Texas-OK State Game Thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Dionysus, Oct 22, 2022.

1. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Man, I so agree. Sonic is the pits. I so hate Sonic for running Dairy Queens out of half the towns in rural Texas.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

There was definitely a good argument for giving Card a try (not permanently switching, just a one-time deal like Mock and VY against Tx Tech in 2003), but the Clemson comparisons seem a bit spurious.

Their win, in my opinion, had little to do with the backup QB. For one thing, their defense held Syracuse scoreless in the second half. For another, with Klubnik in the game, they called 80-90% rush plays. He completed only 2 passes, 1 of which was inconsequential (for 0 yards on 3rd and 3). They won by having him handoff because they knew they could just line up against Syracuse and run the ball down their throats.

Our running game had its moments of course but in the 2nd half, we could hardly just point at a point and run the ball for repeated gains to it even if they knew it was coming. If our defense had been shutting down Okie State like that (of course, their offense is superior to Cuse's) and our running game had been able to succeed that well even when predictable, we would have won with any QB in the game, Ewers or Card, or even Wright.

3. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Stat, it wasn't a sure thing but Ewers was completely off his game. Card isn't the most accurate passer but if he is at his average he is better than Ewers today. Plus Card scrambles better. It may not have produced a win but at least it shows the coach is making changes to try to win the game. Sark sat there and did the same thing over and over again. Just like PK.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

And Cards short to medium passing game is usually spot on.
    Just score 10 more points in the second half and we win.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

More running, wildcat, short passes, screens w/ misdirection. Also, Gundy fired up his players at halftime. Texas owned the LOS in the first half. I thought OSU improved on both lines in the second half. They played physical in the trenches. Texas wilted. We didn’t wilt against ISU but did against OSU.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BornOrange0855

BornOrange0855 250+ Posts

I wish I was surprised at this outcome. But I think it's just who are: a team that will usually find a way to lose a close game. There will always be the outlier, like the comeback vs ISU or the thumping of OU. But that's fool's gold. I'm not buying any of it anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Yea,I see 8-4 down to 6-6 as the regular season record now. We need a 14 to 28 point halftime lead to win at all.

8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We got Second Half Steve again this game.

7 point halftime lead.

As a multitude of people have noted, something was wrong with Ewers. He wasn’t himself.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bishophorn

bishophorn 500+ Posts

I totally agree. Sonic is the final death keel of so many good small hamburger restaurants. I long for the day to see a Chuc Wagun hamburger again.

10. txhorn_et

txhorn_et 1,000+ Posts

With little to no passing game it doesn’t take a genius to find ways to shut a team down that is one dimensional. Texas has a way of making their opponents appear to be much better than they really are.

11. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

That’s the definition of insanity; doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

12. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

After reflection on what I watched yesterday, just some thoughts.

Big picture, this team does not seem to have an identity and it does not have a killer instinct. How many times this year (not going to worry about last year) have the Horns had the opportunity to take complete control of the game and simply failed to do so with bad play calling, bad execution, dropped pass or undisciplined penalty. Tech to begin the second half, could have ended it there, yesterday several chances to take control of the game in the second half with the defense providing the offense with plus field position. Several times in the ISU game. Defense bears some of this with its inability to stop third and long and fourth and anything. To me this starts at the top and is the responsibility of Sark and PK (I don't even know if we have an OC not named Sark) and that filters down to the position coaches.

At this point it appears that Sark is an excellent offensive coordinator when he is employed by a strong head coach (Saban for example) who can walk over and tell him to cut the crap and either start running the ball or stop trying to throw deep when you need to gain 5-10 yards. As a head coach, we will see by the end of next year if he can hold the current recruiting class together. The o-line is very inexperienced and with a year of experience and playing together should make monumental strides next year. We will take a hit with Robinson and Johnson moving on in the backfield but with consistent line play, should still be able to run effectively. However, at this point Sark's response to the other team's defensive adjustments is demonstrably poor and his play calling when Texas can take over the game or in crunch time is poor.

