Texas Longhorns notch beer sponsorship with ... Corona?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by moondog_LFZ, Jul 6, 2017.

1. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

2. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

Wow. We're taking this NAFTA stuff a bit too far.

3. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Blaah! That stuff is weak as water. No like.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  5. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Not my first choice. Must have been some big $$$.

6. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

8. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

What torques my nuts is they sell friggin' Leinenkugel (sp?) but not Lone Star. Leiny is made in MN. Those aggies are gonna do a deal with Lone Star or Shiner and we are going to look like the t-sips they call us.

9. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Blech, Corona.
    And Leinenkugal's fruity *** beers that taste like dish soap :puke::puke::puke:

We need Lone Star for the old school and then support a local brewery that is established and consistent like Real Ale or Live Oak.

• Like Like x 2
  10. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

Since Lone Star has been acquired several times I wonder if it still actually brewed in Texas?

Pabst Brewing Company is the current owner.

11. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

I've never ben a fan of Lone Star. You'd think Shiner would be a natural "Texan" kind of fit.

12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Desperado,

Years ago, I had the opportunity to be a guest of the owners of Shiner at their ranch in Sattler. Of course they served BBQ, but the only beer they served was Lone Star.

I'm not sure many are aware that Lone Star was started by a partnership led by Augustus Busch.

Bill,

While you are correct about PBR, Heileman bought Lone Star along with a dozen or so other breweries, dropped all marketing efforts, and turned a profit in each division. I think the most startling was Schlitz, which at the time of purchase was the second largest selling beer in the country. Heileman cancelled all advertising, but made Schlitz more profitable at that time.

13. LonghornCatholic

Have they improved the taste of Lone Star?

One of the nastiest beers I've ever drank, but its been a couple of decades, or so, since.

14. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

When I was growing up in my teens in Central Texas, typical of so many Czech-German Americans, we drank the hell out of beer. This was pre-drug, pre-pot Texas. One saying went: "What is a Czech 7-course meal? .... a six-pack of beer and a kolache (by the way, a kolache is NOT a sausage wrapped in bread dough, that's a klobasnek, but over the past 40 years the word has been corrupted....damned YANKEES!!!):

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/klobasnek-em-sausage-kolaches-em-51230810

I recall going to Houston one weekend with the family to visit inlaws and to experience "The Eighth Wonder of the World" (aka The Astrodome), and being treated to the official beer of the Dome --- Falstaff. Seem to remember if an Astro hit a home run, cups of Falstaff went on sale for 50 cents while the inning lasted.

Although the elders of our families typically drank Shiner (Premium), Lone Star, Pearl, Falstaff, Jax, or other regional beers, we kids preferred Schlitz. It was a bit sweeter, didn't have the "skunky, horse piss" smell (natural aromas of the fermentation byproducts that offgas given time to breathe), and had cool TV ads (sailing ships, hot chicks, "The Beer That Made Wilwaukee Famous"). Budweiser wasn't really in the mix, and Coors was yet to make it south of that gas station/convenience store about 15 miles out of Austin. Miller High Life, "The Champagne of Bottled Beers" was kind of viewed as a sissy beer. Miller's master stroke of "Miller Lite" wouldn't hit national distribution until about 1975.

Shiner used to be "Shiner Premium" and it's kind of weird today to have someone pony up to the bar and ask for a "Shiner" only to be understood it's a request for a "Shiner Bock." Today, when I ask for a Shiner Bock, I ask for a Shiner Bock, not a Shiner. Spoetzel Brewing recently brought back Shiner Premium (white can) and as an adult now I like the beer that I turned my nose up to as a kid (unless it was at a wedding where out of the keg it seemed to taste better to us teenagers. Maybe it was because we could just waltz up to the kegs and fill up pitcher after pitcher to walk around with and fill up everybody's cups and also drink at will ourselves).

In our small town there actually was a Shiner beer delivery salesman, just like a milkman, who had a big flat stakebed truck for his route deliveries. Because so many of the local Baptists didn't want to be seen buying beer, he would drive up and down the back alleys, picking up those wooden cases with 24 empty Shiner (Premium) returnable bottles in them, replace the case with another filled with 24 FULL Shiner bottles, write up a bill on their account, stick it in the case and drive on down to the next Baptist house backyard.

We Czechs and Germans didn't give a ****, mostly Catholics or Lutherans, bought and drank our beer proudly. Remember, when Jesus and his mother Mary were at Cana, celebrating Jesus' cousin's wedding, and they ran out of wine, Mary asked Jesus to turn the urns of water into urns of wine (okay, not beer, but work with me on this), not to purify the water, but to allow for the continued merriment from drinking adult beverages. They were all having a great time drinking wine, dancing in the street, shooting guns in the air (oh, wait, that's Texas).

