Texas DT Chris Nelson out vs. West Virginia, Anthony Wheeler suspended for first series

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by moondog_LFZ, Nov 1, 2018.

1. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

2. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Maybe Coburn can get on the field and show something. I have been surprised that he hasn’t played. But losing Nelson isn’t good.

McCulloch for Wheeler doesn’t seem like much of a downgrade to me.

Does anyone else fell like the wheels are starting to fall off? Man I hope not.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

No

4. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

We are just needing the lug nuts tightened lately.

5. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Disagree. Wheeler is better IMO.

No Nelson is a serious blow....

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Matagorda

Matagorda 25+ Posts

Yea, we are losing focus. The faster the seniors are gone the better. Has Herman suspended one of his recruits yet?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

So if we win the toss and take the ball, technically that is the first series! Problem solved :smile1:

@Matagorda My first thoughts as well when I heard the news. Another Senior letting the team down before such an important game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Chris Nelson is a senior too.

9. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

If this happens, I will crap my pants. Herman always goes by the book, which is to defer. Last week was a perfect time to play offense first. This week, too. Defense is suffering, play offense first! Seems so simple!

10. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Just saying that I believe McCulloch can hold his own and he might also be faster. Let me add that some observers on another board identified two players in particular that were MIA last Saturday, Wheeler and Locke.

11. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Meh, deferring or not is a pretty meaningless choice.

12. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I think the comment was that last week, without our cornerbacks for “one quarter,” we would have done better to have had one fewer defensive possession in that quarter.

13. Mike the Texan

Mike the Texan 250+ Posts

Deferring is not meaningless when you consistently let the opposing team march down the field and score a touchdown. It seems like we spot everyone 7 points at the start of the game.

- Mike

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Yep. I think it was in the presser, but I heard someone mention this week that the opponents have scored on their first possession in 6 of our 8 games.

15. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

And if we go on offense first, produce a three and out and the opponent scores first, it's still 7-0.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

In the case of trying to minimize the impact of guys being suspended for a series, though, if it gives the opponent one less possession, may be a good idea to take the ball first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Ah, that's a very good point; in this particular case it probably would make a difference.

18. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I used to have the defer argument with my dad; he would use the logic of not “spotting” the other team a TD. After each team has one possession, it doesn’t matter how you got to 0-7, 7-0, 7-7—think how often this year after we go down 0-7 that we score on our first drive and tie the game. What’s the difference?

If anything, a score on the first drive after half is psychologically harder to counter and there is less time remaining.

I wonder whether the take-the-ball people are for taking the ball first in a college OT? Because it’s the same basic thing—rather have your scoring opportunities behind the other team’s , when you know what you need.

19. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Breaking news ...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

It's really funny to me when the TV or Radio production makes a big deal out of the extra possession way too soon before the stats can really even out all that much.

E.g. Team A gets the ball first, goes 3 & out. Team B also goes 3 & out. Team A then drives for a touchdown, and they'll put up some statistic like:

Team A: 7:43 TOP and 88 yards of offense
    Team B: 1:05 TOP and 6 yards of offense

21. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Add Brandon Jones to the list he is out today

22. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

D*%M!

23. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Weird the radio just said Nelson is out.

24. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

LHN says he will play but could just be a few plays.
    Why play him then?

25. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

McCulloch just took a teammate out, quite possibly for the season. Helmet to shoulder and the wounded wing likely add up to fractured collar bone.