Texas High School Football

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Jul 27, 2022.

1. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

UIL needs to start in the cities by putting a stop to the cheating and stockpiling of talent from all over the area. - See also Dallas ISD. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last "honest" Dallas ISD team was Mike Livingston's SOC team in about 63/64?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

UIL and high school coaches are the last bastion of good ole boys.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
  3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

That is about right, but Kimball tried to play it straight for a little longer. Carter started out cheating. Now it has spread to DeSoto. I don't know how Cedar Hill is staying clean.

We played SOC in 68 or 69 and they were terrible. So bad that at halftime they went out on our practice field and had a bull in the ring session.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Dallas ISD is open enrollment, so I honestly don't have a problem with all of the football players choosing the same school. Each school has kind of become a magnet for specific learning styles and extracurriculars, and as long as Skyline HS exists, it'll always be in the top division. SOC was 5A-II so it wasn't competing against the West Texas 6A schools anyhow.

5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Are you ok with schools illegally providing cars to athletes to get to and from school? This still violates UIL & NCAA rules, but no one is "looking" while everyone is bitching.

6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

It’s only the Christian thing to do to help the poor kids get to class.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Garland ISD was one of the first, if not the first, to go to open enrollment in the mid=60s in order to settle a DoJ complaint. They won a 6-A Championship in 1999. The player concentration at GHS was perfectly legal so going where they want to isn't the problem. What they are getting (hard assets or grade considerations) has always been the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

No. I'm fine with open enrollment in large urban districts, however.

The thing is, SOC doesn't need to provide those types of benefits in order to get the best players to enroll there. They want to win and get noticed by recruiters on Hudl, so really their options within DISD are SOC (state champs who lost to other state champs in their nondistrict play) or Skyline (went 0-10 this past year). If one of the high schools like Spruce or Woodrow Wilson suddenly went 9-1 with dominant wins, I'd be a lot more suspicious.

I think the bigger concern would be those who manage to get out of DISD without actually getting out of DISD boundaries. Transferring to Duncanville or DeSoto is fine for a 9th grader who will eventually play varsity, but the one-year rental kind of guys should be investigated a little better.

9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

SOC might not have to, but Carter does so if SOC wants to land talent they have to pony (or bear) up. IMHO, all athletics at Carter should be shut down for at least 5 years.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Carter is 4A and hasn't been relevant in the 21st century with the exception of getting to the 2nd round of the playoffs a few times. They can't hang with Celina in their own district, so it'll probably be Fall 2024 until we find out if they can improve.

• Like Like x 1
  11. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• poop poop x 5
  12. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

NIL for high school??
    please NO

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

NIL for HS would be very entertaining:

1) You already have illegal recruiting sponsored by school districts. Most of these schools can be watched at Jerry World in December

2) UIL took away the ability for car dealerships to park new vehicles just outside the end zones. Now we give those same dealerships the ability to pay players?

3) Would this mean that someone (at least ONE) has to stay awake during eligibility discussions on transfers?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

28 states and DC already allow it on some level, which means that more and more kids will go the "IMG" route if Texas doesn't step up. You'll see the best talent in the state find routes to NOT play for schools like DeSoto and North Shore.

It makes some sense when you consider that tons of kids already get sponsored in sports ranging from ice hockey to tennis. The NFL has a stranglehold on sports viewing in the USA, so the "clinging to tradition" seems to hang on just long enough at the amateur level in that. But things like rowing or whatever, with virtually zero viewers, have no problem paying 15-year-olds.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

I don't like it, but I can't argue against anything said.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

What's next, NIL for Kindergarten? Someday all sports will become unwatchable.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

You seem to be assuming that NIL will pay more than Northshore, Duncanville, Desoto, SOC, et al are already paying these players.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

2 words
    South Lake

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  19. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I mean... ok?

UIL Incident Reporting Form - All Sports

It's whiny to complain about the potential illegal activities going on right now. I know several families whose members played for SOC recently and they don't exactly live in Highland Park mansions. One of them was driving a beater 90s Ford Taurus to games this year.

They don't need to pay because everyone there is already of that ilk. Recruiting doesn't really count if a family transfers in, sits a year, and then plays. Same as Kyler Murray at Allen.

20. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Do you really believe that Dallas ISD didn't sack that SOC team just like they did Carter?

