Texas @ Cal

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Dionysus, Sep 17, 2016.

1. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

We are not a top 15 team but if we could tackle and communicate in the secondary AT ALL. We would be 3-0.

2. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

Texas is 0-12 under Charlie Strong when trailing at the half. Let that sink in. Wow! So much for halftime adjustments. This is one area where Mack excelled.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

It is hard to come back when you punt.

The out of state road loss record is also horrendous. We get another out of state game against Oklahoma State in two weeks.

4. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

A couple of observations:
    1.) after Shane was injured, Gilbert quit using the deep-ball threat (with 3 exceptions). Do you think it was solely because of the defense, or did Shane's injury keep Gilbert from using the deep threat after halftime?
    2.) Was the constant 18-Wheeler package in the 2nd half Gilbert's call or Charile demanding it?
    3 times in the 2nd half when Swoopes was brought in, we were called for penalties after we would have achieved first downs were it not for the penalties. Seems like it breaks up the timing of the offensive line all too often. Love having that extra "threat," but there's a correlation between the insertion of the 18-Wheeler package and penalties.....sad because 3 of those penalties cost us 1st downs and stopped drives. In fact, 2 of the penalties cost us 1st downs inside the 30 yard line.
    i have a feeling Shane got more beat up than any of us knew. He just didn't have the zip on the ball in the 2nd half, and the play-calling seemed to confirm that in the entire 2nd half.

5. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I guess I'm the only one who didn't mind the punt

6. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Inconsistency and pissing away the goodwill/momentum of prior wins has been a hallmark of the Horns under CS. Just when you start to believe again, he honks one.

7. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

Turning point of the game was the Swoopes INT. Without question. Too much QB shuttling. Stick with Shane.

8. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

With both defenses being absolutely horrible we had a much better shot at a 4th down against the Cal defense than stopping them. Our defense really gave up a TD, but our D is so bad that it made the Cal player so overconfident that he did not even finish scoring the TD.... unless that was the plan?

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  9. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Special teams are just as much a disaster as the defense. We tie the score kickoff and they get the damn kickoff almost to the 40. This happened all night long.

Look at starting field position after kickoffs for Cal and Texas. They probably averaged better than the 30. Do we NOT teach our coverage to stay in the damn lane they are responsible for.

• Like Like x 1
  10. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Did Elliott and vaccaro play tonight?

11. Phil Elliott

KV picked up the Cal fumble that was called back and returned to about their 40.

12. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

and then he was never seen or heard from again

13. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I hear you but the short field makes it easier than it was already and we had a chance to stop them buttttt ( always a but)

14. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

FWIW, when I got home from the sports bar my roommate, a former A&M student, said "Wow the refs bungled that completely, that should have been Texas' ball"

Charlie himself was supposedly a defensive coach, he can't put it all on the coordinator when he's a defense guy himself.

We were at least as likely, if not more likely, to convert that 4th down than we were to stop Cal. And even if they were only equally likely, converting 4th down gives us a VASTLY better situation.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Phil Elliott

That's the thing that is disheartening - I really don't think firing Bedford changes anything.

16. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

a
    he has said a few times he doesn't interfere but I think it might be time to break that rule

17. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Yes, well they were on the field during the game.

• Like Like x 2
  18. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

This^^^

19. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

You have a point, but, Charlie is not going anywhere. He must send a strong message to this team that he has ZERO tolerance for this kind of performance....no more mulligans! I've never been a 'knee jerk' fan, but I seriously think firing Bedford now sends a signal that CS is in total command and failure of this proportion = severe penalty = termination!! Fire away....

20. eastexhorn

eastexhorn 250+ Posts

If Herman was next coach I would let Strong go today.

• Like Like x 2
  21. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I like what Roach brings to the pass rush, but it isn't consistent yet. We just don't have a very good edge rush. It affects what we can do in the secondary. But why have we continued to be solid on run defense and not given the secondary more help?

And why do we pass so much when we can burn clock all day long with the run? when defense is your weakness, keep them off the field.

22. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

The were announcing down to the level of the defensive coaching.