Texas’ Kearney to step down

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by arieshorn, Jan 6, 2013.

1. arieshorn

arieshorn 1,000+ Posts

Well it's a darn shame stepping down because of an inappropriate relationship with a student athlete over a decade ago and prior to her spinal injury from her car crash. What I don't understand is why did this person just now report this incident to UT until Oct 2012?? This sounds like a shakedown to me. I'm not saying what Coach Kearney did was right but this coming out now smells fishy. Inappropriate relationships always bite you in the *** in the end. In light of it all I hope her legacy of bringing Texas women’s track and field team to six national championships will outshine this incident in the long run.

Link

[​IMG]

2. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

Wow, she was an amazing coach, and actually has one the best teams she has had in many years this season; as strong as a few other programs are, she had an excellent chance at winning a NC this year, and perhaps quite a number the next few seasons. Of course, that can still happen for the team, but another coach will get the credit for it.

This is a really weird situation. Something happens over a decade ago, obviously extremely bad judgement whatever happened, and whomever it occured with, and someone waits over ten years to even mention it. We can't know for sure, but sadly his kind of situation is almost always about money; my guess is someone needed cash and suddenly realized, or decided this was an easy way to get it. It's even possible, if that is the case, that the person thought they could just inform someone, get paid off quietly, and nothing would ever come to light, or a coaches career come to an end as a result. But that certainly isn't possible at an institution like the University of Texas. Regardless of motive, no question Bev brought this on herself, and should have known better.

I also agree with comments in article that it's always tougher for women in these situations. And this kind of thing probably happens more frequently than most realize, but more often than not doesn't come to light because neither party wants it advertised, or known. Look at Coach Petrino. Not only did he have an affair with a student ahtlete, he was married with a family, and is already coaching again at another University.

Very unfortunate but the University had no choice given the circumstances. A terrible mistake but credit to Bev because it appears she was honest about what happened. A sad situation all the way around.

3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sucks for sure Aries, but the university had to react in the way that it did.

4. Branyon

Branyon 500+ Posts

A sad day for Bev and for UT.

5. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Thanks for the good things you have done in the past and how you were a representative for The University of Texas. Good luck to you in the future.

6. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

Reading the article, Bev shows considerably more class than her attorney. I find it hard to see how, as he says, she is being scapegoated by UT. I agree that whoever the student athlete is - sounds like they're the one with the hand out.

7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Isn't this the same reason why former LSU basketball coach, Pokey Chatman, resigned her post? Relationship with a student-athlete?

8. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Damn shame

9. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

I'm not condoning any of the wrong doings if any but it seems like these things that come up years later involves money opportunities sometimes more than justice and I sometimes suspect also in the Penn State and Lance Armstrong Cases.

10. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

Mooooo -

I think in the LSU situation it may have been going on at the time she left - not 10 years before.

11. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

You people do realize that there is a victim here, right? For a coach to take advantage of a student athlete in any manner is abuse in any shape manner or form.

This tarnishes her and the university, very selfish act and the victim is still a victim regardless if they come forward or not or why they come forward. Some of you are almost sounding like you are from Penn State.

12. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

13. majorwhiteapples

I was not referring to the act but the coming to the defense of a successful coach by fans. This person acted selfishly as every other Teacher has in these situations.

My reference to Penn State was exactly what you proved to me, irrational fans that come to the defense of the teacher and start blaming the victim. You are no different than anyone else in State College.

And yes it is a Sexual Felony for any Teacher involved with a student regardless of Age or gender in the State of Texas.

She will be charged with a Felony, and according to what I have read, she will be found guilty.

Some people need to get over themselves.....

14. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

The Link

Read this and educate yourself and while you're at it, step out of the dark ages. The author of the bill that makes it illegal for any educator to have sex with a student said she didn't mean for that to apply in the case of a 25 year old teacher having sex with an 18 year old and meant it for those 17 and younger. So your assertion that she will definitely be found guilty when they couldn't even convict the 25 year old under the law is complete and total ******** conjecture on your part. And don't ever compare me to a Penn State fan again, you *******.

15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

16. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

I've not ready anything on this board that appears to be coming to Kearney's defense in what is going on, only expressions of regret that it had to end this way.

Nor am I seeing anything that suggests that UT did any less or more than it had to do under the circumstances.