It ain't new. Breckenridge offered better jobs to both Mr & Mrs Hathorne if they would move Jackie to be their QB back in 1953.

Donnie Anderson spent more of his summer in Jeffeson County than he did the Panhandle. Two days after he signed with the Packers, he was having a beer with my dad at Nig & Bess Pitre"s Riverside Tavern.

• Funny Funny x 2
  21. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I think with the way social media is today, it's far less likely that teams get away with the same stuff that Carter committed in the 80s. And like I said earlier in the thread, it's FAR more likely that kids zoned for Dallas ISD are sneaking out and playing for Duncanville than the other way around.

Show me some SOC parents driving around in Range Rovers and living in Preston Hollow and I'd be apt to agree with you. Based on my experiences with them, they're not. And based on the microscope that's on Dallas schools when they become good at sports, your ire should probably be directed more at the suburbs.

22. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

Not just suburbs. I grew up in small W Tex town (under 6500 pop.). A single mom in town had 3 sons, 2 were future D1 players. When the oldest entered HS, an oil company in the town next door (Denver City, under 2500 pop.) offered said mom a very nice job with a significant raise. Said mom accepted the job but said she would commute & her boys would continue in the same ISD. Within 24 hrs., said mom received notice that the job offer was rescinded. Story circa 1965.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Drive over to Northshore. There never have been any Rovers or BMWs or even Camaros and Mustangs. Those kids in Barrett Station that helped win Baytown Sterling a State Championship were given clunkers to get them across the San Jacinto River.

As I've said for years, Northshore HS, the only HS with a student population that is 99% Hispanic with a football team that's 100% black. I don't begrudge them that because they have provided a showcase and college education for lots of kids that may never have had that chance.

Not to go all "West Mall", but the state should study Northshore and the difference in it and Forest Brook or Smiley to see why the outcome is so different but only a few miles apart.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Dallas ISD is about 70/20 Hispanic-to-AA. But it's also open enrollment.

I have yet to see you bring up a cheating example from the 21st century. Unless you have jpegs of CashApp transactions and utility bills of kids who played for SOC that shouldn't have played for SOC, then go ahead and please provide them. These 50-year-old stories of cheating mean nothing to people whose great-grandparents were part of the scandals. Call it naivete, but with the way kids immediately head to Instagram to "out" the people taking benefits or having odd living situations, I don't think it's as difficult to enforce today.

25. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I use the old examples to say it has been going on for generations and will continue to go on. The "proof" you want does not exist, but I expect you know that. Even "dumb coaches" don't leave that obvious a trail.

You are correct that most of the kids know who is and who ain't, but they do not "take to instagram" or any other social media and usually don't discuss it at all.

So cheating continues. Usually it is all on the parents and "boosters". Dallas ISD is the only major school district playing the game. UIL might stop a kid at North Forest from transferring to Tomball even though his father got a new job 40 miles across Harris County (yes, the Aggies got him the job but no one talks about that) OR a kid moving from Midland to Odessa because his father got a big promotion (Daddy earned it without a coaches' help) or a kid living with his older brother and attending Eisenhower from transferring to Spring Branch ISD, but like the NCAA, the UIL shies away from politically controversial situations and Dallas ISD knows it

And to be clear, we are NOT talking about cars and other inducements.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Demas transferred in the window of "more-than-a-semester-until-the-next-season," which is legal by UIL rules. The coaches of 15-6A could have voted to not allow him to play.

27. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Seriously? When did Preston hollow produce kids with that kind of football talent??

• Winner Winner x 1
  28. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

H2
    Not many .IICR the Achos lived in PH but the boys went to St. Marks

29. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I was referring to living in a fancy neighborhood (based on improper benefits) that is zoned for Dallas ISD. But, for like the 4th time on this thread, I'm more concerned about people living anywhere zoned for Dallas ISD and playing for one of the suburbs. When I was working in Plano, there was one really good defensive end who was clearly zoned for WT White but playing for Plano West. West was pretty terrible at the time, so nothing ever came of it.

I just don't think out-of-districters would be that apt to want their kid to go to SOC either way. Lancaster and Duncanville are the next closest places, so it's not like their kids wouldn't get exposure there.

30. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

You don't think there's recruiting going on between and betwixt Duncanville, soc, DeSoto, Lancaster, Cedar Hill?