Texas Rangers 2017 Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by FWHORN, Jan 21, 2017.

1. djimaplon

djimaplon 250+ Posts

Could not ask for better weather on opening day. Too bad the Rangers could not hold off the tribe for the W. Rougie was a beast early, but Miller made him look pretty bad in the 8th. I thought I saw Barnette in the bullpen warming up with Bush 7th. I thought it was curious they let Bush pitch the eighth too. Strangely, I called the bottom of the ninth exactly, Gallo - K, Elvis - Hit, Profar - K, Gomez - K.

2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Gomez, Gallo, Napoli and Profar each had 2 K's. With that spread in the batting order it is no wonder the Rangers could only score on HR's. At least Gomez hit that homer that has yet to land.

3. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

I got to witness in person Dyson's second straight ninth inning meltdown tonight as the Rangers blow a 6-4 lead in the ninth and lose 9-6. With the loss the Rangers start the year 0-3 and this series highlighted a lot of issues becoming more and more obvious. The pitching staff has walked 14 batters in 27 innings and is giving up long balls at an alarming rate through just three games. Conversely the Rangers batters while hitting some really pretty home runs of their own have struck out a ridiculous 34 times in 27 innings. Darvish and Hamels both struggled in their first starts but both handed off leads to the bullpen in hold/save situations and both were not helped out at all. The season is just three games old and Cleveland is the kind of team that will exploit every weakness so its not the sky is falling time by any stretch but its not a good start and its a clear warning bell that unless things change this could be a long year in Arlington.:texasflag:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  4. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Rangers finally get into win column tonight as they beat the A's 10-5. Odor and Mazara continue their hot starts as both homer and have multi hit games. AJ Griffin was not solid on the mound and in spite of being staked to an 8-0 lead didnt get out of the fourth. Claudio comes in and pitches 3 2/3 of strong work to get the win. This potent Ranger offense is something to watch especially on nights like tonight when they only strikeout 4 times and make solid contact. :texasflag:

5. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Even with the great offensive output last night, the Rangers need to get the pitching staff straightened out - and quickly. They will not be able to score ten runs every time out - there will be times when pitching needs to hold up for a 2-1 or 3-2 win, and right now, that's not so. But we're only four games into the season, not yet time to panic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

Another blown lead by Dyson.
    Already time to send his *** to RR to try and get his **** together.

7. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Hamels sees his second straight game blown by Dyson in the ninth as Sammy D give up 3 runs in bottom of ninth and for the third year in a row the Rangers "closer" starts season just horrifically bad. Much like Feliz in 2015 and Tolleson last year I dont see how Dyson continues to be the closer with Bush on this staff. The Rangers have now lost two leads and a third tie ballgame because of Dyson blowing up in the ninth in just their first 7 games. Not Good!

8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

FW is correct - we have seen this act before. With all of the holes this team has this season, the Rangers cannot afford to slip much further as this team as currently configured is not strong to make -up 8-10 games late July through the end of the season.

9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The DMN quoted the Ranger Assistant GM stating that Beltre's injury recovery should be measured in weeks - not days. From personal experience it takes older guys to heal from any injury. Keep holding your breath when Gallo appears.

10. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Rangers bounce back to take series against Angels with two 8-3 wins. Griffin got win in game two and then Yu Darvish went 7 full giving up no runs and tallying 10 strikeouts in the rubber match. As Viper noted above looks like Beltre may not be back until May so Gallo will hold down third for a couple more weeks. He hasn't looked completely lost at the plate which is very encouraging though the sample size is admittedly small. On to Seattle for three then Oakland for three in this nine game road trip.:texasflag:

11. HornHuskerDad

I'm actually impressed - so far - with Gallo's approach to hitting. He is recognizing the strike zone much better, and is making better contact (even taking pitches the other way and up the middle). We'll see how much he has learned about making adjustments - I'm sure opposing pitchers will start making adjustments and he'll need to counter those to remain effective. He is holding down Beltre's position pretty well - but I still want to see AB back in the lineup soon.

12. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Gallo has been the surprise so far, leading the team in walks, being patient at the plate and playing well at third. He is not Beltre and I too cant wait for Adrian to come back but I have to admit my complete lack of faith in Gallo has proven through ten games to be wrong. Rangers lose a 2-1 affair in Seattle as King Felix dominates last night, nothing you can really do when he is on like he was last night. Five more games in this first long road trip of year.:texasflag:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  13. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

Dyson blows another one. 3 blown saves, 3 losses so far. :brickwall:
    Another hard luck no-decision for Cole.
    :facepalm:

14. HornHuskerDad

I'm ready to turn the closer role over to Bush. Dyson has lost it totally. Four blown saves???

15. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

In an alternate world Cole Hamels is 3-0, Dyson has 3 saves and a win and the Rangers have started the year 8-4 but thanks to Dyson's complete meltdown to start the year the Rangers sit in last place in the west at 4-8. You cant win the west in April/May but you dang sure can lose it and the rangers better wake up soon or 2017 will be a long painful season.

• Like Like x 1
  16. HornHuskerDad

FWHORN, I agree. All you have to do is look at the early hole the Astros dug for themselves last season. Rangers really need a sweep in Oakland to get back to a reasonable position. And JD needs to come up with a fix for the bullpen ASAP - and it wouldn't hurt for the RH batters to start hitting a bit.

17. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Dyson is headed to DL and then apparently to Frisco or Round Rock for rehab, meanwhile Kela is recalled because cancer in the clubhouse or not the Rangers need relievers they can count on. AJ Griffin gives the Rangers six scoreless as they halt the losing streak last night with a 7-0 win in Oakland. Jeffress pitched again last night which means has now appeared in 9 of the 14 games, his arm may fall off by June at that rate.:texasflag:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  18. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Let's hope Griffin comes back strong again in his next start. If he can the SP's should be in good shape.

19. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

20. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

He was good until he was bad. This has happened several times in the past and is one reason why the Rangers are hesitant to pull the trigger on an extension (injuries being the other). Unfortunately for the Rangers someone will think that they have the pitching coach that will unlock consistency from Darvish and offer him real crazy money.

21. HornHuskerDad

Viper, I fear you're right. And the Rangers will end up having to (a) pay someone equivalent to Darvish a ton of money or (b) settle for a lesser talent to fill the rotation. Sooner or later (hopefully sooner) management will realize that they need to make a change in minor-league pitching approach - in order to develop some pitching talent on the farm so they can control a good, young pitcher for three to five years. Otherwise, they will continually shell out big money to free agents and hope they get a decent return.

22. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

You are right HHD. About the best thing the Rangers can do at this point is trade him before the trading deadline. They should be able to pick-up a front line MLB player and a couple of Minor Leaguers.

23. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Rangers get drilled by A's 9-1 this afternoon, they go 3-6 on this first road trip of the season and now stand at 5-10 and in dead last in the AL West. They have started slow before and then made runs through the summer but they are digging one heck of a hole.

24. HornHuskerDad

Nailed it, FWHORN. Ten game homestand coming up starting tomorrow. MUST go at least 7-3 on the homestand - that would get them essentially back to .500 at 12-13. Anything less than that and the hole gets deeper - and Houston is currently playing pretty well.

• Like Like x 1
  25. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Two news items this morning, Griffin has, I kid you not, gout, and is going on the 10 day DL. Nick Martinez called up to pitch tonight in his place. Also the Josh Hamilton saga may finally be at an end as Rangers have released him again.

http://www.lonestarball.com/2017/4/21/15390886/a-j-griffin-to-the-disabled-list

http://www.lonestarball.com/2017/4/21/15388740/texas-rangers-release-josh-hamilton

Meanwhile Hamels got his first win of year last night as Rangers beat KC for second night in a row. The Astros are surging early and putting some distance on the rest of the division so to even stay in contact with Houston the Rangers are going to have to start stringing together consistent win streaks.:texasflag:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  26. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

If the Rangers can get Thursday's bullpen performance consistently they will be ok. With 19 games with the Astro's remaining, not to worried right now. However, anyone who dismisses Seattle could end up surprised.

27. HornHuskerDad

Thank goodness Gallo is filling in admirably while Beltre is out. His average is still not great, but he is being more disciplined at the plate and accepting walks - and we saw last night that he can hit his pitch a long way. Maybe the RF stand should be declared a "hard-hat area" when he comes to bat.

I still believe they need to go at least 7-3 on this homestand. Houston keeps winning and putting some distance on the other contenders in the AL West. And I agree with Viper - it's a mistake to count Seattle out at this time. The pundits predicted that it would be a three-team race to the AL West title, and it looks like it could play out that way. Depends on which team fares best against the injury bug over the season.

28. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

We will be out there tonight (after I dig a heavy coat out of stotage). It will be interesting seeing if Martinez has learned any thing.

• Like Like x 1
  29. HornHuskerDad

^Viper, hope you have a terrific time tonight at The Ballpark. I'll leave the cheering up to you tonight - I'm taking Mrs. HHD to the Rich Little performance at the Arlington Music Hall tonight (although I'll silence my cell and check the score every now and then).. I hereby task you with getting another W for the Rangers - and a solid 5+ innings from Martinez will go a long way toward getting that W.

• Like Like x 1
  30. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thanks HHD. If they lose I will make the grand kids walk back to Frisco!