Texas @ Baylor 02/04/22

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by loyallonghorn, Jan 31, 2022.

1. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Thank goodness our best offensive player is watching the game from the bench. She has a good view

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Layups, free throws, layups, and more free throws. If Texas can make the easiest shots in the game we are up by 10+ they aren’t even contested they are literally wide open layups.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

some of vic’s substitutions really make me scratch my head

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Every single loss we have had this season besides Tennessee. Vic has played a big part in that. I’m not bashing him but his coaching definitely seems a bit different than years past particularly when it comes to substitutions. Matharu needs to play 35+ minutes every game instead of Joanne at this point in the season. She is undisciplined on defense which is why she fouls so much but that’s Vic’s job to correct it!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Matharu couldn’t spend 35 minutes on the court if her life depended on it unless they give her about 8 fouls instead of 5. Vic tried his best to protect her tonight

btw Matharu had two offensive fouls I can’t blame Vic for those they were both unnecessary

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

We've been awful a lot lately. Talk about how young we are..blah, blah..then rewind. In another forum, I stated that I would settle for a 5-5 split to end the season. At this rate, I'm not so sure, especially when Coach Vic keeps admitting the gals are doing what they want and not running the plays he calls. Something is wrong here.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

And, that is on Martharu. We're 20 games into the season and she's still making defensive mistakes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Well, they get another crack at em in about 42 hours

• Like Like x 1
  9. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Vic your team can't seem to do three of the most fundamental and easy things:
    *Make layups
    *Make free throws
    *Take care of the ball

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  10. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Well, one positive stat...we out rebounded them! But, we're still just shooting in the 36 percentage range. Can't go very far on that. Coach Vic does know how to coach offense, right?

11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Yep. And, Vic acknowledged that Warren coming off the bench was working so well; a 2 point loss at OU was not the reason to change that.

Honestly, Vic did not give us a chance to win this game based on his gameplan and strategy. If he's stubborn (like so many old-school coaches are), he's gonna do the same thing on Sunday afternoon. :mad:

Unless there was some sort of disciplinary action or point he was trying to make directly to Matharu, sitting her the entire first quarter, and the first 3 minutes of the second quarter was just a recipe for disaster. I mean, really; did he actually think we could win the game doing that?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • poop poop x 1
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
  12. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

I’m wondering myself because he leaves non factors offensively on the floor a lot. We look confused most of the time. Our half court sets look so predictable. He doesn’t put the shooters out there to spread the floor. The three seniors I have spoken of started and we got in a huge hole right away. Defense is great to have, but you have to put pressure on the other team with your offense as well. Right now, we are pretty bad.... Starting Audrey and Ebo was a mistake IMO. We have to start Matharu to get at least some offensive flow..... Once again, the three seniors look a mess...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  13. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I vote for the youth movement.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I know a few weeks I brought up that hard hedge play which we run defensively with Ebo trying to disrupt the ball handler; I talked about how nothing good really comes of that play; most of the time, Lauren gets called for a foul as she is not quick enough to stay with that guard (as if we didn't know that), and we can't afford for her to pick up a foul that far away from the basket.

On tonight's first play of the game, Baylor exposed that stupid hard hedge by having the player Ebo was supposed to be guarding, NaLyssa Smith, break for the basket; end result, an alley-oop. I HATE THAT HARD HEDGE

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  15. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Yet he CONTINUES to do it. SMH.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

As far as Matharu picking up fouls, you (and your coach) have to understand how the officials are calling the game; it's going to be different every game.

A lot of our guards are picking up fouls early in the game because they are simply too close to the player they are guarding; most of the time that is way away from the basket. I think Matharu was guilty of that again tonight, and that's how she picked up her first two fouls. I can live with her picking up the 2 offensive fouls driving to the basket, but after the first one, you have to make better decisions after that.

Vic is gonna have to learn to pull back his defensive intensity so early in the game; it's just not worth it. It forces the officials to blow their whistle, and most crews are just not gonna allow that physical style of defense on the perimeter.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  17. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

This is our board and I will not critcize players cause as we found out when Jhenna retired, players do read this stuff sometimes. We did not play well tonight. Just seemed like we were down by 10 mentally before the game started. I thought the defense was good enough tonight but the offense was just terrible. I just couldnt figure out what the offensive plan was.
    That being said everyone gets a do-ova Sunday. I know we can be better than we were tonight. We just need to execute a plan.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Obviously, Vic is having a hard time trusting the majority the players on his team; that's a big problem. I understand the players have to earn that trust in practice, and then validate that trust in the actual games.

