Texas - Baylor game February 29 Waco

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by monopoly4horns, Feb 21, 2016.

1. monopoly4horns

monopoly4horns < 25 Posts

I am interested in going to the game against Baylor on Monday, 2/29/16.

Does anyone have any information about attending the away game at Baylor?? I know how to find their Baylor Athletics site and I can see how to buy tickets there but I wonder if there is any other information about attending the game that might be helpful as a Longhorn fan.

:bevo::hookem::bevo::hookem::bevo::hookem:

2. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I went once. I explained to the Wackos in the Waco box office that I wanted to buy two tickets but only if it was behind the visiting team's bench or in the designated visitors section if there was one. I called a few weeks in advance by the way... Explained repeatedly that I did not want a ticket if I could not have that. They told me no problem. Got there and found my seats as far from the visitor bench as you can get and nowhere near another burnt orange shirt. Surrounded by Bear fans.

Now, in case you don't already know this, they are the rudest fans you will ever meet and they hate UT. They yelled at us and boo'd us when we cheered for the Horns. My daughter was in tears by the time we left. No exaggerating at all.

Never again. Not unless I can buy my tickets through UT with assurity on where I am sitting.

Truly feared for my life walking back to my car. Not kidding.

Call the UT foundation office and see if there are tickets near other UT fans. And if there are, let me know cause I would buy some too!

Maybe someone on here has a better idea or maybe a similar experience?

3. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

Same experience. Horrible place to go. Has been for years. It is worse at the men's games, but not much.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Ok, here's the deal..Mulkey has always made it a POINT to keep Texas fans on the opposite side of the court from our bench, and as high up in the nosebleeds as possible. A long time ago, Conradt was asked to do the same to Baylor fans in the FEC..she refused, saying that's NOT how Texas treats opponent's fans..Baylor has no class, no heart, and I pray on a daily basis that we kick their A**Es someday soon!

• Like Like x 2
  5. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Mulkey is a terrible person...

6. yelladawgdem

During the Pender's BWM years, his wife afterwards said she had never seen anything like it and compared it to a "verbal rape". As I recall Jody (a BU Alum) spoke up about it as well.

Remember there are the same people that have given us Darrell Johnosn, Dave Bliss, Dary Stone, and Ken Starr.

7. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Only fan base at the women's conference tournament that boos the players when the starting lineups are announced. Classy bunch....

8. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

And there was a thread why we can't be as tough winners as Baylor?

It's literally, the deal with the Devil.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Disappointed to learn that our men's hoops team hosts Kansas the exact same time the women tip off in Waco . . . :-(

10. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I hadn't put that together just yet even though both already set up on my DVR. Unfortunate to say the least

11. Bear Down

Bear Down First Time Poster

Ok, I want to first say that I come here in peace. I was sorry to hear about the bad experiences in Waco. As you have seen (and sadly, heard) in some instances, our fans can be intense. We get a greater attendance at women's games than men's games (how many schools can make that statement?). I sit with a group that is more tame and has been there during the lean years.

The game next Monday should be a special one. Both teams are loaded this year and will rivals for years to come.

As for Mulkey, I understand your criticism. She is quite vocal and sometimes her mouth causes us all to cringe. Would we trade her for any coach in the country? Absolutely not. She has taken two freshman posts this year and has made them stars. I listen to her coach (because I sit behind the bench) and it is impressive. Karen can even attest to her coaching skills.

For those coming to Waco, I hope your trip is better than past visits. I am sure both teams, coaches, and fans will be intense.

• Like Like x 2
  12. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Glad to have you visiting/posting.

But "intense" is not exactly the behavior being described of BU fans, at least some of them. Nor is "rowdy." Being verbally abusive of opposing fans goes well beyond "intense."

As for Mulkey, while I don't care for her behavior, which her players seem to pick up on and reflect on the court, I don't question her ability to coach and recruit. Like it or not, she has proven to be the best coach in the Big 12.

I can't wait for the game in Waco. It should be worthy of the buildup and, hopefully, we will return the favor of winning on your court as BU did on ours.

• Like Like x 5
  13. yelladawgdem

What Bab said. Big difference between "intense", "rowdy" and reality. While watching the BU-OU game Monday night, I found myself rooting for the Attack Poodle's team. ABB (Anyone But Baylor).

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 1
  14. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Yea, "intense" is a bit mild although I do appreciate there are a few good fans like Bear Down. Whiny, rude and vulgar are just a few descriptions that come to mind. They should be very embarrassed at their lack of sportsmanship.