I remember the fall from grace of Schlitz; never really paid much attention as to why. I moved to Austin at 18 in 1973 to work and go to UT, experience the hippie/redneck fusion birth of Austin's music scene, coinciding with explosive growth and resulting construction boom also gave us the Armadillo World Headquarters, bean/cheese/jalapeno nachos, and the genius stroke of Spoetzel Brewing: "Shiner Bock." That and Lone Star promoting heavily it's "National Beer of Texas", Pearl pushing it's Hill Country roots I guess seemed to push us away from Schlitz.

But the article linked below probably explains an even better reason, Schlitz's classic example of what NOT to do with success (example, their TV ad with gnarly boxer facing camera menacingly challenging the watcher "You want to take away my gusto?" dubbed the "Drink Schlitz or I'll kill you" campaign). That and combined with changing the recipe, using artificial ingredients to allow for faster brewing, shorter lagering period, etc., ultimately killed the No. 2 beer in the U.S. This was long before anyone even heard of the term "craft brewing."

https://beerconnoisseur.com/articles/how-milwaukees-famous-beer-became-infamous

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Your his(story) reminds me of my favorite Czech joke. Do you know how to say "cheap" in Czech (language)? Czech. Haha.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  16. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Well, as Walt Disney and Ray Kroc might have said to that: "Prosit!"

17. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Why Shiner Bock (and other Shiner varietals) should be the official DKR beer, not a Mexican beer:

While most of us were led to believe that Bevo got his name from a rebranding of the 13-0 losing score to aggy, with the steer's aggy brand changed from 13-0 to BEVO, that apparently is not true. The timeline doesn't fit:

http://www.foxsports.com/southwest/story/unveiling-the-myth-behind-a-branded-bevo-112112

"The most common suggestion for the name is from a popular beverage sold at the time called “Bevo.” Nicar also believes it may have evolved from the term “beeve,” which means beef."

That popular beverage named "Bevo"? An Anhueser Busch beer apparently named by a mashup of "beverage" and "pivo" (Czech for beer):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bevo

Labels on the bottles billed it as "Bevo the Beverage". The name "Bevo" was coined from the word "beverage" and the Slavic language word for beer "pivo", and was pronounced "Bee-vo".

So, since Bevo apparently didn't get his name from any alleged aggy branding/Texas rebranding, instead probably from the Czech word for beer -- "pivo" --- then, shouldn't DKR sell beer from that little old brewery in Shiner, Texas, that was one of the original pivo sellers in Texas (though not Bevo, that was AB):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoetzl_Brewery

The Spoetzl Brewery started in 1909.[1] It was originally named "The Shiner Brewing Association," (SBA) and was founded by German and Czech immigrants who had settled around the central Texas town of Shiner.

18. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Are you suggesting we lose the chaps? I mean....I'm game! :smokin:

• Like Like x 2
  19. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

I nominate @blonthang for the title of Official Hornfans Beermeister (if that's a thing).

• Like Like x 3
  20. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Judged brisket in Shiner last weekend and drank a fair share of the Shiner premium. That was my grandfather's favorite beer and I think the malt profile puts it a notch above Lone Star (which is my usual beer). I personally believe Schlitz is the best cheap beer there is but I sometimes have a hard time finding it, especially in bottles.

UT dropped the ball by not going with Shiner

Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  21. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

this.

i mean, what do you do if the prime choice won't play ball?

22. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Does anyone know the details of the Corona sponsorship? Perhaps I missed that.

23. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

well, the first detail is you get your horns up...

• Like Like x 1
  24. LonghornCatholic

Details?

Texas dropped the ball, although we don't know if Shiner even wanted to play, was asked to play, wanted to play but didn't want to pay.

Some people like the taste of Lone Star and Schlitz beer. Yep, you heard me.

Corona girls are caliente.

Horns up on one hand, a lime on the other, NTTAWTT.

Blonthang is coolest dude on Hornfans :hookem:

25. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Thx. Dos Equis asked me to do followon for "The Most Interesting Man in the World", ... too busy spying for Putin right now. :smokin:

By the way, that new guy, maybe the writers, suck. FYI the original MIMITW wasn't even Mexican.

New York Jew. Really. And he speaks Russian, .... in French.

But for the life of me I've never understood 2Xs "... Stay thirsty my friends."

Would be like a Mopar commercial for a hemi-powered Charger saying "Drive below the speed limit, Bubba."??

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  26. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Go to Mexico and look at football apparel being worn.
    It's Cowboys or Longhorns.

• Like Like x 2
  27. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

It's Cowboys and whatever is on sale at Walmart & K-Mart.

28. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

If you happen to rent a catamaran out of Cancun and one of their crew members has a Longhorn cap on, it was mine. When we all returned for the day after they got us all liquored up, a crew member asked me if he could have my cap in espanol. I think it was the alcohol that help me understand what he was asking for. It made his day when I handed it to him.

• Like Like x 2
  29. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Did it make his day because of the hat or because you understood what he said?

30. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

I think both. :smile1: Or maybe he said "bonito sombrero" and I had too much to drink and thought he was asking me for it. LOL

• Like Like x 1