"Texas has 'maybe' five players who could start for TCU"

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Badass, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Our Dbs are very well coached, Raegnor might be the best receiver we face all year, and he was held in check by a solid defensive performance. He is a more talented receiver than Boyd is a Cover Corner, but Boyd is well coached and has learned how to play the positon well enough that he was able to go toe to toe with Raegnor and get the best of him for a good portion of the night.

When the ball hits the ground, that is nothing more than a free ball, the preparation on how to react to that situation is about coaching, and again our defense was well coached in that regard.

So yes, it was as much about coaching, and our players being better coached than TCU's players were.

Now if we are talking about Caden Stern, that is not about coaching, he hasn't had a lot of coaching so far in his career, he is all about talent.

2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

welp. I guess he looks like the douche he is!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Can we put this silly debate to bed yet?
    Patterson did as fine a job as he always does today and our coaches were up to the task too.
    But our Jimmys and Joes were better today. (And yes many of those Jimmys and Joes were upper classmen.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

On defense, I liked their DE transfer from Louisiana and two of their LBs.
    On offense, I liked Turpin and Reagor. I'm unsure of their OL performance given that we stopped their run and got to their QB often.
    Otherwise, I liked our guys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

If we combined both team's rosters I figure we'd each end up with around 11 starters. Turpin/Reagor/Humphrey/Johnson would all rotate at WR. Most of the secondary would be our guys (Davis, Sterns, and Jones), most of the LB/DL would be them - remember their all-big 12 DT is out right now too. Not really sure about RB, OL would be a mix but probably a little in our favor. Sam or Shane would be QB over Robinson.

Overall they seemed a little faster, but we were generally stronger.

6. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

DS, everyone is looking better and am wondering if it's because we're seeing new faces/numbers out there on the field. Either someone's getting a fire lit under them or they're on the bench and someone with that fire has replaced them.....

7. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I agree everyone is looking better. Who are the new faces you are seeing out there? Unless you see a bunch of new faces out there, (I don't) its more or less the same players as in week 1 who were just not that talented.

Can you meet somewhere in the middle and agree that maybe we are talented?

• Like Like x 1
  8. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

This. Sometimes you just have a bad day. The same team that lost to Maryland just beat two ranked teams in a row and one of them was coached by Gary Patterson. Not an easy task.

Let's enjoy Texas playing to its potential and winning some football games. It feels good again :hookem:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. zuckercanyon

DS, I'll concede there was talent that didn't seem as such until they came together the last couple of games. I hope they feed on it....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

To Stat's point, that '97 team was the most loaded 4-7 team in the history of college football. They caught the absolute worst possible matchup early against UCLA and had a perfect storm of QB out, outmatched corners against big receivers, and a general lack of enthusiasm for playing under Mackovic. That team wins at least three more games just by Mackovic putting his ego away and saying "just give it to Ricky."

11. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

"'But our Jimmys and Joes were better today. (And yes many of those Jimmys and Joes were upper classmen.)"
    I can't say whether our players were better than theirs across the board, but I know which group played better as a team.

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  12. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Since you mention the upper-classmen thing. I decided to take a look.
    Our defense likely will have a drop off in run defense. We lose a ton of guys from the dline and linebackers. All three starters on the dline are gone after this year, and 2 of the 3 starters at linebacker. It's also a good bet that Brandon Jones goes pro after this year. However with that said, Our DBs should again be stacked. Key returning guys on defense will be.
    DL
    Ta'quon Graham DT/DE, Gerald Wilborn, NT, Moro Ojamo NT, Keondre Coburn DT/DE, Marquez Bimage DE, Daniel Carson DE, Malcolm Roach, and Michael Williams DE.

LB
    Jeffrey McCulloch, Ayodele Adeoye, Joseph Ossai, and possibly Demarvin Overshown
    DB
    Caden Stern S, BJ Foster S, Chris Brown N, Jalen Green, Anthony Cook, Kobe Boyce, Deshawn Jamison, and maybe Demarvin Overshown and Brandon Jones.

On offense
    QB - Everybody the one exception might be Shane Buschele.
    RB - Keaontay Ingram, Daniel Young, Kyle Porter, Kirk Johnson, and maybe Toneil Carter.
    WR - Devin Duverney, Josh Moore, Brennan Eagles, Alvonte Woodward, Jordan Pouncey, DeShawn Jamison, and maybe Collin Johnson and LJ Humphrey.
    OL
    Sam Cosmi, Zach Shackleford, Tope Imade, Derek Kerrstettler, JP Urquidez, Patrick Hudson, Rafiti Ghirmai, Junior Angilau, Reese Moore, Denzel Okafor,
    TE
    Cade Brewer, Reese Leiteo, and Malcolm Epps.

Biggest worry again is the oline, we need about 5 to 8 guys to get our numbers up.

13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes, but I had a better chance of fathering Jennifer Aniston's child than that ever happening.

:deadhorse:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. zuckercanyon

Sabre, that is IMHO, one of the finer "dream quotes" I've ever read...….

• Hot Hot x 1
  15. zuckercanyon

Austin Bill, I'll wager next years defense will make you forget about this years...….I'm not worried about run defense in the Big 12, because I don't think anyone else in the Big 12 is either....BUT I'm betting they'll be better than this year's squad (and yes with returning players like Caden Sterns who was two the last time we beat KSU in Manhattan)

16. zuckercanyon

Disagree again. He's being coached up. Give a coach a team that's used to losing, that's a mountain to climb.....Bring in fresh attitudes with no baggage....maybe that mountain's not so tough....

17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

or so high.

18. zuckercanyon

Ain’t no mountain high enough

19. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

ain't no river wide enough?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. zuckercanyon

at least we're quoting a football movie.....

21. Denmark

Denmark 500+ Posts

The first week was on the coaches!!!...and a little bit the weather and delay.

22. Denmark

Denmark 500+ Posts

There was still tons of talent from day one!