I don't care what PK's reputation was in the Pac-12 (or whatever), but he falls short against our opponents. His defense will not win us any ballgames ever.
    I am not a fan of a three-man front or zone defense behind it, but he insists on running it which results in a 10-20 yard game for the opposing team almost every time it is deployed. Yesterday, he kept blitzing Ford and Okie State attacked right in the middle of the field where he vacated (or close enough). The defensive line was playing pretty well shutting down the run (losing containment a couple of times on the qb) and getting pressure with four so I am not sure that blitzing a linebacker was all that necessary. With OSU's qb hurting, a corner blitz once in a while might have been better to make the qb make a long throw outside the hash marks instead of right up the middle.

Quinn Ewers was anointed as one of if not the best in college waaaaay too early. He was poor yesterday and only marginally better against ISU. He very inexperienced and should get better. Targeting Worthy something like 25 times seems excessive with our other skill positions. Ewers default in most situations seems to throw the ball deep even when five or six yards will get a first down. Qb's need a security blanket receiver for when the get in trouble who they can target without a thought. Aikman had Novacek, Colt had Shipley (and Quan), Sam had Humphrey. Ewers seems to be Worthy which would be fine except it is normally a low percentage throw forty yards downfield. Some of this may be on Sark though. The deep ball was not working but Ewers kept throwing it to nowhere. For example, the drag across the middle seemed open every time it was called which was only a couple of times that I recall.

Sark needed to adjust the running game when OSU dc adjusted to shut down the counter. Seemed that they were sending the edges hard and trying to get upfield in the interior. Running right at them out of a pistol type formation might have countered that (I would get RJ some carriers on those types f runs because he seems to be more of a downhill runner. We spent the third quarter doing the same counter on first down and then throwing the ball up on second and third without any real purpose.

Worthy is very talented, but he doesn't play big or strong when the ball is in the air it doesn't appear to me that he fights for the ball if the throw is not to his liking. Whittington (along with RJ and Bijon) is the heart and soul of this team. We needed to get him the ball and let him make a play which i think he would have done and would have given the offense (Ewers) confidence that they would overcome. We saw this several times with Humphrey in the Sugar Bowl year. It never happened.

The offensive line is what it is and, in my opinion, played well enough to win the game. As a unit they are only going to get better. Clearly need to clean up the false starts, but coaches must instill this discipline.

The defensive line played well enough and was a plus. Shut down the run and generally got consistent pressure. I don't like the three-man front or the blitz package that was used.

The defensive backfield is not that good, either because of lack of talent, inexperience, or coaching and probably a combination of all of the above. We suck at zone coverage, period. The corners can generally stay with the receivers in man to man, but their on-ball technique is poor. They often don't turn to find the ball (PI almost automatic) and when they do, they don't find it. OSU receivers played big and strong and made catches in traffic and won almost all the 50-50 balls. Our defense does not take away the middle of the field or the inside moves, seemingly ever. This has to change. Make them beat you with a sideline throw which is much more difficult for most college qb's to make.

In the end, it is the responsibility of the coaching staff to put the players in the best position to be successful and win. It just seems to me, that our coaches are magnifying the team's weaknesses and minimizing their strengths. Will this get better, who knows. If they can regroup and win out (beat the purple nemesis on the road and at home is going to be tough) and finish 9-3 and the stage is set for next year. Tank and go 6-6 or 7-5 and it may be time to start looking elsewhere. Traylor's UTSA teams seem to fight to the end, just saying. Flame away. :deadhorse::deadhorse:

• Like Like x 1
  13. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

BREAKING NEWS: Texas just got another penalty during the Dallas Cowboys game. :whiteflag:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Yep. Sonic, Braums, QuickTrip and Sooner football. Four Oklahoma businesses living off of Texas.

15. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

I did not get to watch the game but listened to a few moments. It seemed there is plenty of blame to go around. Why so many penalties? Why no penalties on the other team? Why can’t defensive backs break up passes? Soft cover? Why does Texas continue to throw deep sideline passes with tight cover when they just need yardage for a first down? Did they throw over the middle? How many receivers were used?
    It seems that not all of the studs on offense are being used. Coaching or failure for the player to show they are reliable?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  16. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Add Bank of Texas which is owned by What used to be Bank of Oklahoma. (I haven't kept up with the name changes since the 1990's, but whatever its name is, it is still the Bank of Oklahoma.)

17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Bank of Oklahoma
    Bank of Texas
    Bank of Albuquerque
    Bank of Arizona
    Banks in Colorado, Missouri, Kansas, & Arkansas operate under different names and are owned by BOK

Well run banks, but never to be confused with Barry Bank & Toby Trust in Norman