticed was that the Texas side (where I was seated) was overwhelmingly Texas fans, with only an occasional Bama fan seen; but on the Bama side you could tell on TV there were LOTS of folks in Burnt Orange mixed in--I think at the stadium it was harder to notice the orange mixed in with what was still a majority Crimson. Texas was well represented. And we were probably outdone in the noise department, up until the first Shipley touchdown, when things got loud; after the second TD and two-point conversion it was INCREDIBLY loud, and you could tell the BAma fans knew we were going to win....damn fumble!

16. Thunderlips

Thunderlips 25+ Posts

There were more Texas fans in the stadium than Bama fans, but not by much. You could definitely see the burn orange sprinkled throughout the Bama side. Not so much with the red on the Horn side.

17. seb44

seb44 250+ Posts

Based on the pom pom's that were waved every time Bama scored I say it was 55/45 bama.
    I still would like to know how they got all the tickets from Roughly Section 10 all the way around to Section 24.
    If 40,000 tickets were givern to the schools how did the other 55,000 tickets end up getting distributed.

18. DVPMD

DVPMD 500+ Posts

19. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

The fireworks thing is even more fun in something like the Superdome.

20. drewbleedsorange

drewbleedsorange 100+ Posts

I live in Tuscaloosa (I know...I know) and had many co-workers go to the game. They all commented on how much burnt orange was around LA all week and couldn't believe how many fans we had at the game. They all thought there were more Texas fans at the game. And one impartial California co-worker that went to the game with his boss from AL and a customer from Austin, who attended a tailgate party from each school, said the Texas tailgate blew the doors off of the Bama one.

21. texas0range

texas0range 25+ Posts

there were WAAAY more bama fans outside of the stadium just hanging out. especially at the espn tailgate party. i swung by the texas exes tailgate and was happy to see that ours looked twice as big as their alumni tailgate.

but i'd go with 55/45 more bama inside the stadium [​IMG]

22. HornInWville

HornInWville 25+ Posts

I was very surprised and very disappointed in the talent that Bama brought. I rarely saw anything that was above a 5.

It's good to be in Texas.

23. Aragorn

Aragorn 250+ Posts

There were a lot more Texas fans on the Bama side than there were Bama fans on our side. There were definitely more Texas fans inside. I'd put it at a little under 60/40.

24. AlamoHeightsHorn

55/45 Bama inside the Rose Bowl.

Lot's more Bama folks outside the stadium milling around that never got into the game.

25. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

I agree with Thunderlips that there were more Texas fans in the Bama sections than vice versa. I couldn't tell that while in the stadium, but it was obvious on tv. The stadium was evenly split from SW to NE with an odd s-curve on the dividing line (my guess is to keep the endzones from being all one fan base... so why not just divide it right down the middle of the ez?).

I spent more time on Colorado street before the game, and I saw at least as many Bama talent as Texas talent, maybe more. The 3 Bama girls in our section were the best within leering distance.

Our fans need to lose weight. I'll start. Someone needs to lead the charge from the Bama side, too. People were much slimmer in the 80's when I was in school.

26. AlamoHeightsHorn

the pom-poms is what gave away the bama people in the UT sections and at the dividing lines.