Texas Rangers 2020 Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by ViperHorn, Jan 7, 2020.

1. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Ha, yes I can recall that. I was really young, but that was fun. My favorite memory was when the Lone Ranger came to the park. I got his autograph and ended up on the cover a later Program.

This would be more useful if I had a pic of that.

2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

My lasting impression of Turnpike/Arlington stadium is 10¢ Beer Night 1973. To say the outfield seats (which outnumbered the infield seats) were controlled confusion would be putting it mildly.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

For what it is worth the Rangers will be streaming their Intrasquad games at 6 tonight, Wednesday and Thursday at www.rangers.com. In last night's game, Chirinos and Calhoun both suffered injuries.

• Like Like x 1
  4. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Happened to catch Norm Hitzges on my lunch break and the discussion surrounded whether this is the best Ranger starting rotation in a while and maybe ever. That combined with an outfield of Gallo, Santana and Calhoun, an infield of Frazier at 1B, Odor/Solak at 2B, Andrus at SS and Kiner-Falefa at 3B with Chirinos behind the plate is a pretty good basis for an argument that the Rangers will be contenders this year.

Over a 162 game season they wouldn't be Houston level strong but in a 60 game sprint they have a real chance to not just compete with the Astros but maybe even finish ahead of them. Norm focused also on fact that 22 of their first 27 games are against teams that were sub .500 last year so they have a real chance to get off to a fast start. He also noted that Kluber, Minor et al are all throwing 80-90 plus pitches in the intrasquad games indicating they can go 6 plus innings from the get go keeping some of the pressure off the bullpen which is the big question mark for this team.

I have to admit my Ranger fan excitement meter is at about a level 8.:texasflag:

(Plus its a great distraction from the ongoing ugliness of the On the Field board).

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I am with you on the "On the Field" ugliness, but sometimes an outlet to blow-off steam is good for the longer term.

The starting rotation is good and one would think that even over a 162 game schedule they could hold their own. I think Woodward is doing his best to put the best 8 everyday players on the field/turf, but I fear the front office is going to hamstring him somewhat.

The even better news is with the DH in both leagues, some NL teams are going to be looking for a DH. Hello Shin Choo!

6. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

I still have confidence in the starting rotation - if everyone performs to potential and stays healthy, the Rangers have a real shot. I'd like to see Guzman hit well - he is an excellent defensive player at 1B, and if he can hit for power, he should be a fixture at 1B for quite a while. Add in consistency from Rougie (I know, that's asking a lot!) and they have a solid line-up.

Unfortunately I won't be able to go to any games this season, even if they open the stadium for fans. Lucky me - I have developed a bone spur on my left heel, right where the Achilles tendon attaches. I'm in a walking boot, waiting for the doctor to decide what to do. Walking long distances is not an option for me until I get this fixed. So - if they open the stadium for fans, some of you other Ranger zealots will have to carry the load for me this season.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  7. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Hang in there HHD! I suspect that it will be next year before any of us get to go to baseball games so hey silver lining to otherwise crappy experience.

8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Mind the doctors HHD!

9. HornHuskerDad

^Yes, Dear! :)

10. HornHuskerDad

I was listening to the radio on the way to the store for an errand for the wife. The guys were discussing the start of the baseball season. One of the topics was the universal DH for this season, and one of the guys opined that it would become the norm for the future. I'm against it - surely I'm not the only baseball purist left!

Think of the pitchers who could help themselves handling the bat - Spahn, Drysdale, Gibson, just to name a few. Drysdale was used as a pinch-hitter every now and then. I also like to see a well-executed sacrifice bunt - that's an art that is dying in baseball today. There's a lot more strategy for NL managers - double-switch when making a pitching change, for example. Also, a pitcher is less likely to throw a hard brushback pitch high and tight if he knows he'll be coming to the plate himself later in the game. I definitely think NL baseball is the right way to play the game.

The announcers also pointed out a piece of trivia - the Texas Rangers have played (or will, after opening game today) in three ballparks. They opened in old Turnpike Stadium in 1972, in The Ballpark in 1994, and now Globe Life in 2020 - all three of those seasons were affected by shortened schedules (the first two by labor issues, this year by the pandemic). Guess we'll need to be careful next time they open a new venue.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Right there with you on the DH HHD.

12. HornHuskerDad

Well, Opening Day is over - and the Rangers displayed pretty decent pitching to beat the Rockies, 1-0. Step 1 in going 60-0 for the season - well, you have no chance of winning them all if you don't win the first one!

I watched on Fox SW (Chanel 676 on Directv). Sounded as though they did a decent job of piping in crowd noise - the cardboard cutouts showed a bit of originality, too, but it's still not like having fans in the stands.

13. SlothHorn

SlothHorn 25+ Posts

I too grew up a child of Arlington Stadium. My best memory is as follows...

Senior year at Garland High, a few of us decide to do a skip day and catch a Ranger game. One of the group is somewhat obnoxious (Sooner fan) and decides he's going to show out the entire game. Sings the anthem off-key super loud, tries to start the wave at ridiculous times, etc...

