Texas Rangers 2021 Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by ViperHorn, Feb 14, 2021.

1. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Camp opens on the 17th for the voluntary pitchers and catchers and injured players. With mandatory reporting dates of 22 February for pitchers and catchers and 27 February for all players.

While the infield is definitely major league worthy, the question marks that remain at pitcher, catcher, and left and center fields do not offer much hope for anywhere near a .500 record. In reality, anything better than the worse record in baseball should be the cause for celebration.

That all said I look forward to spending nights on the patio watching the effort, and, hopefully, being able to take in the view from the stadium that the citizens of Arlington again have built.

2. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Sadly my expectations this year aren't much more than the faint hope that they aren’t going to be the worst team in baseball. I do hope to get to the new stadium at least a couple of times once it is safe to do so. No spring training trip this year to get my baseball juices flowing so I guess watching Ken Burns’ series will have to get the baseball vibe going. Still it is baseball and hope springs eternal in February for every team.:texasflag:

• Like Like x 1
  3. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

ViperHorn and FWHORN, I (unfortunately) have to agree. If they can finish anywhere better than the worst record in MLB and get a good start on developing the younger players, I'd consider that a decent outcome.
    I do plan to go to five games this season (assuming the COVID situation will allow). I'm trying to keep an open mind about the new digs. The Ballpark was a masterpiece of a retro stadium. We do realize the long-term value of a covered facility, but I have a couple of reservations: (1) the exterior doesn't look as good as the initial artist's rendering, and (2) I wasn't impressed by the decision to go with artificial turf. Some of the reports I've seen say that this latest gerenation of turf is much better than older variants, and plays more like grass - we'll see. And I'm not sure what they can do to make the exterior a bit more enticing.
    I'm also concerned with the parking. With Texas Live in place and The Ballpark still standing (repurposed), there is not a lot of close parking available.

4. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

^^^^^^^
    I agree on the exterior HHD. The jokes about a BBQ grill are unfortunately spot on. They need to develop some type of faux roof equal to the height of the roof that moves so when the roof is closed the stadium will look like it has a flat roof. It will look odd when the roof is open, but less odd than it does now.

I also had issues with the turf, but after watching the playoffs last season most of those concerns went away.

5. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

First exhibition game today at 14:05 v. KC.

7. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

So I will be in Phoenix after all for some family stuff for three days in March but the only day I can try to get to a game is March 15th one of the only off days for the Rangers. With Covid restrictions and limited seating, tickets are hard to find but I am going to look on secondary market and try to catch a game that day somewhere. I still have three of the Arizona spring training sites (Ho Ho Kam, Goodyear and Tempe Diablo) I haven't been to yet so they will be top of my list to try and find tickets at.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not all exhibitions will be 9 innings so don't pay a premium for a 7 inning game after 14 March.

PEORIA, Ariz. -- Cactus League play begins Sunday, and it could look quite different. Spring Training games through March 13 can be five innings, seven innings or nine innings upon mutual agreement of both managers. Games from March 14 to the end of Spring Training can be shortened to seven innings.

• Like Like x 1
  9. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Ended up catching the Cleveland-Oakland game at Goodyear this afternoon. Went full nine so I wasn’t short changed on the game length. Still too early to see much but Oakland looks like they may be able to stick with Houston and it should be a true two horse race for the AL West. Nothing I have read or heard suggests the Rangers will win even 70 games and the over under seems to be about 65.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  10. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The only real question is when does the Rangers throw in the town and lower tickets to $10 per seat.

11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Rangers open the season on 01 April so it is time make some guesses for the season. Since not even the most enthusiastic Ranger supporter would take a .500 season now, there isn't much use predicting a final record. So for this year let's make some guesses like will the Rangers have the worst record in the Division? League? MLB?

If you care to play, think of a couple of questions by Thursday, and I will post them and ask for your guesses by the following Thursday.

12. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

I will guess wins and say 63 wins (meaning they wont hit 100 losses).

Some questions I like include will they have worst record in AL or worst record in MLB.

Some individual questions:

Will Gallo hit 40 home runs and have 200 plus strikeouts
    Will any Ranger starter get to ten wins
    Will the Rangers have a winning record against any AL West opponent

• Like Like x 1
  13. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  14. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

^^^^^
    A year late, but the right decision for the long term.

An interesting note at the very end of the article: "He also announced that Jose Leclerc will undergo Tommy John surgery." Not surprising, and could be the end of Leclerc as a Closer. The positive would be his developing a couple of off-speed and becoming a better-than-average set-up guy.

15. HornHuskerDad

Glad to see the move on Odor - past due. I remember one of the lessons from Econ 101 - "Don't throw good money after bad; sunk costs are gone."

