Texas/ISU Game

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by LonghorninAustin, Jan 23, 2010.

1. LonghorninAustin

LonghorninAustin 1,000+ Posts

How many threes did ISU get to shoot before they made one? Four? All we needed was one rebound or we could have fouled when ISU had the ball inside the arc.

2. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

Iowa State 73 Texas 71 in overtime.

3. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

VERY disappointing to see the Longhorns lose @ home to Iowa State. You could even see it in all of their faces during the Eyes of Texas. Two steps forward one step back. The Longhorns should have won this game!!!!!!!

I was hoping a victory today would give the Longhorns the breakthrough they desperately need to continue in their path to being a force to reckon with.

I'm not even sure Texas deserves a Top 25 ranking anymore. Maybe the critics are right...Texas is in the Top 25 because of the respect for Coach G.

*sigh*
    [​IMG]

4. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

At 2 - 3 in conference play the women right now are just not good enough, hopefully they improve by the Big 12 tournament.

5. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

Heartbreaking........ I agree, they do not deserve to be in the top 25

6. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

I really have a hard time believing Iowa State is better than Oklahoma State. That's what makes today's loss even more difficult to understand!!

7. LonghorninAustin

LonghorninAustin 1,000+ Posts

I only got to see the last 7 or 8 minutes and at that point we had a 7 point lead. The rebounding in those minutes for us was atrocious. It was a hard fought game though and all we needed was just a little luck and we would have had a win today.

8. goosehorn

goosehorn 500+ Posts

Oh no! Dang it ladies... Y'all had them!

9. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Really? 14 pt. lead? At home? Against Iowa State? Really?

[​IMG]

10. txtreefan

txtreefan 100+ Posts

Tough game to lose but all credit to Iowa Sate who dictated the pace of the game and made shots when they needed to. The game was lost at the free throw-line and on the glass. Erika is getting clutch, and hopefully they learn from this painful loss. Iowa State is a gritty, disciplined and very well-coached team. No shame in going down to them. TX coulda, shoulda, woulda. No gimmes in this league. Here's to spanking the Mulkey and Baylor next week.

11. L4UT

L4UT 100+ Posts

we are just not very good - until we get more athletic, to play coach g's style, we will continue to struggle and lose games we shouldn't - we have a long way to go - can't lose games like this at home and expect to be in the running for anything - hopefully recruits will see that they can come in and play right away and we start getting an upgrade on talent

12. tott10

tott10 500+ Posts

disappointing game, to say the least. Fennelly's teams come prepared, and they know how to make free throws and 3 pointers...that's a given. so the most frustrating part for me was how we got beat in the paint...that shouldn't happen! post defense and help defense in the lane was not good, especially at the end of the game. ISU had 28 points in the paint, to the horns 14.

free throws!!! that's becoming an issue every game. the refs were foul happy on ISU in the first half, and the horns didn't take advantage.

don't even get me started on the 3 or 4 shots they had at the 3 pointer at the end of the game. [​IMG]

anyone know what #12 did to get the technical foul? i didn't see what happened. Fennelly definitely wasn't happy, though...chewed her out, sat her on the end of the bench and she never played again.

13. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

She said some dirty words to Earnie....I believe they started with the letters F and B....

I am bummed about this game...it's one thing to play and never get going....and just lose to a clearly better team...

It's ANOTHER thing to be up by 14, and just have a major collapse of defense and lose the game....just sucks....

I slept horribly last night, kept re-playing those final moments...wanting to get a "do-over".....just s%#t!!

I think GG should have played Kristen more....she would have done better on rebounding, IMHO.

[​IMG]

14. rosevilleblock

rosevilleblock 250+ Posts

I really think that we need to try and finish confrence play at least 10-6 to have a shot at decent tournament seed in the ncaa's. This loss definatly hurt and with the mens team going down again, it wasn't a good day! Horns really need road wins at Colorado, Kansas and Oklahoma st. We wont beat A&m in college station or Oklahoma in Norman this year. I feel we have a good shot in the rest.

15. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

16. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Roseville....have to disagree about Texas losing in Norman..
    I think we have a good, well at least a decent chance...JMHO...

[​IMG]

17. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

Horns what's going on? [​IMG]

I agree I think she needs to go ahead and start Kristen. At least we know every play, every hustle, every ball Kristen will go for it. I still can't understand why Cokie and AG do not have monster rebounding games and dominate the paint. Are they just big girls but not athletic? I haven't seen them in person so could someone enlighten me?

I think they can beat any team in Big 12. I just don't think they're disciplined enough to do it. If you're up by 14 they should continue to build on it. If you take a play off - time for a sub. We're playing our entire bench so if someone gets tired or has a mental lapse - sub them and try them again in a few minutes. Also go back and review why they had a mental lapse/error/mistake/ turnover and teach it again. Repetition is the key to learning.

Well 5 games down and 11 to go. Shake it off, learn from it and let's go get Baylor!

18. txtreefan

txtreefan 100+ Posts

As both Kurt Budke and Bill Fennelly acknowledged in their post game press conferences, we are one of the most talented teams in the country. The problems remain ones of intensity, consistency and focus. We played lights out to take a 14 point lead on Saturday and them slacked off. Why? I dunno. The habit of losing is still with this team, but they gutted out a tough win on the road against Tech, contained the conference's top scorer, and learned the tough lesson that you have to play all forty minutes on Saturday. The team has problems finishing: finishing plays, finishing games. The offensive sets are run beautifully only to miss a chippy. The team plays great defense only to miss a rebound. If this team learns to finish, they can beat anyone in the Big 12, but that is a big "if."

19. txtreefan

txtreefan 100+ Posts

P.S. Iowa State is a much better TEAM than OSU, the latter with a coach that coddles the dirtiest player in the history of the Big 12, and is totally reliant on her spectacular talent. Working out how to defend OSU is easy, executing it is less so, but we defended Riley well enough, defending a gutsy, gritty and very well-coached TEAM like ISU is harder.