Texas Rangers 2018 Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by ViperHorn, Nov 6, 2017.

1. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Rangers have stumbled out of all star break as the oppressive north Texas heat is just making baseball games miserable to play and watch. Rangers are on pace to win somewhere between 64 and 68 games making my prediction of 67 wins still very make able. I am not huge fan of the decision to replace the Ballpark but the weather this month is making the new stadium with a/c and retractable roof look very appealing, any thoughts I even remotely entertained of going to games has been killed by the 107 degree temps at first pitch.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Same here FW. Even with the low ticket prices sitting in an oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours watching bad MLB baseball isn't my idea of a good time.

3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Q: 16 for 72

A: Rangers record with the bases loaded

4. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Totally agree, FWHORN. I would add one wish to that wish list - find a way to have natural grass (Seattle and Houston have grass in their retractable dome stadia, so it can be done). On second thought, I want to add one more wish to the wish list - how about fielding a competitive team!

• Like Like x 1
  5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

^^^^ HHD, the only reason that natural grass hasn't been chosen is that the owners want turf so they can have concerts and other events at the stadium. All those who know say natural grass can be grown even at 50 feet below ground level (where the playing field will be).

6. HornHuskerDad

Understand, Viper. But it is being built primarily as a BASEBALL facility - and the quality of the baseball game should be consideration number one, as far as I'm concerned. Baseball is best played on grass, not carpet.

7. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I know HHD; if they put turf in all of the "good" PR of an indoor stadium from a player's viewpoint will disappear.

8. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Meanwhile on the field last night the Rangers blew a 10-2 lead and lost 13-10. They seem hell bent on taking their brand of bad baseball to a whole new level.

9. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

at last they did it on real grass!

10. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I keep thinking that the latest clunker is the bottom. However, that demonstration last night has to be the bottom.

11. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Rangers get swept by Oakland, the trade bait players all spit the bit as Hamels got shelled in his last couple of starts, Kela blew a save and anyone else anyone might be interested in isnt stepping up either. Delino got sent down to minors again, all in all Arlington is just a wet hot mess.

12. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

FW, unfortunately, Khris Davis gets another shot at the Rangers tonight (it is a 4 game series).

13. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Viper, so your saying Rangers have another chance to blow a lead late against Oakland tonight and show the A’s continued mastery of all things Texas Ranger baseball. Man I hate Oakland with a white hot passion.

14. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

It all started when Hamilton dropped that fly ball.

15. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

A's actually finish the sweep I prematurely called as Rangers fall 20 games under .500 and though he gave the Rangers seven full innings, Colon fails in his fourth attempt to break his tie with Dennis Martinez as Latin America's all time winningest pitchers and take that slot solely for himself.

In much more significant news, Hamels trade to Cubs is done apparently though he was in dug out last night.

https://sports.yahoo.com/cubs-acquire-veteran-starter-cole-hamels-trade-rangers-005301539.html

16. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

it's been a loooong time since we bought low and sold high.

17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

He left the dugout in the 3rd.

18. HornHuskerDad

Probably not realistic to expect a hot prospect in trade for Hamels. And teams seem very reluctant to trade hot prospects for a short-term rental. JD is going to have to learn (1) how to draft future superstars (as the Astros have) and (2) develop them in the minors. Signing Free Aents still appears viable, but getting a team to trade off hot prospects is not currently in vogue.

19. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

JD's ability to judge young talent seems to have gone down since Nolan left.

Just saying ...

20. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

And because baseball is baseball the Rangers end their losing streak and absolutely drum the Houston Astros 11-2 last night down at Minutemaid.

21. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Rangers beat Houston on Saturday 7-3 to clinch this three game series with one more to come on Sunday, strange stat the Rangers are 5-3 down in Minutemaid this year against one of best two teams in baseball this season, baseball is a strange game.

22. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

What your mother always told you - lightning can strike twice in the same place so don't play in a thunderstorm. The in-the-park- HR was an event to see.

23. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Rangers win this afternoon to finish sweep, they already lost the silver boot so this improbable sweep doesn’t mean much of anything other than proving the old any given series adage, still, beating Keuchel, Verlander and McCullers in successive days is pretty good and that it was done with the building blocks for future gives some hope in this otherwise dreary season.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  24. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

The Rangers are to the Astros in the AL what the Padres were to the Astros in the NL.

25. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

26. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Unfortunately, this trade will be one that the Rangers will probably regret in a few years, but one they had to make.

Of more concern is Gallo. He is completely lost at the plate. If the Rangers are not going to find instructional help for him surely some National League team (Rangers do not want to face him in the AL after someone figures him out) would take him for something. The issue has to be his size and eye/hand movement speed not keeping up with major league pitches causing him to guess on the pitch and location. Bigger but lighter bat? Glasses? Different stance? Once he has some positive development then he can quit guessing at the plate which in itself will help.

27. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Gallo is probably going to hit 40 dingers again this year while hitting at a sub .200 average. Really hard to let a player go who hits that many home runs and I don’t expect Daniels to let him go unless someone made a truly crazy trade offer.

28. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

40 dingers a plus - 196 K's (2017) and 144 (so far in 2018) bigger minus. Not hearing any talk of anyone wanting him. If the Rangers want to keep him they are going to have to find him a successful hitting instructor of similar physical size.

29. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

30. HornHuskerDad

So far I think JD did about as well as possible under the circumstances - and he did restock the farm system a bit. Time will tell how well they develop in the minors.