Texas Rangers 2018 Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by ViperHorn, Nov 6, 2017.

1. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Starting to seem like Beltre will hang 'em up after the season. IMO, the only objective left for him to achieve individually would be 500 HR. He's currently at 476 - does he think there's a chance he could stay healthy enough to hit 24 more next season? If so, he might give it one more season; if not, I think he's retiring - and waiting five years for the call from Cooperstown.

3. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

4. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I wish I could muster the enthusiasm for Gallo that FW has. The dingers are nice (the one last night was a real shot), but the 200 K's (some in very critical situations with RISP and the game on the line) are a real drag. We can only hope that the new staff will include someone who can finally figure Gallo out.
    Speaking of the new staff, don't count A-Rod out. Yes he was an a-hole as a player, but he knows hitting and the game.

5. HornHuskerDad

Viper, what role would you see for A-Rod? Hitting coach?

6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Manager

7. HornHuskerDad

^Interesting thought, Viper. But IMO, the Rangers are likely to go with Wakamatsu - JD knows him and the players know him. And he has prior managerial experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

You are probably correct on Wakamatsu HHD, but he isn't the 2020 manager they need so it might be a short marriage.

9. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

The Rangers will be awful next year so expect short term placeholder at manager ahead of "splash" hire for 2020.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I hope they are just awful in 2019, and that they do not slip into god-awful territory.

• Like Like x 1
  11. HornHuskerDad

Well, another season of Rangers baseball has ended - and the experts were correct on their predictions for the team (dead last in the division). I'm hunting for a reason to be more optimistic about next season - and so far, I can't find one. If there is a magic solution to the pitching situation, I hope JD finds it - but not very optimistic.

I do like the youth of the position players - there is room for each of them to grow and improve. Now, what can they do with Choo and his salary? And will Beltre come back for one more season and the long-shot chance to end his career with 500 HRs?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Right there with you HHD. Next season actually could be uglier than this season. Be ready to be barraged with commercials stressing how great it is going to be in the new ballpark. They need 4 starters and a new bullpen. I don't see signing 2 much less than 4 before 2019 starts.

13. HornHuskerDad

Viper, I think I'll partially disagree with you. IMO, the bullpen is in much better shape than the rotation. Leclrec looks like a keeper for closer. Claudio is a serviceable lefty. Sadczek (sp?) has potential.
    However, I definitely agree with you on the rotation - it's a shambles. The young starters in the minors need more experience in the minors before coming up, and the current starters (with the possible exception of Minor) won't cut it. And there's not an easy fix available.
    You're unfortunately correct - 2019 doesn't offer a lot of reason to be optimistic.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  14. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I meant to say LeClerc was the only keeper, but the remainder will turnover at least once before 2020. That is just the way relievers roll.
    Wakamatsu will probably get the job , but he is a dead man walking as ownership will want a "name" manager in the new building.

15. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Rangers won 67 this year, hard to see anything better than that next year and probably a little worse as they push 100 losses.