Texas-OU Game Thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Dionysus, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

The game result was very much like a result of a chess game. If you know the game of chess there are bad move and good moves.
    Lincoln bringing in williams was, no doubt, the best move of the game. That was the turning point, very similar to us bringing in thompson in the colorado game though i think we had the lead at halftime. Seems like everything williams did turned to gold.
    And Sark got away from attacking the edges in the second half which allowed OK's defense to bow up. That was a bad move.
    Bringing the ball out of the end zone on a kickoff is high risk low reward. Worthy's fumble was huge! (Starting at the 25 is perfectly acceptable). Other than that he had terrific game. ( his first catch was a lateral which should go for run yardage rather than pass yardage for a td. I don't think the stats reflect that).
    We needed to get the ball into Bijan's hands out on the edge rather than the middle ( second half).
    AND WE STILL UNDER UTILIZE K ROBINSON BECAUSE THE DEFENSE WOULD HAVE TO ACCOUNT FOR HIS BREAK AWAY SPEED ESPECIALLY IF HE HAS THE BALL ON THE OUTSIDE. THAT'S ANOTHER BAD MOVE.
    I am disappointed that Sark let off the gas at the end of the first half. He squandered time that could have been used for a couple of end zone throws.
    But mainly our defense lost this game. I don't know why defensive linemen (or anyone else for that matter) have to engage o-linemen dead in the middle of the body. When i played football i always attacked the edge of the blocker's body if i wanted to get around him. I would either bullrush his edge or step to one edge then quickly cross over and attack the other edge which would have his weight shifted to the first edge. I was very hard to block according to my teammates. I just didn't like playing around with blockers. That was always my mindset.
    I can't stand to see a ball carrier run by our tackler while he is engaging a blocker. His job is to make the tackle not to play patty cake with the blocker.

The Sooners deserve credit for making big plays out of nothing sometimes. And they deserve credit for the win coming out of halftime down 18 points.

Well Riley had a few more better moves and a few less bad moves than Sark. That's how you win at chess or on the battlefield.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  2. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Good point about K Robinson.

That last td of ou's was the equivalent of Fools Mate. We saw the same damn play a few minutes earlier and it hurt us both times. Coaches and players alike are at blame. Embarrassing, really

3. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Absolutely!

4. MeatHeadHorn

MeatHeadHorn 1,000+ Posts

Well now that the dust has settled, and I have a headache from the adrenaline crash… that first half was the team I think everyone on this board has been waiting for. Execution, energy, play calling, effort, and preparation. Even better than the flash in the pan in Sugar Bowl. Don’t know if there’s still a lingering mental edge we don’t have yet or what, but this is the kind of game this staff was hired to win. Maybe we don’t have the horses yet to truly compete with the big boys, but love the guys and this team and 11am to 1pm was the most excited I’ve been as a fan in years and still a day of hope when Xavier caught ANOTHER one at the end. Need to find a way to build on that and do what they can on defensive side of the ball. Major setback for sure. They need to post ARLINGTON all over the facilities as that’s still fully in the cards.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Wait. Did you just say Hudson “cards”?

6. MeatHeadHorn

Lol no

7. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Seems to me that if we had both Bijan and Keilan in the backfield at the same time they could both flair out to the flats and all they would have to do is catch the pass and make one person miss. Then they could gain 5 to 15 yards everytime.
    But that's not all, in this scheme the linebackers would have to flair out with them. This would leave the short middle open, a crossing receiver could be open or Thompson could rush up the middle for a decent gain. Or surely one of the Robinsons could get open on a wheel route fast as they are. All kinds of good things could happen in this scheme but Keilan never got on the field a weapon never used. WTF.
    Somebody tell me how that scheme would not work.
    That's all the more reason i am pissed. I am a couch coach and i can think of that.

• Like Like x 2
  8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

If JWhit is hurt, I think KR needs to be added to the WR sets.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

If our opening drive was scripted it was pure genius.
    OU was lost and had no idea what was coming at them.
    It seemed the second half became more vanilla.
    But we also started putting ourselves in the hole with penalties creating 3rd and 13 or 3rd and 15.
    Thus allowing their defense to pin their ears back and nullifying the run game.
    We definitely don't have the horses in the trenches on either side of the line yet.
    May need to scour the portal next spring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

Piss poor defense.............48 pts and you cant win including a 28-7 lead..........thats on the defense.........

PS......I will say the "O" coulda helped out a little in the 2nd Half.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Yea, the penalties and three and outs didn't help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MeatHeadHorn

I’m not sure Sark understood how fast or violently momentum could shift. The offense needed to at least have good drives in 3rd quarter to stem the growing tide. Having sacks and 3 and outs in OU’s end of the stadium just put more blood in the water and got them more momentum and changed the atmosphere. Then we had multiple illegal procedure penalties in our own end, I was beside myself. Defense still gave up almost 700 yards. That can’t be washed over.

