Texas Rangers 2020/2021 Hot Stove

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by ViperHorn, Oct 31, 2020.

1. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Longhorn football sucks; Cowboys suck more than normal; so all that is left is discussing what the Rangers can/will do prior to Training Camp opens (hopefully on time in February).

The issues that I see are:
    - what to do with Gallo
    - how to rebuild starting pitching
    - finding a permanent position for Solak which means
    --- dealing with Andrus and Odor
    --- dealing with Center and Left Fields

2. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

^Hi, Viper, glad you started the Hot Stove thread. I do have one thought - looks to me like Taveras is the CF for the future. Don't have any particular thought on LF - is that a spot for Solak? As for starting pitchers - they may try to sign Kluber to a deal at a lower price - he certainly wouldn't command much on the Free Agent market. Allard has potential - hope they develop him for the rotation. Given the youth movement, I don't see JD throwing a bunch of money at the FA market - better to concentrate on player development in the minors (assuming the minors have a season next year).

3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

^^HHD, It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall when they are discussing Solak. Second or Left is the question. They want Odor at second, but that violates the stated mantra of sitting those who do not produce.

The MLB game itself will start suffering without another minor league season. However COVID just isn't going away. Qantas has already said they will not be flying to the US until next October, and the UK Government came out today saying that they seriously doubt if they will lift the quarantine that goes into effect this week after the announced 4 weeks.

4. HornHuskerDad

Absolutely correct, Viper. There has to be some way for the minor league prospects to develop - otherwise there can't be a smooth progression of players into the Major League teams. The minor leagues have to be funded somehow - hope the system comes up with a solution.

5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

At least A and AA levels because that is where the youngsters develop. AAA guys generally know what to do so they should be able to take care of themselves. Maybe have MLB teams "share" minor league teams reducing the number of minor league organizations and frictional expenses.

6. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

I saw over the weekend that the Rangers did not pick up Kluber's option which given that they got all of an inning out of him makes sense. I agree they might re-sign him at lower amount but you have to wonder what he has after almost two full seasons on injury list.

Gallo is the great unknown he hits such bombs but is a strikeout waiting to happen and that is just so frustrating. If he was a 40 HR and 100 RBI guy I could live with the K's but he isnt a 100 RBI guy because there isnt the team around him to have baserunners on when he does hit those bombs. Gallo would be great if the Rangers had a lineup around him but without it he is exciting to watch cause its going to be feast or famine but not much more than that.

I would love to cut bait with Odor, he just keeps getting second third fourth chances to produce and he doesnt. However, I suspect that is not JD's plan so I expect him out there again next year flailing around.

Given the course covid has taken and its current resurgence its likely that 2021 will also be impacted whether through truncated spring training or through limited minor leagues. Will baseball play 162 games next year? Will there be fans in the stands at most games and if so full capacity or limited? Its hard to see the Rangers doing a whole lot of spending if 2021 revenue is going to be severely limited by Covid related restrictions.

7. HornHuskerDad

Great point, FWHORN. Homers produce runs when there are men on base ahead of the homer - and the Rangers haven't done that very well.
    If you remember Earl Weaver, his winning philosophy was "pitching, defense, and the three-run homer." You only get the three-run homer if you can get two men on base ahead of the homer.

8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Gallo needs a good shrink as well as a superior batting coach to turn the K's into line-drive doubles spread around the field. He would be a real weapon then with his and arm in right field.

9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

10. HornHuskerDad

More good news - Kiner-Falefa and Gallo win Gold Gloves.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

12. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

^^^
    Gallo's problems are at the plate - definitely not in the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. HornHuskerDad

^True. Gallo is a superb defender in RF - he covers ground, makes the catch, and has a plus arm. If he can clear his head and get his offensive numbers into "acceptable" (by that I'm thinking .260 average, 40 HR, 100+ RBI), then he will be an All-Star every year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

15. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

2020 Rangers yearbook is up and monthly mag is now online, here is link to digital copies.

Rangers Publications

• Hot Hot x 1
  16. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  17. WillUSAF

WillUSAF 500+ Posts

Thanks!!

18. HornHuskerDad

Good to hear that Round Rock may be the AAA affiliate for the Rangers - much closer for calling players up to Arlington. Also, it sounds like the Ryans may be open to reestablishing relationships with the Rangers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Just got text that Chris Young being named GM of Rangers and Daniels staying on as President but haven't seen confirmation on interwebnet yet.

20. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

This is a weird move. Chris Young is pretty inexperienced, and if Daniels wasn't cutting it as GM (and he wasn't), then why "kick him upstairs?"

22. HornHuskerDad

^Agree. I don't understand the reasoning behind this move - guess we'll have to watch the next few days to see how it develops.

23. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Talking about coming out of left field. JD hasn't set the world on fire and there are issues with the new building that are going to cost to correct. Young should know how to build a solid team.

Why kick JD upstairs? CEO's want analytical types to blame when things go to s**t.

24. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Not trying to be combative, but how do we know that? What solid teams has he built in the past? This is something that bugs me. It seems like we tend to hire rookies for the GM gig - did it with Daniels, Melvin, and Grieve (with a fairly brief tenure with John Hart mixed in). None of them had ever been a GM before, and sure enough, all three had major player development problems. We seem to do it with coaches and managers quite a bit too.

That's probably true, but if a CEO kicks upstairs a guy everybody knows wasn't good at his job in the first place, I'm blaming the CEO.

25. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Very few above-average GMs in MLB and none will be coming to Texas. Young has the solid baseball participation background that JD lacks. JD was lost in judging talent by himself after he ran Ryan off and the two assistants got better jobs (both have made strides after taking over their GM jobs). In this case, the CEO is the Owner and yes there are issues with that group.

26. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

27. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

28. HornHuskerDad

Apparently the Rangers got a pretty decent prospect for the rotation, as well as a slightly riskier starter. Probably needed to do this to position for a rebuild - Lance Lynn can give the Sox a decent year or two when they are trying to contend, and his talents would be wasted on a Ranger team that is a couple (or more) years away from contending. Better to hope the farm system can develop the prospects to be ready in a year or two.

29. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Ragers back in with the Round Rock Express.

30. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

We are getting mixed signals from MLB as to the 2021 season. Earlier this week they indicate the season had a "high probability" of being less than 162 games. Yesterday they told the clubs to start Spring Training as scheduled.

Evidently, they want fans in the stands at all stadiums so the chances of starting on schedule are slim.