Texas hitters underachieve?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Valmy77, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Valmy77

Valmy77 1,000+ Posts

I have noticed that our hitter have a hard time making it to the bigs. Interesting quote on this webpage about Drew Stubbs strike out problems:
    The Link

"Cy Cueto // Apr 11, 2008 at 6:58 pm

The problem is Stubbs is a UT product & will not change his swing. He is an impressive athlete; but, was pampered by the coaches & boosters in Texas as are all UT athletes. It is too bad; but, count him out of the picture, hope he has one good minor league year and becomes tradeable."

Which sounds like a hater but:

"CC,
    I have to disagree because he HAS changed his swing since he first was drafted. Texas has a history of college hitters that kill the ball in college and do little to nothing in the professional ranks. That could have to do with coaching, but I think its silly to write him off at this point in time."

Texas has a history of that huh? How bizarre because I do not think Fullerton had that rap when Garrido was there. What gives?

2. Texas Wahoo

Texas Wahoo 1,000+ Posts

3. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

Really the comment about boosters shout tell you everything. WTF does that have to do about how he swings the bat? [​IMG]

4. Valmy77

Valmy77 1,000+ Posts

Yeah and since when did Texas boosters pamper guys who do not produce? We are a pretty demanding bunch.

I was just surprised when that guy who writes minor league reports for the Reds said Texas had the reputation for underachieving hitters.

5. Valmy77

Valmy77 1,000+ Posts

I am as happy as anybody to see Fahey, Quintanilla and Hollimon in the bigs swinging the bat but the fact that guys like Seth Johnston and Majewski and Stubbs have had a rough time of it in the minors so far baffles me.

6. Truck's Son

Truck's Son 500+ Posts

Majewski is among the top 10 or 15 in all statistical categories in his league and I believe Stubbs made the All Star team this year. Majewski will be in AAA by the end of this season if I had to guess.

Teagarden is playing for AAA Oklahoma and Curtis Thigpen rotates back and forth between Toronto and Syracuse.

Omar is having a hell of a season with Colorado and is closing in fastly on his 100th career hit (Tulowitzki just went on DL again due to stupid, self inflicted injury). He is a legit every day player in the MLB. If Colorado doesn't see that then I hope they trade him.

Brandon Fahey is also closing in on career hit #100 and is currently starting with the Orioles.

Seth Johnston is really struggling at AA San Antonio, as is Maroul in Connecticut. I am really surprised by Johnston's struggles but I do think he has the tools to play in the bigs.

Robert Hudson is hitting around .250 at AA Birmingham and Bradley Suttle is having a great year at Class A Charleston, even though he's had to battle through injuries.

As far as pitchers go, Huston Street has been a hell of a pro, as we all knew he would. J.P. Howell is one of the top relievers in the game. He's 6-0 with a sub-3 era this season and will probably find a spot on the All Star team.

Brad Halsey has been hurt for two straight seasons but was a pretty solid pro up to that point.

JB Cox got a huge black eye courtesy of Curtis Thigpen the other night, but is still having an absolutely amazing minor league career and is one of the top prospects in the Yankees organization. He'll be in NYC soon.

McCulloch, Alaniz, Lecure, and James Russell are all having solid to spectacular seasons with various AA clubs. Krebs just got promoted to A Advanced Dayton.

I'd say the future looks pretty bright for a lot of these guys.

7. PitchingGuru

PitchingGuru 100+ Posts

After seeing the documentary on Augie, not sure pampered is a word that comes to mind.