• Like Like x 1
  13. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

The momentum can swing so damn fast in that stadium.

• Agree Agree x 6
  14. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

The energy melted away, whether fatigue or mental psyche I don’t know but from the stands it was obvious.
    And to your point Meathead, no, I do not think we have the horses yet. Maybe Sark can bring them in, don’t know, but we have to admit to ourselves we aren’t the ‘big dogs’ we once were or as some still think we are.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

But that would eliminate the ability to blame everything on the coaches. Players win football games. You can't make a silk purse out of sow's ear.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Still in a state of total bewilderment, trying to get my head around what I witnessed yesterday.

So little desire to comment here today. I have so many thoughts but many of you have already stated most of them.

Maybe I will come back up for air later in the week, after I recover, a little....

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. MeatHeadHorn

Correct. We have to be honest and acknowledge we don’t have the defensive talent we think we do. Outside of a few D lineman and Agent 0. We don’t have the O-line either and we haven’t for a decade. Plus 3 DCs of bad habits built up. But we still have the talent to win the big 12 and this game. Which is why I’m not calling for any coaches heads. Arlington

18. Luthor Billis

Luthor Billis 100+ Posts

I was so very excited for the first three quarters of the game, then watched as our Horns completely fell apart. I am so very sick and tired of the Longhorns simply giving up and falling all over themselves when they think that they have it in their pocket. We folded. Folded badly and ashamedly. To every player -- welcome to the Alamo Bowl AGAIN.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Luthor Billis

Luthor Billis 100+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • poop poop x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

We didn't give up.
    We scored another td near the end of the game. We had missed opportunities. We got away from what was working inn the first half. Bad decisions allowed them time to catch on fire. We could have ran the clock down more before we scored at the end. We needed to play for that.
    The players didn't give up, we got outcoached.
    So on the one hand Sark made this game very close. On the other hand he made some tactical bad moves that cost us the game. Hope he learns. Hope he sits with the staff to find out why we lost and what we could have done better.

• Like Like x 2
  21. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

I don't think the team quit. Played stupid a few times like returning 2 kicks in the 2nd half. But they still went down the field to tie the game. That's not quitting. D was gassed. There is serious lack of speed at a few positions. Coaching though makes me wonder. I know they changed QB but to say you're not prepared for the counter tre playing OU? That's not good. And you attack the edges all 1st half but abandon that strategy in the 2nd. That's a mistake. And if they're keying on BR, the sweeps should be used to make them cover side to side (and queue that the Cowboys run the sweep on 4th and 2 for a first down).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I still have faith in Sark.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Our opening "drive" was a pass behind the LOS that Worthy turned from a 2 yard gain into a 75 yard gain by making three defenders miss.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. MeatHeadHorn

Took this to mean our opening 15-20 plays. Which were brilliant by the way

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  25. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Yea, I was actually thinking of the drives after that that consisted of more than one play. :)
    And that's the point of that play.
    Getting a player like Worthy in space where he can make things happen.
    There was an initial block thrown on the outside and Worthy's stiff arm of the next guy sent him off to the races.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I think we should put Kerstetter back at RT, Angilau back at LG, and move up Imade or Conner at RG. Our run game puts such a premium on maintaining the edge, and Karic just wasn't getting it done. We refused to abandon that off-tackle zone style. Robinson had 3 "good" runs all game.

It wouldn't be tough to mimic what OU was doing with their counter all game. Even Roschon could get some more play time in.

At WR, we're basically selling everything to get it to Worthy every play, so I don't see anything wrong with flexing out Wiley/Brewer and then add in a little bit more Washington, Woodard, and Dixon. I have yet to see them make any "bad" plays.

27. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Texas RB Bijan Robinson: "I think we’re going to be OK. We’re actually pretty positive right now. This loss sucks, but we’ll bounce back and get ready for next week."

Get your head up.

• Hot Hot x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  28. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

We definitely need a change, but anything that has #70 watching the action from the sideline instead of the middle of the field is good with me, and that includes giving him one of my tickets to watch with me.

29. BornOrange0855

BornOrange0855 250+ Posts

To me, this a big issue with Texas. For whatever reason, our culture is that we pucker up every time a game gets close, or the other team gains momentum. OU's culture does the opposite. Their players rise to super human feats. We fold. We might have been gassed, tired, hot, dehydrated, whatever excuse you want to use. Tough spit. That's the game you play. OU's players came through when they had to; ours didn't.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  30. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Skill position players can come in and Jane an immediate impact. Look at BJ and Worthy. I mean DAMN! OL and DL typically have to mature and work a little. Be patient.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1