Sometime around the 4th inning, a foul ball gets hit near us. Jeremy (the jackass) dives across the aisle and under a seat to retrieve the ball. As he's walking back to us with a huge grin on his face, he is suddenly attacked from behind. The seat he dove under was occupied by a young woman holding a baby. Not sure if she was pissed about losing the ball or the fact that he invaded her space, but it was on. She starts beating the piss out of him. The crowd begins cheering. (You really had to be there to see how many people he was annoying/pissing off before this event.) He doesn't dare defend himself as the attacker is female. Eventually, he hands her the ball and slinks back to his seat.

I'm not sure my other friends and I have ever laughed so hard. The best part was that this old, 70+ guy a few rows down turns around and yelled, "Serves ya' right ya' ********". The next day, we talked someone into putting the following on the electronic billboard in the school cafeteria, "Jeremy. How does it feel to get beat up by a chick?". Good times.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

I only saw one game at the old Arlington stadium as I didn't move to DFW until the mid 90's after law school. My enduring memory of walking into that stadium for the first time is thinking, dang this is just an erector set of a park. It looked like they just kept building on to the original until it was just a mish-mash of stands and steel.

Now the first time I walked into the Ballpark I was in awe of its grandeur. I get the whole heat keeping attendance down and affecting competitive ability over the course of a season but I am really going to miss that an incredible walk over the creek, past the Dr. Pepper little league field and up to the home plate entrance. Somehow the Home Depot superstore look of the new stadium at least from the outside doesn't have the same feel.

Lynn threw over 100 pitches last night and from how the line up has looked this week the Rangers are going to need some pretty incredible pitching to have any chance because their bats look awful. Cant win consistently if only getting 1-2 runs.

15. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Arlington Stadium was nice when the DFW Spurs played there. Having to sit in the outfield when the Rangers moved in killed the stadium for me since reserved seating on a college student's summer job wages didn't work out.

16. HornHuskerDad

Well, not good news today - Kluber lasted one inning before leaving with "shoulder tightness." Bad for him and for the Rangers - the team was counting on him to become a mainstay in the rotation. Reportedly he will be examined tomorrow to assess the injury.

Meanwhile, the Rangers are down 3-2, top of the fifth.

17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

They did their best to up the pitching staff. Unfortunately, the offense looks about like last season.

18. HornHuskerDad

^Right, Viper. They certainly had a lot of chances to win Game 2 yesterday, which would have cinched the series win. Today the offense looked pretty anemic. 5 runs scored in 3 games won't win very many series. They need to wake the bats up - and do so quickly before the shortened season slips away.

BTW, the TV guys reported that the Astros lost Verlander for the season. I'm thinking that probably puts the A's in the driver's seat for the AL West.

19. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

It certainly will make for a closer race, but the Astros' offense is still stout.

20. HornHuskerDad

^True - but now the Astros of 2020 are missing both Cole and Verlander from 2019. And the A's were hot on their trail last year.

21. SlothHorn

SlothHorn 25+ Posts

Watching these guys bat is absolutely brutal. And, keep in mind, the Rockies had one of the worst pitching staffs in the NL last year. I know, hitter's ballpark and all... But, 5 runs in 3 games? And, IIRC, 2 of them (Game 2) were unearned.

22. HornHuskerDad

Reports are saying shoulder strain for Kluber - at least four weeks on the IL. Rangers are reportedly adding Kolby Allard to the rotation.

23. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Hopefully Allard will show something. After 3 games the offense has shown nothing, zip. At the end if last season Woody said failure to perform would earn a stretch on the bench. We will see.

The bigger news of course is the 11 Marlins who have tested positive. Making things worse is the fact that they played Sunday with 4 known positive cases. Hopefully the Phillies will be ok and the season can continue.

24. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like the Rangers may shut Kluber down for season. Baseball is still happening but the Miami situation better get resolved quick or this whole season may get shut down after just a couple of days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

All the pitching in the world doesn't mean a darn thing if you cant score runs. Four games is tiny sample but holy cow this offense is looking absolutely awful. Ugly start to season.

6 hits in four games, 6 freaking hits in four games.......:whiteflag:

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  26. HornHuskerDad

^The word "anemic" comes to mind...

27. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

9 hits and 7 runs yesterday. Hopefully start of a trend.:texasflag:

28. HornHuskerDad

^Hope you're right. The pitching has been good enough to keep the Rangers in the game - some more runs here and there and the team could be on top in the AL West. Let's see how they do on this west coast trip.

29. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

It will be interesting to see how they handle an extended Bay Area visit. (The Marlins finally admitted that a "group of players" escaped their hotel in Atlanta and went clubbing where the COVID exposure took place.)

30. HornHuskerDad

Well, the offense came alive in San Fran this afternoon - nine runs, icluding a monster 3-run dinger by Gallo and a 2-run shot into McCovey's Cove by Choo. 9-5 win for the Rangers. Day off Monday, then across the bay to Oakland. Apparently this is their only trip to the Bay area for the 60-game season. Sure would be nice to win the series with the A's.

• Agree Agree x 1