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  16. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Kyle Gibson will be on the mound today as the opening day starter. Nothing about this Ranger team gives reasons for optimism but hey hope springs eternal. If they can just hang around .500 through April............

17. HornHuskerDad

And all hope of a 162-0 record is dashed to pieces on Opening Day. After scoring 5 runs in top of the first, the Rangers are outscored 14-5 for the rest of the game. Now in last place in the AL West.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

161-1 would still be a record setting year!!! The Rangers have until tomorrow to get mentally prepared for win #1 of the year.

19. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Not sure who this pitcher is for Texas but look at the first four batters:

upload_2021-4-2_12-25-33.png

20. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Check out the stats on the guy who just pitched 6.1 innings and gave up 2 hits against the Rangers:

upload_2021-4-5_18-18-3.png

21. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I guess he was due! :whiteflag:

22. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Rangers team era through first four games is over 10, not good!

23. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Wait until August and September.

24. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Well I guess we need to take a picture of the standings tonight because the Rangers are back to .500 with a two game win streak, its not much, but in Rangerland its cause for celebration because it may be the last time the Rangers sniff .500 this year. So lets all enjoy it.

:yippee::bounce1::bounce2::bounce1::yippee::bounce1::bounce2::bounce1::yippee::bounce1::bounce2::bounce1::yippee:

Yes, the opportunities for morbid humor are about the only thing good there is with this team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. HornHuskerDad

^Nailed it, FWHORN. Let's recognize the .500 record today - it might be the last time we see it this season. And let's give some credit to the good pitching today - don't expect to see the Rangers win a lot of 2-1 games, but they did today!

26. HornHuskerDad

I'm going to the game tonight - my first time in the new park. I'll have to get an early start - it's a 6:05 game time, and I'm not quite sure how parking will work out. I had parking down to an art form at the old ballpark (before Texas Live was built), but with most of the old parking gone, it will be an adventure.
    The Rangers were no-hit last night (first no-hitter in Padres history). Hope the good guys can get a win tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  27. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

No offense wasted a good effort from the pitching staff Friday night. Hopefully, HHD's presence will be a positive lift.

HHD a scouting report on the parking will be appreciated. I, like you, had parking down pat at the old Ballpark.

28. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Have fun to tonight HHD looking forward to hearing your thoughts on new park.

29. HornHuskerDad

My youngest son and I went to the game last night. As I suspected, parking is a challenge. Attendance was surprisingly large last night (around 35,000), so there was a lot of traffic. Here's what I learned - hope it helps you guys who are planning to go to a game soon.
    (1) Go to the Rangers website section on the new park - Globe Life Field | Texas Rangers (mlb.com). You'll see the link for parking. Look at the parking map and you'll see that virtually all the close parking lots are reserved and season ticket holder parking. Also note that parking fees vary, depending on which lot you use.
    (2) You can follow the link and find how to prepay and reserve parking. Wish I had noted that sooner - by the time I tried, only the far lots were still available. Don't know how that will work if you start earlier.
    (3) If you park in one of the General parking lots, you're going to have a hike to get to the ballpark. If you park on the northside, you'll have to fight through all the folks going to Texas Live (and there were a bunch last night).
    (4) The ballpark is currently cashless - everything is done on credit card (including parking).
    (5) I live in west central Arlington - about a mile southwest of the intersection of Fielder and Park Row, for those who are familiar with Arlington. I drove north on Fielder and east on Randol Mill to get to the park. I turned left at AT&T Way (east side of the Cowboys stadium) to get to Lot M, the $15 lot. It was a long walk to get to the ballpark. The upside is that getting out of the lot after the game was a breeze.
    (6) I asked the Guest Services folks at the ballpark for some info. My wife is mobility-limited, and there is no way she can make that hike when I take her to a game. No problem - Guest Services said just tell the parking attendant at any lot that you need mobility assistance; they'll page the trolley to come to that lot, pick you up, and take you directly to the entrance. After the game, it will take you back to parking. That will make all the difference for taking my wife to the game.

Now, as for the new ballpark:
    (1) The roof was open last night. My understanding is that the roof will be open as long as weather permits. I'm assuming they'll have to close it when the summer heat takes over.
    (2) Sightlines are great everywhere. In the upper decks, the slope is such that the folks in front of you do not obstruct the view - very good design.
    (3) Concession stands are plentiful. Lines were pretty long last night (high attendance), but there are a lot of choices. Again, it's currently cashless, so have your credit card handy. Prices are a bit higher than they were across the street at the old park.
    (4) The jumbotron is very nice - easy to read from any where.
    (5) There are escalators to get to upper areas, just like the old park - made it easy to get to the upper deck.

That's what I learned yesterday. Hope it's useful info for those of you planning to go soon.

• Like Like x 1
  30. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Awesome report HHD thanks!