Texas-Boston College Game Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by GemStateJim, May 30, 2009.

1. 2farfromhome

2farfromhome 25+ Posts

I gotta admit that I was cussing players and calling names and questioning coaching the whole time, with the stress just eating me up inside. But now that it's all over, I'm thrilled that I didn't quit watching. That will never happen again. Both teams had pitching performances that were beyond what you will normally see in an entire.season. What a game! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Viking

Viking 25+ Posts

The team ERA dropped from 2.81 to 2.71 after this game (just saw this on ESPNU)

3. daytonhorn

daytonhorn 500+ Posts

I just finished reading the thread after watching a 7:03 game. I had to post to extend the record for longest thread.

Good Night & Hook'Em

BTW: Can you imagine if this had been the morning game at the Big-12 Tournament [​IMG]

4. sblazer

sblazer 500+ Posts

the amazing thing about Rupp was he had his 6th strikeout in about the 14th inning. lol

5. Touchdown_Texas

Touchdown_Texas 500+ Posts

Well guys, what an epic night!

So now we have been a part of arguably the most exhilarating ncaa baseball game & football game ever played. And I am greatful to have witnessed and to have been on the winning side of both. Hats off to BC for an incredible game on their part.

Now I just hope that we can take this win and ride it all the way to the CWS title...hook 'em Horns to all and to all a good night!

And Austin Wood you are my new hero. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. goosehorn

goosehorn 500+ Posts

Just to let y'all know, I suffered through every single bit of that game.

I am in Memphis, I am actually paying $5 to be on the computer right now... I hit the refresh button over 200 times to get updates on that game. unbelieveable. If it weren't for the updates, and thanks by the way to all that did it (especially GemStateJim) cuz I was miserable without them.

I think we are going to be just fine. We have the pitching to beat anyone out of the loser's bracket. I just hope it is BC, they have got to be as tired as we are, but they'll have played another game.

Anyways, thanks so much for making this game seem like I was right there. Instant classic!

[​IMG]

7. Zuerst

Zuerst 250+ Posts

EPIC!!! Indeed.

Glad I took the time off cramming for the board exam and watching this historic game.

[​IMG]

8. mugsy

mugsy < 25 Posts

25th inning picture
    [​IMG]

9. 4th

4th 250+ Posts

Boston College's team batting average was exactly .100 (8-80)
    It felt like the batting average for both of the teams needed an extra digit.

10. YeaTexasFight

YeaTexasFight 1,000+ Posts

check out this line score:

Score by Innings
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Texas Longhorns..... 020 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 1 - 3 20 3
    BC Eagles.............. 000 101 000 000 000 000 000 000 0 - 2 8 0

11. 40 ACRZ

40 ACRZ 100+ Posts

Just got home... ABSOLUTELY the most amazing pitching performances I've ever seen and the most energy I've ever seen out of players and fans alike. I can't beleive how many players battled through bad cramps and continued to play for so many more innings.

Hats off to a great battle by the BC team!

HOOK'EM and see y'all tomorrow at noon to watch Army play a likely-to-be-sleep-walking BC team!

12. 4th

4th 250+ Posts

13. YeaTexasFight

--NCAA all-division-record for longest game (by number of innings)
    --Length of game of 7 hours, 3 minutes
    --Featured 11 1/3 no-hit innings by Texas pitcher, Austin Wood.
    --Texas' 91 at-bats, 103 plate appearances, 115 total chances and 75 putouts set new NCAA records.
    --Texas and Boston College combined to set NCAA records with 42 strikeouts, 222 total chances, 69 assists, 192 plate appearances and 171 at-bats
    --1B Preston Clark's 33 putouts against the Eagles set a new NCAA record for most single-game putouts.
    --Texas' Travis Tucker and Michael Torres set the NCAA single-game record for at-bats with 12 apiece. (Travis Tucker was 2-12 for the game, leading off the game with a single in the top of the 1st inning and also recording the final hit of the game with a single in the top of the 25th that drove in the winning run)

14. orangeblack&gold

orangeblack&gold 500+ Posts

Congrats, Texas & BC on one of the most amazing games in the 150-year history of College Baseball. Loved to see Texas win and hated to see BC lose at the same time.

Warrriors on both sides.

15. YeaTexasFight

4th is right on the money. that was my thought from about the 15th inning on.

16. 4th

4th 250+ Posts

17. KatyKid

KatyKid 25+ Posts

Just woke up to read all of this after falling asleep in about the 15th inning. WOW. I knew I shouldn't have reclined!

18. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I was playing cards with friends, trying to keep up on the net via cell phone (which had a quickly dying battery), the ticker on ESPNU and updates from a friend near a radio. We could not get the web update or broadcast to work. Finally a person brought their alarm clock to the table area so we could listen.

I can only imagine what y'all here and at the game went through real time. Wowzers.

19. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

was watching here online but have early plane this morning so I gave myself a 1 a.m. (est) curfew - at beginning of 22nd - held my breath when I checked texassports.com this morning.

Congrats to Horns!!! Austin Wood with a performance for the ages and you will be telling your children about it.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

20. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

this may be most prolific quote of the day...from GemStateJim:

21. FEDEX

FEDEX 100+ Posts

HOOK EM HORNS!!! I knew digging my lucky pair of inderweat outta the hamper would do it! Wife called me crazy for putting them on but it worked baby because we won!!

22. NebLHAB

NebLHAB 500+ Posts

If anyone needs to lay blame, lay it here. Mrs and I wore our Hawian UT shirts for the first 15 or so innings. Caved and dug out the large-font HornFans T's we wore for the win Fri.

What can I say?

23. HornLivin

HornLivin 250+ Posts

One game I will never forget. Thanks to the Horns and BC for an instant classic. This thread is officially a classic as well. [​IMG]

24. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

25. 93ex

93ex 100+ Posts

What a game. Really is a shame either team had to lose. Followed the first 8 innings from my phone while having dinner with the family. Came home and followed the rest via the net and Hornfans. GemStateJim's updates were truly appreciated. Poor guy didn't know what he was getting himself in to.

[​IMG]

26. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Just want to add my comments in a classic.......Holy Cow!!!..... Austin Wood!!!! I know for a fact I'm getting a "Wood" jersey if they sell'em. In fact I don't think there is a word in the dictionary that could provide an upper echelon description for the performance, a new one needs to be created...........Woodsy? Woodtastic [​IMG] , help me out here, some of you guys are a heck of a lot more creative then me.

27. TexanWolv

TexanWolv 1,000+ Posts

28. Vince4Heisman

Vince4Heisman 250+ Posts

I did the same exact thing....woke up early and had to run through multiple pages on my phone to see if we won...so glad we did, losing that game would have been a killer. Congrats [​IMG]

29. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

30. GAS_Horn

GAS_Horn 100+ Posts

I was there! Congratulations to the players and coaches of both teams. BC played with heart and determination; unfortunately for the Eagles, Texas had Ruffin, Dicharry, and Wood. THAT was the difference. [​IMG]