Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by numbereleven, May 23, 2008.

1. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

OK people, I want reports on three places, stat.

1. Snow's BBQ, Lexington (ranked #1) - open four hours a week. Anyone been?

2. Lambert's Downtown BBQ, Austin (ranked top 50) - looks pretty fancy pants. Hell, fourteen bucks for a two meat lunch plate better be good. And it's one of only two BBQ joints in Austin proper that made the list.

3. Mann's Smokehouse, Austin (ranked top 50) - the other one, also never been.

Linky Linky

2. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

Mann's Smokehouse on Research also made the list w/ a higher rating than Lambert's.

Lambert's = bbq cooked in a gas-burning rotisserie and jicama-and-carrot slaw is not Texas bbq

Nice to see Harold's in Abilene listed. Good q and hot water cornbread, live entertainment during slow hours with Harold's wife talking back to the soaps on the little portable tv above the cokes.

3. Texas007

Texas007 1,000+ Posts

If it is cooked in a gas burning oven it is not bbq.

4. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

I really like the food at Lambert's (I work 2 blocks away), but it's not BBQ (though I like the sauce). The dinner menu is particularly good. SIdes are good, the bread is good, the meat is good -- it's just not true BBQ. Enjoy it for what it is.

5. TornACL

TornACL 250+ Posts

They just opened a Lambert's here in Fort Worth. Every time I read about it, they reference the "famed Austin location".

I lived in Austin for 6 years...and I had never even heard of Lambert's.

6. Spry

Spry 25+ Posts

Thanks for the link! Wow, Black's completely fell off the list? I went last fall and thought it would at least make the Honorable Mention list.

7. airportlobby

airportlobby 100+ Posts

The Ft. Worth Lamberts has different owners/chefs. One of the same guys is involved, but there is little relation between the two restaurants.

8. YeaTexasFight

YeaTexasFight 1,000+ Posts

I grew up in Giddings (15 minutes from Lexington) and can't say I've ever heard of Snow's. I am ashamed.
    edit: ah, I see it's only been open for 5 years...which is after my time.

Good to see City Meat Market in Giddings made the list...surprised neither Meyer's or Southside in Elgin is on the list.

9. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

Agree on Black's, I sometimes hit it up on a college football Saturday before heading in for a night game. Last time it was as good as ever.

10. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

Re: Fort Worth:

Austin Lambert's just opened last year, so that's why you haven't heard about it.

The Fort Worth location IS owned by the same Lou Lambert. He has just partnered that location with Grady Spears

11. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I go to Mann's about once a week. It is good, but I don't know if I would rate it ahead of the famed legendary BBQ joints of Taylor, Elgin, Lockhart or Llano.
    The beef can be like roast beef instead of BBQ beef, or too dry, but maybe you can say that about any place.
    They have a daily trivia question where you can win a free lunch, good selection of sides, good chicken, good sausage (jalepeno and regular), good ribs, pork and beef. The BBQ brisket can be perfect, with a nice smoke ring, just not always. The owners are really nice folks, I like to patronize the place.
    The Iron Works may be better in Austin, but I like Mann's, Artz Rib House, and House Park.
    Went to Lambert's once, it is a higher-priced place, it was good. Maybe more a special occasion place, than a traditional BBQ joint.

12. airportlobby

airportlobby 100+ Posts

BBall Jones - Lou Lambert is involved in both, to varying degrees, but the two restaurants are not related and have different management and ownership. The Austin one opened first, in 12/06. My brother opened the Austin Lamberts.

I'd like to try Mann's. Can't beat free ice cream.

13. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Texas Monthly is so kitschy it is almost beyond belief. They have actually listed Van's in Oakville, which has an interesting ambience----call it rural unimaginative, the bathroom for both sexes has one toilet and a claw foot bathtub and no deodorant---but mediocre food. It has always been mediocre and the quality of the meat they use is minimal.

The old lady in the pink plastic cowboy hat and the incredibly nuanced rural south Texas women's accent is worth the trip and when driving to SA from Corpus I will stop there (it is the only restaurant on the way) but it is hardly better than a Bill Miller's.