17. overseasbbfan1

I agree with notanative; no one is excusing Bev's behavior, or defending her actions. And from the University's persective the rules, and consequences for breaking them, are clear. Regardless of the motive of the other individual involved, or if what transpired was consensual, Bev made a serious mistake, and paid a high price for it. That is very different than implying she is a criminal, or a bad person. She is anything but that. Her actions in this particular situation were wrong, and inappropriate, and as a result her career at Texas is over.

I don't think it's unfair for some to discuss, or speculate as to motive of the other person involved. That is a separate issue from acknowledging that Bev was at fault, and her punishment appropriate It is also very different from blaming the vicitm when a crime has occurred. The identity of the other individual is protected, and no one will ever know for certain why they chose to come forward. Could the motive have been something other than money? Yes. But given the length of time that has transpired it is also reasonable to question whether or not financial gain was behind this person's actions. Since this is a transparent process, and the Universiry a public institution, it will eventually be known if there was any type of monetary settlement involved. Those details would have to be released, and rightly so, while at the same time protecting the privacy of the person receiving the money.

There is no question this is a sad situation for all concerned. Presumably for the person who came forward, for the University who places a great deal of trust in the hands of its' educators, and for the student-athletes who chose to attend Texas because of Bev. And of course for Bev herself. She has accomplished many great things in her long career; the first black woman to lead a team - in any sport - to an NCAA team title while at Florida, and the first and only black person, man or women, to be a HC at The University of Texas. With all of her achievements also comes a great deal of responsibility, and it is incredibly sad that her tenure here had to end so prematurely, and needlessly. But she clearly stepped ove a line, and has no one to blame but herself. I hope she learns from her mistake, recovers from this, and is able to move forward in life with whatever comes next.

18. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

20. overseasbbfan1

At first I thought you were providing a link to the original CNN article. I hate to see this situation go down this path. Initially it seemed as if Bev was saying all the right things, but you got the feeling based on her attorney's comments this type of thing might happen. My first instinct is to say her attorney isn't doing her any favors, but if a payout is the goal then maybe he is. And if some assume the student was after money it's fair to say it's now about money for Bev as well. Who knows, maybe everything is ultimately about money these days. Whatever the case the University should do anything necessary to put this issue behind them, and get it out of the national press sooner rather than later. If that means paying both parties off, then do it. You generally aren't required to pay severance when someone is fired 'for cause,' but it isn't unheard of either. Even though her pending pay raise was a big one, I don't buy that anyone in the adminstration would have been behind having this student come forward. I guess anything is possible, but it just doesn't make any sense. Bev was one of their stars, and no way would they have intentionally brought this kind of unwanted attention on to the school, or program. It would be far more likley that an external source was behind it, but even that seems doubtful. There also seems to be an implication that someone at a lower level, perhaps someone else in the T&F program, might have pushed the former student to come forward. If so who knows what the motive might have been, and I certainly hope that isn't the case. Just do whatever is necessary to settle this thing with all concerned, and be done with it.

21. Bill in Sinton

Don' t forget ex post facto laws.

22. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Some of the stuff from this CNN article is insane...

23. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Kearney did not break any law and there is no victim

ABC News

24. majorwhiteapples

While you may be correct on the Ex Post Facto, your name calling and just straight out immaturity makes the Penn State comparison very darn close.

Sorry that you have such hatred in your blood, counseling will be very helpful for you.

25. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

Your hypocrisy is laughable. I believe calling someone out on immaturity is name calling. I do have quite a bit of hatred in my blood for anyone that likens me to a pedophile supporter. Bev's case and the PSU scandal are not even remotely similar but your insistence on continuing to draw the parallel and liken people to PSU supporters makes my name calling less name calling and more a representation of a fact.

26. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

All of this is just sad. Whatever the legal implications, you should know as a coach not to have that sort of relationship with an athlete, period. For that alone and given the current climate, I think the University had no choice but to fire her, what if she did it again, you cant take that chance as an employer. Very Very Sad.

27. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

28. Bill in Sinton

It is regretable but I agree with FW and the others that she had to go. The only thing is why her and not our baseball coach when he got that DUI which is more dangerous to others? Ye ole double standard?

29. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Bill, you are probably correct except there was not a student/athlete (or athlete/student ) directly involved (especially after Penn State). Parents want assurance that the coach will not involve herself/himself with students. If the coach does, the coach in the parent's eyes is at fault even if the there is student consent involved.

Sucky situation at the university level.

30. LakeErieHorn

LakeErieHorn 500+ Posts

Can we hire the guy at A&M now? Proven winner, recruiter, a builds talent.