Texas Hires Chris Ash as DC

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by El Torito, Dec 15, 2019.

1. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

^^^^These are the keys.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Then there would have to be an announcement.

3. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Holding Chip Kelly's Oregon squad to 20 points in the national title game was impressive, and that was a fairly big 12-ish offense.

4. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  6. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

^^^The essence of a great hire. And I think # 4 is especially important. Players must buy in. That gives them a foundation to stand on when things get tough, and the road to victory looks dark and very narrow.

After Vince Lombardi had won NFL titles and then the first two Super Bowls, a lot of documentaries were made about the great Coach. One of the Green Bay lineman was asked how Lombardi developed total confidence and loyalty from the team. The reporter said it seemed the players would "cut off their own arm for Lombardi."
    The player looked at the reporter for a long moment. And then said, "Yes, we would cut our right arm off for Coach Lombardi, and if we wouldn't, he'd cut it off for us."

They had given all for Coach L. And if they didn't, they knew what awaited them was worse than what he was asking them to do. What was worse for them was dealing with his disappointment, and the shame they would feel for letting their teammates down. It was an incredible culture of sacrifice and winning Lombardi had fostered.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I'm having a hard time judging Ash's credentials because he was the Wisconsin DC for two yrs, piggie DC for one and co-DC at OSU for two. So really he had sole possession of a defense for three seasons at two schools. How much control did he have at OSU? How do we know he's worth a salt? :smile1:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Same. I am a little concerned that Herman's coaching circle is so small.

Also, he was on this staff this season. And how'd that turn out. I'm not saying that his fingerprints were on the defense at all this year. Maybe they were, in which case, it was bad. Or maybe they weren't, in which case, what was he doing? Other than lobbying for the job for the last 3 months.

Also, hearing that good OC candidates are being ruled out because Herman wants to stick with his particular power spread scheme.

We have seen your offense for 3 years now, Tom. That dog don't hunt. (I don't know that Beck was the problem)

He also says he wants to be more of a CEO coach. Well, be a CEO coach, and get the best assistants and GTFO their way.

I hope Herman knows what he is doing because he is not going to be able to deflect onto his assistants for another year.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  9. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Same here, because otherwise we are looking at a minimum of five more years of mediocrity, i.e. one more year of Herman followed by four years for our next savior to put a championship team on the field. And that's the best case scenario. So, that said, I hope TH knows what he's doing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  10. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

He does, look at his resume. If it ends up at 8-5 for 2019 one off year does not mean he cant coach. The injuries were a major factor! I think (OC Hire?) he’ll be OK. Just can’t screw up that hire. If he does then u may be right. Boy I hope not!

11. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I hope so too but I don’t agree that it will take our next HC four years... The right guy will have this program rocking & rolling by year three, if not sooner.

Going into 2020 this team is no longer “young.”
    AC, I have to respectfully disagree. The jury is still out on Herman. 2019 wasn't just an off year, it was a huge disappointment that resulted in the dismissal of his top two coordinators. They’re gone because CDC thought it was too easy — and too expensive — to think about replacing Herman. But the buck stops at the top.

His 2020 roster is loaded with seasoned players, and plenty of talent. For me 10-4 won’t cut it in 2020. In fact, nothing short of a CC and a minimum of 11 wins will be acceptable, and if we’re not in the CFP I will be disappointed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I’m fine with respectfully disagreeing Duke Steer. A CC and 11+ Wins. I’m on board and that’s what I want too! I agree the 2020 roster is loaded. And I can’t explain the in game decisions or play calling in 2019. We are a 9-3 team, sitting at 7-5 right now. I’ve never met Tom Herman. Did he cost us the TCU & ISU inexplicable losses?
    I guess I like come backs and second chances, I want to believe TH can come back. I don’t know who did what with play calling. TH is an underdog, and a really good one. That flip off thing has me wondering what’s up! I think he can do it, I’m rooting for TH.

13. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Maybe the stress of being the head coach of Texas is getting to him

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

While it doesn’t mean he can’t coach but there is definitely a character and judgment issue. This bird thing is at least judgment lapse # 4:

- The contentious radio interview in Houston with (I believe) the Chronicle reporter and another. TH behaved very unprofessionally.

- The Wing Flap making fun of the Missouri QB.

- The Head Butt.

- The Bird

Not impressive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Mack Brown survived 2000 season where he got blown out by blowu and ended the season with losses to aggy and Arkansas. Then he survived the 2003 season where again he got blown out by blowu and lost our bowl game to Washington State.

He was forgiven because Texas lost 1 game between the next two seasons.

If Tom can come back and get us to the conference championship game and win it. This season will be forgiven as well.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I actually believe him, when he says he was telling a story about his first experience at blowu. I've heard him tell that story in the past and he has talked about the old lady with the double birds.

BTW that should be the new hand sign for UTSA, they call what they do, "Bird's up". That would take Bird's up to a whole new level.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

An article about what Ash has been doing, if interested
    Texas getting good feel for new DC Chris Ash

" ..... Ash, along with new cornerbacks coach Jay Valai, linebackers coach Coleman Hutzler and co-defensive line coach Mark Hagen, have kept close tabs on their new batch of players. So far, coaches and players have seemed to mesh well.

All parties involved expect big things this season. And given Ash knows what’s required of a defense to win a national title — he won one as Ohio State’s defensive coordinator in 2014 — the Longhorns have every reason to trust the new guy, even if he can be a bit much at times.

“They’re very focused,” Ossai said. “And maybe it’s because they’re just coming in, I don’t know, I have to spend more time with them. But they’re very focused on what they want to do, and they’re just trying to get all of us to jump on board with them and be in the same mindset as them.”

Sterns added: “Coach Ash is top notch. And I feel like this year is going to be pretty special year.”

• Like Like x 2