Texas @ Baylor 01/22/2023

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by brnkj, Jan 21, 2023.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Well, let's see which Longhorns team shows up. If I'm being completely honest... the lack of consistent focus, intensity, and toughness has caused me to lose quite a bit of interest in this season. They're still MY TEAM but I don't have a whole lot of expectations at this point. The wins against KU and ISU sandwiched between piss-poor efforts in Stillwater and Lubbock was a huge disappointment.

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  2. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

After the Tech and OSU debacles, I don’t trust this team to show up for Baylor. Baylor is better than both those teams and it will be a packed house on a Sunday afternoon - similar to Texas-ISU last week.
    This is when Vic needs to prove - again - he’s one of the best in the business.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  3. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Baylor lost to WV and Ok St so they are beatable. It looks like they’re trying to work Blackwell back in the rotation after injury so she might make a difference I don’t know haven’t watched their games.

I think Texas will show up but that doesn’t guarantee a win against a good Baylor team. Would sure love a W in Waco though

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Yep, I've toned down my expectations, also. It's just too much stress hoping for better results and being let down. I'm trying to be more of a basketball spectator rather than a Longhorns lover...perhaps that will lower my alcohol consumption during games.;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

If we show up and play like we're capable... we win. If we don't, we won't. Hard to know which will happen with this bunch.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Interesting that Okie light beat them at home. They lost to Wva on the road. But they don't get up for those teams. I watched Nicki's presser on Youtube and the local press kept trying to drive into Nicki and the 2 players present (Bickel and Owens) how important it was to beat Texas. They all said they were well aware of that and really wanted the fans to turn out. Even the damn local media hacks have it out for us.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

If the fouls aren’t lopsided, we win. If fewer of their shots go in, we win. If we score more points we win. I’m pretty confident about two of those three. :smokin:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Harmon’s charge late in 2nd…not a charge

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

We just don’t look very good right now. Vic says it’s the defense and yes our defense on the road is not very good but I’m more concerned with our offense. We have silly turnovers, awful shots, careless passes, and we can’t finish 2nd chance points. We look a bit lost at times running this offense. I don’t know I just hope it gets fixed because right now it’s not very good.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Awful officiating. Bickle got away with 2 walks. Our whole team needs to practice passing to the post. Outside shooting - are we even practicing? But somehow, despite all of that, we are ahead at the half. That is important because we are 0 - 6 this season in games we don't lead at halftime.

11. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

We need a pick-me-up with some perimeter buckets from Morris and Gonzales. The fumbles inside should be enough for the team to make offensive changes in the second half. Certainly, Vic is not going to keep calling the same thing that is NOT WORKING!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

We are 0 for ? From 3

Awful shooting

13. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

We looked awful, but so did they. Our failure to get back time after time is puzzling. Burned once or twice, it seems like that would top of their minds. Does Vic not coach this? Not getting back has been a problem in several games.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Seeing a lot of instances where Texas is being out hustled today.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Refs doing a great job of keeping home team in this game. Shaylee with an awesome response to take the momentum back at the end of the 3rd!

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

lol I haven’t seen a player shake the opposing coaches hand in the college game at all. I thought they only did that in high school but respect to Taylor Jones for the sportsmanship :e-face-tears:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  17. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I’d sacrifice the W to not have Rori injured

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. UrsusArctos

UrsusArctos 100+ Posts

She was in the handshake line which I took to be a great sign.

• Like Like x 6
  19. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

This team looked so much better the second half. However, too many fouls kept me on the edge of my sofa and looking for a refill.o_O

• Agree Agree x 6
  20. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I haven't seen the game yet...what happened to Rori knee? Is it serious?

21. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

From my angle, it looked like she took a hit in the you-know-what. If so, its painful, but she should be okay.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Sure looked like Rori injured her knee. Still limping after the game it appeared. We probably won’t know until Wednesday

23. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

That’s what I thought also.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. UrsusArctos

UrsusArctos 100+ Posts

I'm gonna take your word on that. :shrug:

• Funny Funny x 2
  25. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Great win, shot well from 2 pt but not from 3 pt.

Wish they could improve 3 pt shooting.

Harmon was limping off the court post gane

26. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Yeah seems like if it were knee there would atleast be ice wrapped around it...

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. UTSUgrad

UTSUgrad 250+ Posts

OU runs and runs and runs ... I'm expecting them to throw full court passes, just as Tech did, just as Baylor did early in the game. Word's out, apparently, that we can't get our butts down the court after a missed shot and a lost offensive rebound. We seem to be tired, not much energy in the past two games. At least we perked up in the third quarter. Hoping for a big, loud crowd on Wednesday. And a well Rori. :hookem:
    (Don't post much, but enjoy everyone's observations.)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  28. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Check out online videos of Kelsey Plum or Diamond Deshields. Pretty painful stuff. I don't think Rori got a knee, looked like a foot to me. Anyway, I'm hoping that is all it was. I think if it was a knee, she'd have been carried off.

• Like Like x 1
  29. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Rori walked the handshake line. They didn’t ice or wrap anything. I think she was in pain but not injured. Pretty sure she’ll be back on the court tomorrow. That was my take anyway.

By the way, if you watch the repeated slow motion replays, you’ll see one of the many fouls not called against Baylor… unless yanking someone’s arm until they fall isn’t a foul. :angry:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  30. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Looked like she was holding the upper thigh/groin area. But she refused to leave the floor, watched intently while the rest of the game was being played (i.e. was more interested in the team than her own condition), and then wanted to go through the handshake line. So I take that as a good sign. Last year, when she slammed her head on the court about as hard as you can do it, I thought she'd be in concussion protocol. Instead, she was just kind of joking about it after the game. Really tough PG we've got. Wish she could get more breathers during the game though because she goes hard the whole time she's on the floor.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1