Texas - Baylor game February 29 Waco

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by monopoly4horns, Feb 21, 2016.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I watched Geno build his first final four team... Hands down the least-athletic I've ever seen in a final four. The recruits that followed were a result of what he built with nothing. The man is a phenomenal coach. If you want to judge whether or not someone can REALLY coach the game, look at those who have had good results with far less talent. In the Big 12 Fennelly, Coale, and Mittie. Patterson was another one and all had better fear Pebbley (TCU) and Whitaker (Tech) if they ever get a top recruit or two.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers, bobcat. Every single time I mention Mulkey, I preface it by saying how much I despise many of her antics, her behaviors, and her personality. BUT, I still believe that she is the best coach in women's basketball. IF she had had the talents that Geno gets, Gawd knows how many national championships she'd already have. She's been a head coach at Baylor for 15 years.....after just 1 year at Baylor, she took a program in exceedingly poor shape, and she's yet to miss the post-season since! And, in 5 years in a row, she's won 30 or more games (7 times, total, since she's been running Baylor's program). And 2 National Championships...and an .837 winning percentage.
    I almost hate it that she's so successful, given her "nature." But it is what it is! She's really starting to pull in great talent, so she must be much easier to deal with from a coach-player standpoint, or they'd not sign with Baylor.

Geno's a great, great, great coach....but he's had far more talent over the long-haul. I love to watch his teams play! Always a pleasure, with great offensive and defensive schemes. But when you've got player after player who were All-Americans, National Players of the Year, etc., it would be hard NOT to have the team looking great. And he sure is easy to put up with compared to Mulkey. fyi: Geno coached 4 years before UCONN even made the NCAA's...and it took him 10 years to win his first National Championship.

As for Lil Miss Muffet, I just can't put someone with that first name in the conversation...lol....
    She's coached 27 years.....739 winning percentage..... only 1 national title in 27 years (thank Gawd they played Purdue or she wouldn't have a national championship). And she, too, has had a real "talent pool," just because it's Notre Dame.

3. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

No ruffling of feathers here....takes alot more than that to ruffle my feathers!!!!! Just pointing out that no one on here agrees with your assumption that Mulkey is the best coach in womens' basketball. Just a difference of opinion.

4. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Glad to hear that...I've always enjoyed reading your posts. Don't mind a difference of opinion.
    Remember when Sherri Cole had the Paris twins and everybody on this site was saying she was the worst thing to ever hit the conference.....?.......then Mulkey arrived, and now she's the worst thing...funny how times change.

• Like Like x 1
  5. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Watching girls state tourney....
    Kim can recruit....
    Girl from LaVega named Landrum...A beast...Drives, dishes, and shoots the three like a boss from NBA range..... going to Baylor. They will have those bigs inside and this girl outside....Not beating them any time soon.

6. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

I do remember that, but you NEVER saw me say that about Sherri Coale. She may cry a bit on the sidelines, but I have two clients who know her personally, and both say that she is an outstanding and respectful person. Other than a few tirades on the sidelines, Sherri Coale is a class act all the way around. Mulkey......well that's a different story!!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I've always been a S. Coales fan. Class act for sure.

• Like Like x 2
  8. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Sherri's a nice person...and a good coach. But for a few years on this site, people were ripping her to shreds. Everything was questioned, including her antics on the sidelines to her hairdo. Funny! Some were even questioning her wardrobe...saying she was attracting attention from the refs by not buttoning her blouse high enough...too funny. Now everyone seems to have decided she's okay. I've, also, heard Jody sing her praises, so that's a big plus!

I know 2 people who know Mulkey, personally. They say she's a respectful person. Of course, those 2 people sell voodoo dolls and snake oil for a living....(wink,wink).....

• Like Like x 2
  9. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I fail to see why this would be harder than the usual righty on righty matchups.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

It's all in the "mechanics." A lefty guarding a lefty has to maneuver her/his arms and body on a left shooter....often times leaving a direct angle for lefty shooter to the basket....or driving into the lane. It's a coach's worst nightmare, especially outside the paint.....and is something, defensively, you want to avoid as much as possible.
    (That's why a lefty is at a premium in basketball, baseball, tennis,volleyball, etc.) Virtually 90% of the time, you've been guarding right-handed people.....only 10% of the time have you guarded left-handed shooters.
    A right-handed shooter vs a right-handed defender involves more "natural" body motions.
    A perfect defensive matchup is a righty guarding a lefty, if you're trying to keep the lefty from forming angles to the basket or simply shooting from outside the paint.
    If you're a left-handed shooter, you like nothing more than a matchup against another left-handed player, esp. if you have the ability to penetrate the lane or stop for a pull-up jump shot. If you're a left handed player guarding a left handed shooter, you can pick up more fouls due to reach-ins and awkward angled body motions.
    Most coaches, defensively, tend to avoid lefty on lefty if at all possible.

11. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I am going to disagree with this. There is nothing more "natural" when considering lefty movements vs righty movements. It's a simple matter of adjustment. And in a lefty vs a lefty, the movements are "natural" from both players. And that does not address why BU's lefty did not pick up fouls against our lefty.

At any rate, players have to adjust to tendencies of opponents. I fail to see why this would be different since you have two players with the same dominant hand facing off.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Perhaps "It ain't over yet"....wait and see....??

13. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Considering the player involved is about to graduate it is either about to end or about to blow wide open. Kim was awfully nice with her pre and post game comments this year.

• Like Like x 1