14. Fievel121

Fievel121 2,500+ Posts

Only one place listed near me in Dallas [​IMG]
    And that is baker bros that I've been to. Pretty good stuff.

15. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

I have been to all in their top 5 except the one in Lexington. The other 4 in their top 5 were also in their top 5 like 5 years ago. The one that dropped out of their top 5 is Coopers. And I don't blame them. The past few times I have been to Coopers I have not been impressed.

My top 2 are Kreutz (#1) and City Market in Luling (#2). And then likely Louie Muellers.

16. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

I still don't get the fascination with Kreuz's. Every time I go there the brisket is ridiculously fatty and the shoulder is very unimpressive.

17. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

I've eaten Mann's. Not impressed. Not much flavor to the brisket. I usually like beef ribs, but theirs were inedible. Sides unremarkable.

18. TornACL

TornACL 250+ Posts

19. Ralphie

Ralphie 500+ Posts

What were they thinking? Lambert's? Mann's? Hard Eight (Brady)? Tx Monthly needs to quit hiring staff from foreign states. Save he obvious, easy choices (Luling, Sequin, et.al.) they are clueless.

20. TexUT

TexUT 25+ Posts

What about Snow's? This is the only question worth answering. I need to know about Snow's.

21. kjgirl

kjgirl 500+ Posts

I have no had Snow's but has had other BBQ from Lee County (Giddings & Lincoln) and always like it.

22. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

Several notable omissions:

Sonny Bryan's, Dallas
    Sammy's, Dallas
    Main Street BBQ, Euless
    Bodacious BBQ, several East Texas locations
    Clem Mikeska's, Temple

23. HornOnTheBayou

HornOnTheBayou 250+ Posts

The wife and I are going to Snow's tomorrow. We will come back with a detailed report.

24. YeaTexasFight

YeaTexasFight 1,000+ Posts

I can see the old-timers in Lexington grumbling already...."can't even get any bbq now with all the city folk here all the time" [​IMG]

25. DoobieWah

DoobieWah 500+ Posts

Both of my parents, and all of my family for several generations, were from Lexington.

I've never been to "Snows" but I been eating Tootsie's bbq my whole life.

First it was the Meat Market on the corner of the square across from the bank. It was a regular old fashioned meat market Monday through Friday and that's why they only have bbq on Saturday. They had two long brick pits out back.

When that closed, Tootsie opened "Tootsie's" in that same location. I knew that had closed, but I didn't know they had reopened at a different location, (according to the map link), as "Snow's".

I would stop in there on my way to afternoon games at DKR.

I've hauled many a friend through there on a Saturday morning. We would call ahead and have an order waiting to go. At that location there were no sides, just a few slices of bread and that lovely thin vinegary "mopping sauce" as the article calls it.

It is indeed some incredibly awesome stuff. (If they are still making sausage, grab a link of that too!).

[​IMG]

26. Hornius Emeritus

Hornius Emeritus 2,500+ Posts

I am not surprised to see how Coopers has fallen and how Joe Cotton's has fallen.

Coopers has been completely unimpressive the last few times I have been and Cotton's has REALLY fallen. I was there about three weeks ago and I was very disappointed to see what has become of this legendary place.

27. FAST FRED

FAST FRED 500+ Posts

I'm going right now to one of the 50, Opie's in Spicewood.

I've been there several times before and reading the list made me hundry to go again.

[​IMG]

Just got back, the ribs were good.

This place is worth a visit.

[​IMG]

28. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

i've been to all of the central texas places

mann's is ok, but ruby's on guadalupe and house park are both much better in austin

29. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

Gak...I have to agree with you on Ruby's and House Park. Both are consistent and top notch. Another local I like a lot is Sam's on East 12th street. The brisket is always outstanding, as is the chicken. Also, Sam's is open until 2:00am Sun-Thur and until 3:00am Fri-Sat.

[​IMG]

30. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

Ruby's on Guadalupe is the best overall BBQ in Austin proper. And I wouldn't eat county line if I was on food stamps.