But then when your head coach trash talks opposing players DURING the game as well as after, the bar doesn't get any lower. Plus, they never gave a second thought to being on probation for two years. I wouldn't want her on my sideline no matter how good her X's & O's are because there's more to sport than that.

15. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Let us be cautious of becoming the type of fans we're complaining about. We don't like her style but can appreciate and respect her results. Let's keep it classy and leave it there?

16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Let's be realistic in that every fan base (even Texas) has some fans who don't represent themselves (or their school) very well at sporting events. Luckily, not everyone is going to endure that same behavior as it's sort of just rolling the dice. A Colorado Buffalo fan once told me at a football game in Boulder that he hated it when I clapped for my team after every play; his young son was with him.

17. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I'm not quite sure I respect her actually. She gets good results, but I'm not convinced her methods are respectable or admirable to fully appreciate them. She put herself on a pedestal with Geno & Pat while slamming our coach if you remember. Mulkey will never have that respectability.

And what is classless about stating facts?

• Like Like x 3
  18. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Mulkey slammed Jody Conradt? I'm not familiar with that incident. Can you elaborate?

19. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Not sure she put herself ON the pedestal with Pat when she took the swipe at Karen by saying "Pat Summit and Leon Barmore taught me, because that's true they did. And I have actually been watching a lot of Pat Summit highlights lately and she surprisingly acts more like Kim that I ever remembered. Maybe I just missed it because I genuinely liked her as a person.

As far as appreciating her results, I will say that I can appreciate having your team prepared to win every time they take the court. Her methods I could probably do without, but I can appreciate the mentality and edge she always seems to create for them

20. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

I think this is a bit overly dramatic. I've been to many games there wearing burnt orange, cheering for the Horns. Their fans are no better or no worse than other fans. Maybe I just could care less if they boo me. And if someone wants engage me in a war of words, good luck to them. We'll be there Monday. Not a fan of Mulkey's but I respect her. She and her program are the gold standard. So I hope we kick their *** so she has a post-game tantrum.

• Like Like x 1
  21. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Not overly dramatic. My daughter was left in tears because fans went out of the way to loudly boo us down when we cheered for Texas. They waved the upside down horns at us and told us they hoped we didn't get into a nasty accident in our drive back to Austin. I have attended hundreds of WBB games including many, many that were non-UT. I have never experienced such rudeness... Not even in College Station and THAT is saying something.

I have no respect whatsoever for a coach that does what Kim did in the above video. In my experience Bear Down is the exception not the rule.

Does anyone know if there is a section with other UT fans at the game? I hate that the girls won't have more fan support considering the proximity. But I will not subject myself to being in an island of mean green people again.

22. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

If you're that concerned you should watch it on TV. It's not like going to Fayetteville for a night football game against the piggies. It's Baylor for God's sake. Average fan age = 67. Too Baptist to drop and F and of course they don't drink. I'd be more afraid of the Cruz for President t- shirts you may encounter.

• Like Like x 1
  23. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Love the Cruz comment.

I plan to watch on TV. But I hate that I don't want to be there. Fan support is important. I regret now that my comments might deter other fans from going.
    :whiteflag:

24. BevoBeef

BevoBeef 250+ Posts

The general rule about classifying people into certain groups is that there are always exceptions to the rule. However, a few years ago Bleacherreport.com had an article that stipulated that there are actually 16 types of sports fans. Being a long-time Hornfans reader and someone who has sat next to the Baylor fan section at a WBB game, I went through the descriptions and tried to figure out in which group fit my conception of a generic Baylor fan and a typical UT fan.

My best guess is that the Baylor fan is "The Belushi" fan -- he is a heckler, not a fighter, and you’ll find him in the cheap seats. The generic UT fan is "The Teacher" -- he is (more or less) knowledgeable and seasoned sports fan who loves nothing more than explaining the game. I guess he is the one you see in the cafeteria at a table with a friend always drinking tea. You will have to remember that this classification is from a UT grad whose brother was an Aggie. My brother is "The Uncle Rico" fan.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  25. BrewComLey

BrewComLey < 25 Posts

FYI - I received a call around noon today from someone claiming they were calling from the foundation. He said they were trying to get enough people to take a bus to the Baylor game Monday night. I cannot go Monday night but assuming this was a legit call I thought some of you may be interested in following up on this.

26. "Anna hook em"

"Anna hook em" 250+ Posts

Join the #Longhorns in Waco on Monday. $25 for bus ride and game ticket. Call 512.232.4422 for more details. Seats are limited.

dont know if its allowed if not i will delete it.

27. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not a bad price at all. Unfortunately, I am working too late to take advantage of that. Definitely watching on TV though.

28. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

29. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

30. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts