Texas Monthly's 50 Best BBQ restaurant's article

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by swc.lives.on, Sep 9, 2008.

1. swc.lives.on

swc.lives.on 500+ Posts

First, I did a search on "Texas Monthly" and didn't find an existing thread. Feel free to correct me.

I feel pretty passionately about the topic. I live out of state and eat either BBQ or Tex Mex several times a day when I come back to visit (I live in Orlando where the food, uh, lacks character). Frankly, I was disappointed in their list. My all time favorite (Joe Cotten's in Robstown) got some kind of honorable mention while they yammered about pulled pork and made no mention at all of pinto beans. I think we could build a better list right here on Hornfans.

2. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

Go Joe Cotten's; that place is wonderful. Best sausage I have ever eaten! Was going down this weekend and stop and fill up on the way to Baffin for my BD. Ike may have something to say about that. Just like hurricane Carla, crap!

3. UTeric32

UTeric32 500+ Posts

My family used to drive 30 minutes to Joe Cottons about once a month...its truly allsome.

I try to make it there everytime I am down in the area.

4. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Angelo's in Ft. Worth.

5. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico 1,000+ Posts

sonny bryan's in dallas... [​IMG]

6. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

I had a friend from Alice who kept telling me about Joe Cotton's and how I had to go blah blah blah. This went on for years. Then one day I went and I have to say that maybe I went on an off day but the brisket was very fatty and the dining room smelled like stale urine. It had been very rainy thereabouts for awhile and maybe that was somehow the cause, but I wasn't the only one who noticed.

7. Fievel121

Fievel121 2,500+ Posts

I want someone to suggest a few places in and around Dallas. The last list I looked had something like 1 or 2 places within 100 miles of me.

8. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico 1,000+ Posts

9. immtex

immtex 100+ Posts

In no particular order...

Clark's BBQ Outpost, Tioga, TX (north of Dallas, on 377)

Black's BBQ , Lockhart TX (haven't made it to Krewz's or Smitty's but it's on my list.

Salt Lick, Driftwood TX

My house, New Braunfels TX [​IMG]

10. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

Kreuz will jump to the top of your list...go soon.

[​IMG]

11. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

I was disappointed in the Texas Monthly list as well.

12. swc.lives.on

swc.lives.on 500+ Posts

13. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

In the Metroplex my absolute favourite is David's in Pantego (which is in the middle of Arlington). It is on Park Row.

The 3 Ft. Worth places mentioned above are also very good, I just happen to like David's the most.

14. hard knock horn

hard knock horn 100+ Posts

Has anyone here ever been to North Main BBQ in Euless? My parents live in North Dallas go there and swear by it.

Also, what are the hornfans bbq expert opinion on Rudy's?

15. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

In reply to:

16. Threadkiller

Threadkiller 25+ Posts

No, they have waiters who wear black pants and red jackets.

17. RabidLonghorn

RabidLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

The best BBQ is the Dallas are is called Big Daddys Road House in Lavon.

18. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

One thought for folks that drive DFW to Austin. Stop in Belton for BBQ at Schoepf's. really really good! It is right off of I35 so not even out of the way at all. I believe it is the Central st. exit.. in Belton NOT Temple.

19. Beef

Beef 100+ Posts

I like Schoepf's as well.

20. hookem2102

hookem2102 250+ Posts

My dad loves Big Daddy's...I think it just ok.

I don't think it's worth the drive just to go there but we are out there regularly and stop in on occasion.

21. swc.lives.on

swc.lives.on 500+ Posts

22. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

Rudy's? Well, it's not Bill Miller... so it's got that going for it.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

23. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

I'm not a stickler to a place having to serve on butcher paper and no sauce or forks...but waiters/waitress sounds a little foofoo for BBQ [​IMG]

good food is good food

24. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

re: Schoepf's

I have has some awful bbq there on several recent trips. the ribs remain good. the brisket has ZERO smoke flavor, and i see no smoke ring on it either. I am convinced that it is basically "baked", wrapped tightly in foil or something, in the pit.

it is tender, but has no flavor at all.

25. UT Spring Branch

UT Spring Branch 500+ Posts

26. Alpine

Alpine 100+ Posts

Haven't been there lately, but Lufkin Barbecue in Lufkin was the tits in East Texas back in the day. Especially the sides. Fried rolls, potato salad that was served warm, mashed and heavy on the sweet piclkle, um um..

27. Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard 100+ Posts

Okay BBQ experts, your thoughts on:

Cooper's in Llano
    Hard 8 in Coppell
    Red Hot and Blue in everywhere

28. CelisHorn

CelisHorn 100+ Posts

The Country Tavern on Hwy 31 east of Tyler, near Kilgore has the best ribs I've ever eaten. All around a pretty good joint.

I grew up on Angelo's in Fort Worth and think that they're easily top 50, though I haven't been in probably 7+ years.

29. swc.lives.on

swc.lives.on 500+ Posts

I ate at the Hard 8 in Stephenville a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't bad, but not exactly transcendent, either. The sauce was sweet and honestly seemed like something you'd get out of a bottle. And my brisket was actually cold. [​IMG]

30. Y Sanchez

Y Sanchez 250+ Posts

Any BBQ list that does not include Mt. Zion Church in Huntsville is worthless.