Vic trusts his 3 seniors. I get that. But, he has to recognize when they are struggling. I'm not gonna go back and check the stats from every game, but it seems like at least 2 of the 3 struggle offensively more often than not; it's hard to win games when the players you play the most minutes can't put the ball in the basket.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  19. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Right. I believe he has more div 1 wins than posters on this board combined.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

He also has more wins than the two head coaches who outcoached him the last 6 days. Tonight, he did NOT put his players in a position to win this game, and it started before the first tip.

No head coach is above reproach; he makes mistakes, just like the players do. He is accountable for what he puts out on the court game in and game out. The question is, can he learn from his mistakes before this season ends?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  21. Sincerely hookem

Sincerely hookem 100+ Posts

This one is was a tough one to watch. Vic didn’t get out coaches per say as much as he got out chess matched tonight. Also, we couldn’t make any layups and we haven’t been making any free throws. I hope the refs from tonight don’t ref Sunday cause NCAA WBB refs are getting worse and worse by the year. Some the blatant miscalls and phantom calls was just out of pocket. I don’t agree with players mouthing at refs but I can relate to Egbo. Idk if Vic told them nobody but Mathaur shoot but it looked like it. Harmon, Warren, nobody would shoot the open rythmn 3s. I also didn’t like that the one time Hunter did it early in the shot clock he ripped her out and nobody else was attempting score so idk about Sunday. Latttamore did some good things in trash minutes and so did Moore. I see why Gatson is in the doghouse she looked stunned and lost tonight film ain’t gonna lie

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

This too shall pass :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Either Vic got outcoached by Cullen, or he outcoached himself, and not in a good way. It's one or the other.

The officials did not impact the result of the game; Vic's starting lineup and management of players' minutes and fouls did.

• Agree Agree x 6
  24. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

Same ole story year after year. BU has our number for the foreseeable future. Goestenkors, Aston and now Vic… still cannot figure out how to beat Baylor, even with their new coach. Just a shame we’re the doormat for Baylor. :whiteflag:

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

But not the posters!Yes, Vic should not have missed all those easy layups they were in a position to make, and does he ever practice free throws?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  26. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Right on cue :rolleyes1:

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  27. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Free throw shooting has been a problem all season. Vic might not practice shooting free throws himself, but he and his staff are the one who teach free throw shooting in practice; it's not working.

I hate missed layups, too. Especially uncontested layups. Not sure who is teaching angles and positioning under the basket, but that has to get fixed. If it's not Vic, then it's possibly the new assistant coaches he hired this offseason.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I agree with this post. I feel like I'm always defending Hunter, but I was shocked when Vic didn't waste one second getting her out of the game when she took that three, like he was really pissed at her. Good lord, the shot clock was pretty far down, she is a pretty good 3 point shooter, and we needed some points badly. His offensive scheme certainly wasn't working that well. Why was he so pissed? I was impressed with Moore. She started out really well, then sat on the bench for very long stretches. She is getting creative in getting a shot off against trees, like Egbo. She has some real upside. Let's see more of it.

I agree with everything Mooooo has posted tonight. Vic is not beyond reproach and his weaknesses were apparent tonight. Old school and stubborn seem like very apt descriptions. I do like a lot of things about him, but his emphasis on one certain type of defense is frustrating. It seems to be his calling card and he is not about to change it for anyone. To me, the press is often ridiculous. I don't remember us getting one steal off of it tonight. But I do remember our defense not being very set because we'e expended energy and focus on the press. The press can be very impressive, mainly against less athletic teams, but that certainly doesn't apply to Baylor. The extreme close guarding in the back court is sometimes effective and sometimes not. It opens us up to a lot of backdoors and open drives to the basket.

JAT is a very hard worker and sometimes has great games, but why does she play almost the entire game every night? Andrea Loyd says she is "the emotional leader", whatever that means. She hasn't really shot very well this season on the whole. Hopefully she will find her groove more. So many of her shots are short, bouncing of the front of the rim.

• Agree Agree x 7
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I would love to see Kyndall Hunter play more. But, late in the game at OU, she took a 3 point shot with a lot of time remaining on the shot clock, and the TV camera showed Vic's frustration.

Tonight, she did the same thing; there were 43 seconds left in the 3rd quarter; Kyndall takes a 3-point shot with 14 seconds remaining on the shot clock (29 seconds left on the game clock). Taking that shot that early gave Baylor almost a full 30 second shot clock to set up their offense and take the last shot of the quarter; so, I don't blame him for pulling Hunter with 2 seconds left in the 3rd quarter after Warren fouled Andrews.

If the players are being taught shot selection and shot clock management in practice, and Kyndall isn't executing that during the games, Vic is gonna pull her. You can set your "clock" by it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

The team needs fans on Sunday. I will be there. Baylor fan numbers are down this year but they may still bring a fair number on Sunday.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1