Texas-Georgia Sugar Bowl Game Thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Dionysus, Jan 1, 2019.

1. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

Chinstrap isn't exaggerating either. Craig Miller in the morning and Corby Davidson in the afternoon are unapologetic life long sooners.

2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The changed the rule before the season started. I now reads "leads with the crown of the helmet to any part of the body".

That was the PAC-12's best at work last night with the ESPN crew trying to explain (which only made matters worse). That targeting call was correct. The one before probably would not have been called by other conference crews. It was almost like - "WTF is going on here? We were told the $EC is superior so Georgia has to win"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. HoffHorn

HoffHorn 500+ Posts

And neither eent to school there!!!!! Those guys are such tools!!!

4. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

L/Gs ... I just finished watching on “WatchESPN” on account I had to make donuts last night during the entire game ... and my DirectTV app isn’t streaming from the DVR like it advertises it will. Sigh.

My My My!

Hat’s Off to the Horns! What a dominate performance!!!

The team came to play! I was impressed. Good play calling, esp on defense. Great intensity!

I’ll even give a nod to the officiating, for the most part ... they don’t control the rules; targeting is killing this game.

Anyhow ... glad to see this win. Roll ON!

HOOK ‘EM!

• Like Like x 3
  5. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Horns cake is fully baked, ShAArk92 donuts are made.... Dawgs just got to play better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  6. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Thanks Viper....did not know the rule change. Man, before you know it, they will outlaw any helmet contact...probably need to go back to leather helmets....geez!!!

Re the Cook tackle, he was already in high-speed pursuit to tackle Fromm as he was sliding. There was no way for Cook to just stop. I assume if he just landed on him with no helmet contact, then perhaps the call is a late hit....or a no-call???

• Like Like x 1
  7. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Gary Johnson should have been tossed as well. He punched the guy same as what the LSU DB did. Just really stupid play on that last drive. One thing to make a bad tackle in the moment. Another to punch a player when you are trying to close out a game. You gotta be smarter than that. Should have never had a chance at the onside kick. Did not like Herman's reaction either. That was the only negative to an otherwise friggin awesome night of football. You out rush Georgia by 100+ yds. Wish I could have had a bet on that at like 100 - 1.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I honestly turn the station when morning and afternoon drive talk college sports.

9. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

On another front; I didn't see Herman's wife after the game. Usually she's right by his side. Did I miss something on this?

10. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Kirby says watching video of the Horns "scares you to death" and I'm quite sure he didn't do near enough clapping. :facepalm:

• Hot Hot x 1
  11. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

She was right behind him at the trophy presentation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

She was just a bystander. :e-thinking:

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Sep. 7th against LSU. Only game I can find as an alternative is Clemson-A&M.

14. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Buck, skirts are on the horizon. If Cook had not led with his helmet, he would have been flagged for a late hit since once the QB starts his slide he is in witness protection.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Yes, and that is the biggest reason why I never listen to either of their programs....

16. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

The interesting thing to me is the reaction of Georgia (and all SEC fans) after the game. They refuse to admit they were beaten fair and square. Nothing but excuses. It's the same as Kyler's reaction after OU lost to us in the Red River Shoot-out. Their ego's have eaten them alive.

Or... people have really bought into the idea of Texas being "gone" (the inverse of being back) and were shocked that they indeed were back. So does that mean OU and Georgia only play to the level of the pre-game hype? If so, they still lost because that's who they are. The mental make-up of the players is huge.

What did Yogi Berra once say? "Half of baseball is 90% mental."

If you lost because you weren't ready to play then that's who you are. You're the team that requires revenge or a massive chip on your shoulder day in and day out to compete at the level your ego projects. You're the team that is inconsistent and not as good as you think you are.

Welcome to reality.

• Hot Hot x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  17. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

@bystander it's a cult. What are ya gonna do? Reasonable people know how the game went.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

If I understand it right, the targeting rule is to prevent/reduce skull or neck injuries to the tackler as much as protect the taklee (is that a word?). Anyway, maybe might reduce compression neck vertebrate/disk injuries.

But if tacklers are now taught to pull their head back so as not to lead with the crown of the helmet (unless they can avoid any head/helmet contact to the other player?), man that sounds as much if not more dangerous to the neck than a compression type injury. Both dangerous, but are they trading one for the other?

19. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Rather than comment on this important subject matter, please see this thread and my posts with DKR video. I think this adequately explains why we even have this rule today....

Coach Orlando takes ownership

20. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

^^^^This

21. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Actually safe tackling technique includes keeping the head up to reduce neck injuries.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Isn’t it interesting that the SEC only loses because they didn’t really try to win. Perfect fit for the Ags.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Always an excuse. They live by the ego.

24. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

BINGO!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. pluckeye

pluckeye 250+ Posts

I have to say that Kirby Smart's post-game comments were pretty humble. What I remember is he essentially said that Texas beat them in every phase of the game. He gained my respect on his comments after the game. I must admit I was surprised, though!

• Agree Agree x 5
  27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

3-1

28. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I did read about his comments later. Classy. It's good to hear it. I'm sure as a coach it upsets him to think his players were mailing it in. Motivation is part of his paycheck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Sec is over rated most years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

While one has to remember that Smart and Herman coached together and are "good" friends, a coach's after game assessments have to be tempered knowing that the targeted audience is donors and recruits. However, the acknowledgment that Texas beat them in all phases was good to hear.

• Agree Agree x 1