Texas @ Baylor 01/22/2023

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by brnkj, Jan 21, 2023.

1. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Good observation. Vic really needs to work on this. Deyona said on the post-game radio show that Vic made adjustments during the game and told them to stop collapsing 3 to rebound, and to send an extra person up the floor.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

I have a real question. Can you still use your goofy slogan "Greater Than" when you lose at home to your biggest rival by 13? Isn't 68 "Greater Than" 55?

• Like Like x 6
  3. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Yep, I think the last few minutes showed that Texas could rest Rori a minute here and there by going back to Shaylee at point. Shaylee is more comfortable now, I think she can handle it. I personally think that Rori has really looked exhausted at times which has contributed to sloppy passes and turnovers.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Can you expound on the plum reference.

i do not have access to a video

5. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Once again, atrocious dribbling and passing within the paint. Having our experienced guards pass the ball to the other team is just....jaw dropping. And Gaston...sigh girl. Never dribble or try to pass in the paint. Just shoot!

19 turnovers. Leading with 5 each: DeYonna and Rori

I think Vic having to play Rori almost 40 minutes is starting to add up with poor ball handling and bad decisions.

BUT, beating Baylor at home in double-digits? Yes, please and thank you!

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

What did Vic say Bout Harmon in post game

7. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

I really don’t like how Vic is seemingly chewing on Shaylee so much. She’s doing her best and needs encouragement, not a butt chewing at every time out.

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

I can't watch this enough. And the coolest thing is if you look closely, the person who is the most fired up about it is Sydney Carter:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

In case you ever wondered whether the team loves Vic (and yes - not gonna lie - I may have once in awhile).

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Glad to get the win especially on the road. I don't get all these stupid unforced turnovers still at this point in the season.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

That was weird. Shaylee is a very hard worker. He looked so angry, like he might blow a gasket, even though there was only a minute or so left and we were obviously going to win.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. seanzozo

seanzozo 25+ Posts

At that point, Rori was out. Vic doesn’t know what the level of her injury is. He has no idea whether Shaylee will be starting point guard for future games. This is game time he can either use to coach her up or time he could waste. If she didn’t do what he instructed her to do, he’s going to let her know.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. STHAustin

STHAustin 250+ Posts

I heard the post-game on the radio. Vic couldn't say anything for sure about Rori, just that she would be evaluated. But, if they were concerned about a serious injury I think Vic would have been choked up during the interview. He's a pretty emotional guy and is particularly fond of Rori. He did say that it scared the hell out of her--and him too.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. seanzozo

seanzozo 25+ Posts

The thing that makes me happiest about this: we beat Baylor and—unlike Tech—our players didn’t treat it like our Super Bowl, and neither did our fans. We’re all pleased, but know there’s much more significant goals for this team.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 4
  15. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

He was mad that she didn't know how much time was left on the shot clock and was just dribbling it around without looking for someone to pass it to. Yes, he was chewing on her but of all the transfers that have come in she's the one whose defense has seen a marked improvement from day one to now.

I hate to use the phrase, but you don't see the "bad body language" when it comes to her and Vic. I have to think he's just as rough on her and the others at practice and being chewed on during the end of a game we're going to win is nothing shocking to her. She is being "coached up" by his questioning her decisions even late in the game. If he just said, "Oh, we've this in the bag. I'll just talk to her later about it", I think that is not Vic's style of coaching.

• Agree Agree x 8
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  16. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

How was Harmon injured?

17. texfiter

texfiter 100+ Posts

That interview with Didi Richards went on way too long.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Collision on a drive in the paint with a couple BU players and she ended up at the bottom of the heap

19. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Just be glad Griner wasn't there. We woulda had to watch the whole game on split screen and listen to those 2 idiots talk about what a great hero she is.

And why do we have to watch those 2 idiots on split screen when the game is on at all??

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. chuckhorn

chuckhorn 25+ Posts

Anyone watch Coach Nicki's presser. Was it me or she didn't seem to happy with Vic's comparison of Gaston and Smith??

21. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Who gives a &%#$ what Nicki thinks.

And I would add, given the talent Baylor has and their performance this season I would say she's not a very good coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Agreed. We were SUPPOSED to beat Baylor so I don't see it as a big deal at all. They're not a very good team anymore... we should've beaten them by twice as much, but the unforced turnovers kept the game closer than it should have been.

• Agree Agree x 4
  23. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

I would have loved to see and hear from Brittney. Hopefully they’ll interview her soon.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Agreed! Although they don't have much inside their guards are PLENTY experienced in Collen's system, so she may want to focus on why they're turning the ball over the way they are.

25. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I muted those dumb - ahem - ladies after the first minute or so.

Hey, ESPN! How about having your game announcers CALL THE DAMNED GAME!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Speaking of Collen, at the very beginning of the game (right before tipoff), the TV cameras showed her skipping and fist-bumping several folks at the scorer's table. What was that about?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  27. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

Did anyone notice the sweet behind the back pass from Morris to Shay at the 1:40 mark of 4th quarter? Morris was stuck in the lane with the ball and the behind the back pass was the best option for her position. It was not her being flashy.

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 2
  28. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

And it was a really good pass and if only Shay had hit that shot would have been a great assist

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  29. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

Wow! That would have been spectacular, wouldn't it!

• Agree Agree x 3
  30. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

The split screens, the interview with Richards rather than calling the game, Richards using that opportunity to pitch sponsors… the whole damn thing was an embarrassment for ESPN. Who did they think was tuning in? It was Baylor and Texas fans wanting to watch the game… and it was still a very close game during all that crap. SMH :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 9